Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 499 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
ginnala
Luca Giliberti
Jays
  • Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Succession could very easily be next year’s Fleabag. Both shows had huge buzz in their second seasons. Fleabag prevailed in the very competitive comedy race and the drama race will be competitive once again next year. That doesn’t say a lot, but Netflix still hasn’t won one of the big Emmy awards, so it’s easier for HBO to keep winning.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I get the skepticism but I also think Succession having a presence at the Emmys for its first season should not be an argument against a possible second season explosion. And it’s DGA win makes the argument its not just a writers show. The biggest issue (obviously) is actors, but as wins for Comer and nominations for Clifford pointed out the actors branch seem to have a better pulse on what’s buzzing at the moment so I can see them supporting it in series and at least for Cox or Strong (this is all regarding nominations).

I completely agree. I was just pushing back on the notion that Succession is 100% confirmed to explode when that’s not the case, and we have evidence that supports this. That DGA win was definitely the McKay factor – fuelled by the buzz for Vice. The biggest signifier of its industry support was winning International Programme at BAFTA, which was very impressive. I actually think Culkin is bound to break in next year with several supporting actor spots available, and Strong/Cox joint nominations in lead actor is possible. Macfayden, Snook (especially in lead) and Hunter are longer shots.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Succession could very easily be next year’s Fleabag. Both shows had huge buzz in their second seasons. Fleabag prevailed in the very competitive comedy race and the drama race will be competitive once again next year. That doesn’t say a lot, but Netflix still hasn’t won one of the big Emmy awards, so it’s easier for HBO to keep winning.

But the release date is very important. Fleabag got released in May.

And yes Succession won at the DGA but the directors branch at Emmys prefered Jason Bateman so…

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

have you heard of Fleabag?

Yes I have and I called fleabag winning during nomination phase when people thought it would only get a writing nom and at best lead actress.

Fleabag was the hot new thing in May and that helped it win. Succession is the hot new thing now, 11 months before the ceremony. Nothing tells us that buzz will be the same in a few months.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes I have and I called fleabag winning during nomination phase when people thought it would only get a writing nom and at best lead actress. Fleabag was the hot new thing in May and that helped it win. Succession is the hot new thing now, 11 months before the ceremony. Nothing tells us that buzz will be the same in a few months.

The release date concern is valid especially considering how late premiering this year’s series winners were, but I just looked it up and early-airing drama series winners are in fact pretty common. Granted Succession Season 2 does not have the clout of Breaking Bad Season 5A nor GOT Season 7, but if Homeland S1 could premiere in the fall and go on to win against Mad Men, Breaking Bad, GOT, Downton, and Boardwalk Empire there’s reason to believe Succession can sustain the buzz as well (again, not saying it’s going to win, just saying there’s reason to believe it’ll ride the wave). And never say never I guess but it’s not like the second half of the season looks strong. By January The Crown, Succession, The Morning Show, Big Little Lies, THT, Poses, Stranger Things, Watchmen, His Dark Materials and more will have already aired, the only established players left are Better Call Saul, Westworld, Ozark, and Killing Eve, and none of those will be in the running for a series win.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Voters nominate shows based on the screeners they watch; and the screeners they watch are based on what has buzz and which were previously nominated.

Julian14
    Participant
    Topics:

The Outsider for limited series? I can see acting nominations

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

The Outsider for limited series? I can see acting nominations

It is a drama series.

Julian14
    Participant
    Topics:

It is a drama series.

isn’t iT based on the book? There is just one book right?

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

By January The Crown, Succession, The Morning Show, Big Little Lies, THT, Poses, Stranger Things, Watchmen, His Dark Materials and more will have already aired, the only established players left are Better Call Saul, Westworld, Ozark, and Killing Eve, and none of those will be in the running for a series win.

That’s very true. It will be interesting to see who wins the globe as I don’t think The Crown is a lock there at all.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

That’s very true. It will be interesting to see who wins the globe as I don’t think The Crown is a lock there at all.

And neither is Colman. Jennifer Aniston is my prediction at the moment.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

isn’t iT based on the book? There is just one book right?

It’s been labeled as a drama series pretty much everywhere, when the trailer was released.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Midge and Abe are coming for their second Emmys next year and I can’t wait for you all to see it.

FYC GG : The Crown, Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), The Politician, Years and Years, Maura Tierney ("The Affair"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FYC CC : His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FY SAG : The Crown, The Politician, Years and Years
    FYC BAFTA : His Dark Materials, Years and Years

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Greg Daniels has created a show for Amazon. Do you think it will be contender?

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Unbelievable’s success is really unbelievable. It is going to rule the Limited Series races this winter, we’ll see if the buzz holds until next year though.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.