Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
ginnala
Luca Giliberti
Jays
  • methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Matt Smith was good in Season 2 but yeah Philip is unbearable.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve gone through every review curated by Rotten Tomatoes so far and none had a negative thing to say about Bonham Carter. All are raves. The only mixed one is from NOW Magazine which says she is as fun as Kirby but less charming. The twitter reactions were equally favourable as the rest.

“Now we come to The Crown’s new Princess Margaret, and this is where things fall a little flat. For anyone who had their imaginations captured by Vanessa Kirby’s now-iconic portrayal of the queen’s mesmerising, yet overlooked sister, this might come as a bit of a surprise. Helena Bonham Carter was undoubtedly a huge casting for the Netflix show, but her portrayal of Princess Margaret fails to command the same level of investment as that of her predecessor. This is thanks, at least in part, to her lack of screen time. Pretty much every appearance felt squeezed into the trailer, overpromising her impact on the new 10-part series. Otherwise, she presents more of a caricature of the late princess and it’s hard to feel any real empathy for the character until the very final episode.”

– DigitalSpy

I never make things up and I never lie, there is another one with similar comments about her, but I cannot find it.

wow I really loved Matt Smith’s performance and I wasn’t aware ya’ll disliked it so much in here. This site is always so weird about everything lol.

I could have not said it better.

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

What are we seeing as the frontrunners for the comedy acting categories next year? Because unless any new shows break into the mix, it doesn’t seem like we have any idea of who’s in the lead. In lead actress, I could see Catherine O’Hara picking it up, unless they decide to go with what they’re comfortable with and give Brosnahan trophy #2. Can Ben Platt overcome the mixed critical reception for The Politician, or could we see a Ted Danson win? Assuming Borstein doesn’t pick up Emmy #3 in supporting actress (but she very well could), who else has the strength to overcome? And if Shalhoub doesn’t repeat, could Daniel Levy ride the Schitt’s success to a trophy? I’m really curious to hear your guys’ thoughts on the barren state of comedy next year.

Long shot but I read that Zoe Kravitz is great on high fidelity, could she be nominated for it? (I don’t remember where I read this though).

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoops, I accidentally hit the Ignore button.

I am suppose to care?

I hear a lot of good stuff for S4. Is Malek still Emmy-worthy? Maybe he could return at SAG or/and Emmys.

Season 4 is pure perfection. Malek is as good as always, the show is not that centered around him anymore (just like in season 3, which was very good decision storywise), but Elliot is more of a villain, so he manages to show a new layers of him, he would be very deserving. Season 4, just like season 3, deserves nominations in Drama, Directing, Writing, acting for Malek, B.D. Wong, Carly Chaikin, Portia Doubleday and Grace Gummer. Bobby Cannavale was excellent in season 3, Ashlie Atkinson is marvelous in season 4. Season 3 gave us an entire episode shot in a single shot and season 4 gave us a silent episode and half episode shot in Chinese, an unseen tension and many other things. The underappreciation towards both seasons from the Industry is criminal, at least they have the fandom which literally adores both seasons (me included).

Team Yali
    Participant
    Topics:

Regarding The Crown, are we going to see around 3-4 actors vying for the Supporting Actor slot?

Josh O’Connor – rising star, meaty role though he appears halfway in the series

Ben Daniels – veteran character actor just now getting wider recognition, also nearing EGOT status, meaty role

Charles Dance – they snubbed him in GOT for an Emmy so they could compensate his snub with a nom (but could he be also vying for Guest Actor instead)

Jason Watkins – also a veteran British character actor unknown in the US, and a central character in the series as one of the Queen’s favorite PMs

If these 4 actors are vying for Supporting Actor, it could be safe to have Tobias Menzies for Lead. They had Matt before for Lead in season 1 before they campaigned him for season 2 as Supporting where he got the nom. For now it’s a toss up between Josh and Ben.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Emmys 2020
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Ben Daniels, The Crown

ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

So far the new streaming platforms haven’t really added anything to the Emmy race. The Morning Show is a bit of a dud, despite getting renewed and the other three are forgettable. The Mandalorian is purely entertainment, I don’t see it being an awards magnet. Maybe HBO Max will have some Emmy bait when it launches in May, but if it rolls out shows week-to-week they won’t qualify, but I’m sure they have a plan.

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

So far the new streaming platforms haven’t really added anything to the Emmy race. The Morning Show is a bit of a dud, despite getting renewed and the other three are forgettable. The Mandalorian is purely entertainment, I don’t see it being an awards magnet. Maybe HBO Max will have some Emmy bait when it launches in May, but if it rolls out shows week-to-week they won’t qualify, but I’m sure they have a plan.

I’m still hopeful about Servant. It may surprise everyone and turn into a favorite.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I know we are all tired of seeing the same winners in variety sketch and variety talk series, but John Oliver had a terrific episode this week, proving once again the show is more than deserving.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I know we are all tired of seeing the same winners in variety sketch and variety talk series, but John Oliver had a terrific episode this week, proving once again the show is more than deserving.

I’d rather see Oliver win a billion dildos than Saturday Cringe Live. Ik we’re all tired of SNL and stuff, but it’s really an achievement for sure to write a bunch of sketches for a bunch of Saturdays any season. I just think the show was much better years before when it wasn’t so political. But you gotta stay relevant I guess, and the only way to do so now seems to go mainly political..

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Long shot but I read that Zoe Kravitz is great on high fidelity, could she be nominated for it? (I don’t remember where I read this though).

