Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
ginnala
Luca Giliberti
Jays
  • Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

From the strongest series contenders alone, there’s no room for Aniston.
    Big Little Lies: Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon
    The Crown: Olivia Colman
    The Handmaid’s Tale: Elisabeth Moss
    Killing Eve: Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer
    Ozark: Laura Linney
    Succession: Sarah Snook
    This Is Us: Mandy Moore
    Westworld: Evan Rachel Wood
    Colman, Moss and for me Kidman too are locks. If we were to eliminate some of them, I’d eliminate Sarah Snook because the love of the acting branch for Succession has yet to be proven and I feel like the other contenders will be stronger than her anyway. I’d put Moore behind Wood because that’s what happened last year, but we still have to see the rest of Moore this season and Wood’s season. Linney is vulnerable; if the category is stacked with solid contenders she’s probably not getting in. At the same time, I feel like both Oh & Comer and Witherspoon can get in, because the actors can check off whoever they want, and if many people check off Kidman, they’re probably checking Witherspoon as well, since it’s a previously Emmy-nominated role, and she did have a good season too. Oh & Comer is basically a package deal. And let’s not forget there’s also Viola Davis who’s never been snubbed for the role of Annalise. She has passion, and she could as well sneak in, since it’s also her final season.
    As for Aniston, this is not the same acting branch 20 years ago. The Morning Show will most likely be forgotten until then, but I’m staying reserved, cause its season is not yet over and it might be brewing some miracles.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just so confused why Winona Ryder is considered lead… and not David Harbour?

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just so confused why Winona Ryder is considered lead… and not David Harbour?

Because she’s thirsty of the Emmy nod.

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

Killing Eve has a different showrunner for every season. I hope the new one is as good as Fennell and PWB.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I was going to list my predictions for Drama Actress and realized that beyond Colman, Kidman and Moss, it could just be anyone. It also made me realize that Moss is probably indeed a lock at this point.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

The Morning Show will NEVER be nominated for Drama

Thats also a way too bold statement. As some pointed out before, Ozark has mediocre reviews and yet is an Emmy favorite. TMS metascore is in 60s, not 30s. It’s totally possible it becomes an industry favorite even if it’s not a critical one.

Yes Apple is brand new and untested, but let’s forget there are multiple (big) talents having projects with them. It’s totally possible they want Apple to get into Emmy conversation, just like people working in broadcast shows are using This Is Us as their champion.

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

According to Ryan Murphy, Hollywood premieres May 1st, The Politician s2 premieres in July and he reaffirmed Ratched will debut in September : “it’s a big fall show. It’s a feminist psychological horror show. We’ve been done with that for a while. It’s the performance of Sarah Paulson’s life.”

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Any of the top 15 contenders for drama lead actress’ could make it into the final nominees, with the top three are the closet to locks in my opinion.

1. Olivia Colman (Recent Oscar winner, returning series nominee, Emmy winning role, Emmyless thespian, her lose for Fleabag last year felt intentionally “we’ll get to you next year”.)
    2. Elisabeth Moss (THT was the only non GoT drama series to get double digit nominations this past year, with three episodes from an already nominated year old season.)
    3. Nicole Kidman
    Confident in the following
    4. Reese Witherspoon (feels like a package deal with Kidman.)
    5. Jodie Comer (returning incumbent.)
    6. Sandra Oh (package deal with Comer.)
    7. Viola Davis (final season and has never missed for playing Prof. Annalise Keating, esq.)

With the duo package’s of BLL & Killing Eve, Reese and Sandra missing while their co-stars don’t is entirely possible, see Stonestreet missing but Ferguson in for Modern Family in 2013.
    Next in line
    8. Evan Rachel Wood (series nominee, returning nominee.)
    9. Mandy Moore (was below Wood in 2018, think it will be the same in 2020.)
    10. Laura Linney (felt like a namecheck last year in a show voters like, keeping top ten until otherwise.)
    Spoilers
    11. Jennifer Anniston (TMS could be another Ozark where it’s a mild critically reception but the industry goes apeshit for it. Likewise it could also just another Homecoming – Amazon show, not A Film by Beyoncé.)
    12. Zendaya (phenomenal performance, has the cool factor, show is adored by those watch it – Hello Leo – and S2 will be airing during voting, if she manages Globe+SAG will bump either Reese or Sandra for her.)
    13. Sarah Snook (lead of a series nominee but unproven by acting branch but still a possibility if they take to the show, a la Sian Clifford. Will bump higher is show wins SAG.)
    14. Regina King (voters recently started to like her, however, her show is a slow burn, feels too niche for enough support and eternal HBO competition. The Leftovers to Succession’s GoT.)
    15. MJ Rodriguez (similar to Snook, lead of a series nominee, but overlooked for co-star, bump higher if show wins SAG.)
    Theoretical Possibilities
    16. Dafne Keen (HBO doesn’t feel confident it all with this – hello Monday airings – but she’s been fantastic in what’s been seen so far.)
    17. Elisabeth Olsen (if people knew about her show / how to watch it she would be winning hands down.)
    18. Christine Baranski (who am I trying to convince here, she couldn’t make in 2019 of all years, she’s never getting in. Sigh.)
    19. Claire Danes (only considering her because of her stature, role and final season.)
    20. Taraji P. Henson (see Claire Danes.)

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

According to Ryan Murphy, Hollywood premieres May 1st, The Politician s2 premieres in July and he reaffirmed Ratched will debut in September : “it’s a big fall show. It’s a feminist psychological horror show. We’ve been done with that for a while. It’s the performance of Sarah Paulson’s life.”

Ratched and ACS: Impeachment airing within weeks of each other. Bold move Murphy.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My worry about Viola is that she was snubbed last year when the field was stacked – well, she was snubbed in lead. Next year it’s even more stacked, so I don’t really see how she returns. She’s certainly deserving though; she already has a tape with the premiere.

And I’m also starting to sense (like Ivo has said) that Yvonne Strahovski is indeed ahead of Ann Dowd. They’ve already rewarded Dowd and Strahovski is the one who has been picking up more momentum as the show’s gone on. We already saw with Oh vs. Comer that they don’t just check off the veteran.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t wait for all three!

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

Reese Witherspoon (feels like a package deal with Kidman.)

Honestly this. Unless she gives a win worthy performance in Little Fires Everywhere, I see a name checking happening here.

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

Where did you see this?

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Moore was a one-time thing. She got in this year due to weaker competition. I’m also thinking the Big Little Lies and Killing Eve duos might not get double nominations.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

People applied the same duo logic when predicting Comer for S1 at the Emmys and Rhys+Russell wins last year. This sort of thinking is inherently faulty because it ignores the competition at play entirely, among other things. Kidman can easily get nominated without Witherspoon. The same can happen with Comer and Oh.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.