Since she won’t get nominated for Big Little Lies, would still love to see her as a nominee at the ceremony! And now that the show’s moved from Disney+ to Hulu, she has a MUCH better chance at a nod. This is a sign that the series became too adult for a Disney+ audience (which is definitely a good thing). And her stepping it up on BLL this season can only get her more goodwill. Now we just gotta give Woodley all the support possible or throw her in a supporting TV Movie or comedy role super quick so all the BLL ladies can be nominees!

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I couldn’t care less for Kravitz. She’s mediocre and passable, but I feel sorry for her, back at the Emmys and all awards season for S1 of BLL, it must have been so cringy and uncomfortable to be the only one not nominated for an award (not that she had the material). So, if she somehow delivers the best performance she can possibly deliver and get some awards recognition I’ll be happy for her. She’s probably traumatised lol.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

+1 for all the Mr. Robot S4 and Rami Malek praise. Its days in the Emmy sun are clearly over but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it show up in a few random techs as it has the past few seasons. It is absolutely one of the best crafted shows on television – direction, cinematography, music, editing, I could go on – and its lack of recognition is one of the bigger snubs of the last few years. That said, post Bohemian Rhapsody, I would not be shocked to see Malek surprise. I think I have him in at SAG at the moment.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  jacob121.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  jacob121.
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Jen Anniston will miss for the Morning Show, despite it somewhat underwhelming its a crowdpleaser and Apple TV+ is cheap and its not that hard for it to be free so of all the new streamers, that one seems like the best bet to be an awards player. Disney+ for surer won’t be, but they don’t care about that. HBO Max is such a question mark, because how it compares to regular HBO in pricing is pretty confusing. For now, I would assume anything thats an awards player will still be on main HBO.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

That said, post Bohemian Rhapsody, I would not be shocked to see Malek surprise. I think I have him in at SAG at the moment.

I would not be shocked if he surprised based on the quality of his performance, however the Industry ignored the stellar season 3, it would be shocking if they return now. Also, they clearly disliked

I don’t think Jen Anniston will miss for the Morning Show, despite it somewhat underwhelming its a crowdpleaser

She will certainly MISS. Aniston is not a favorite of the Academy, she was nominated only for 5 of the 10 seasons of Friends, and she managed to win only 1 time. Her last Emmy nom is for a guest spot in 30 rock 10 years ago. The buzz for the show is non-existing, it only has 5 000 votes on IMDB. The reviews have been horrendous.

Also, this is the MOST COMPETITIVE category at the Emmys, Aniston is not beating for a nomination:
    1. Moss – Phenomenal in S3 with a lot of new layers for June, for the majority of people June is the female performance of the decade.
    2. Colman – It seems that she is on the level of Foy.
    3. Kidman – Stellar in season 2 of BLL, same level as S1.
    4. Comer – Industry and fan favorite, also the last winner.
    5. Oh – Overdue and perennial nominee.
    6. Moore – So far has been an incredible season 4 for her, her material in the second half will be very meaty. This is us will remain in Drama.
    7. Linney – Academy favorite and the second most prolific representation for Netflix.
    8. Davis – She has never missed, this is the last season of HTGAWAM.
    9. Danes – Last season of Homeland.
    10. Wood – She has never missed for Westworld.
    11. Snook – Lead in next Academy favorite Succession.
    12. King – Academy favorite, lead in HBO which is the favorite channel/producer of the Academy.
    13. Witherspoon – Previous nominee for BLL.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

She will certainly MISS. Aniston is not a favorite of the Academy, she was nominated only for 5 of the 10 seasons of Friends, and she managed to win only 1 time. Her last Emmy nom is for a guest spot in 30 rock 10 years ago. The buzz for the show is non-existing, it only has 5 000 votes on IMDB. The reviews have been horrendous. Also, this is the MOST COMPETITIVE category at the Emmys, Aniston is not beating for a nomination: 1. Moss – Phenomenal in S3 with a lot of new layers for June, for the majority of people June is the female performance of the decade. 2. Colman – It seems that she is on the level of Foy. 3. Kidman – Stellar in season 2 of BLL, same level as S1. 4. Comer – Industry and fan favorite, also the last winner. 5. Oh – Overdue and perennial nominee. 6. Moore – So far has been an incredible season 4 for her, her material in the second half will be very meaty. This is us will remain in Drama. 7. Linney – Academy favorite and the second most prolific representation for Netflix. 8. Davis – She has never missed, this is the last season of HTGAWAM. 9. Danes – Last season of Homeland. 10. Wood – She has never missed for Westworld. 11. Snook – Lead in next Academy favorite Succession. 12. King – Academy favorite, lead in HBO which is the favorite channel/producer of the Academy. 13. Witherspoon – Previous nominee for BLL.

Lol Moss is not beating Colman and she’s not ahead of Comer, Moore is not ahead of Linney, Wood, King and Witherspoon, Danes is not ahead of Witherspoon, Wood and King, Snook isn’t ahead of Witherspoon.

If anything this is the order of those actresses’s chances for an Emmy nomination :

1. Colman
    2. Kidman
    3. Comer
    4. Moss
    5. Oh
    6. Witherspoon
    7. Wood
    8. Linney
    9. Davis
    10. King
    11. Keen
    12. Moore
    13. Snook
    14. Danes

FYC GG : The Crown, Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), The Politician, Years and Years, Maura Tierney ("The Affair"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FYC CC : His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FY SAG : The Crown, The Politician, Years and Years
    FYC BAFTA : His Dark Materials, Years and Years

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.