Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
ginnala
Luca Giliberti
Jays
  • Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that there’s room for him, but I don’t think he’ll end up making it in. They just don’t really seem to be watching Mr. Robot anymore, and I don’t think he has quite enough power to be a namecheck on the level of Viola or Regina just yet.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Brayden list is very similar to mine and is pretty accurate. I agree with Mukund, the pairings are not obligatory, sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. The definite list based on what have we SEEN/READ so far: 1. Elisabeth Moss 2. Olivia Colman 3. Nicole Kidman HUGE MARGIN 4. Jodie Comer (if we assume that her new season will be as good as the previous two) 5. Mandy Moore (if we assume that her second half of the season keeps being that good and probably even better than the first half) 6. Sandra Oh (if we assume that her new season will be as good as the previous two) 7. Evan Rachel Wood (if we assume that her new season will be as good as the previous two) 8. Laura Linney (if we assume that her new season will be as good as the second season) 9. Viola Davis (good material, but lack of prestige for her show) 10. Reese Witherspoon (divisive second season and minor storyline in comparison to her first season, competition with herself for other shows, eclipsed by Kidman) 11. Sarah Snook (I have yet to see the second season, but I wouldn’t have nominated her as Lead for the first, she must be seen as unanimous MVP and as Lead in S2 to achieve that, and from what I am reading, only Brian Cox is seen like that) 12. Claire Danes (only if she has a mind-blowing final season) 13. Jennifer Aniston (only if Ginnala is correct and The Morning Shows turns out to be a surprising hit between the industry just like Ozark) 14. Zendaya (only if Leonardo DiCaprio manages to convince the rest of the Industry to watch her show) 15. Regina King (only if the first seasons explodes in quality and buzz in a huge way becoming a pop culture phenomenon) HUGE MARGIN only in a case of a miracle as big as Elsa magic in Frozen 16. MJ Rodriguez 17. Taraji P. Henson 18. Dafne Keen 19. Christine Baranski 20. Elisabeth Olsen

Your THT bias clearly is showing here. There is no way Colman and Kidman are less likely to get a nomination than Moss if it’s based on what you’ve read or seen and Oh has a better chance the Moore (don’t forget Oh has never missed, Moore has)

FYC GG : The Crown, Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), The Politician, Years and Years, Maura Tierney ("The Affair"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FYC CC : His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FY SAG : The Crown, The Politician, Years and Years
    FYC BAFTA : His Dark Materials, Years and Years

Lance
    Participant
    Topics:

I think what helped Ozark get industry support with its weaker reviews is because it’s similar to Breaking Bad though The Morning Show isn’t.

I think the reason it got nominated was, it was in a less competitive year, it had respectable talents like Bateman and Linney who a lot of people were raving over and I don’t think being similar to any show has anything to do with getting a nom. Also it is Netflix and filled in for the Stranger Things spot Netflix has, even though Bodyguard was nominated.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Lance.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Lance.
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Nah, they just like Ozark. It’s not because it reminds them of another show or anything, they just like it. Most people do, tbh. I remember watching it and loving it and being surprised critics didn’t feel the same way.

A show doesn’t win multiple Emmys because it reminded voters of another show lol.

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

They literally like those types of shows it’s not that difficult to understand The Sopranos and Breaking Bad were both crime based both won Outstanding Drama Series two times and won 9 acting awards Ozark is similar to both of those and just won for Acting and Directing. I’m not saying it’s the sole reason why it did good but it helps.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Ozark is very entertaining and I don’t understand why the critics hate it.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Your THT bias clearly is showing here. There is no way Colman and Kidman are less likely to get a nomination than Moss if it’s based on what you’ve read or seen and Oh has a better chance the Moore (don’t forget Oh has never missed, Moore has)

Not at all, some of you have comprehension problems. I have clearly put Moss, Kidman and Colman on the same level, I consider Moss performance in season 3 of THT suprior to Kidman performance in S2 of BLL. And I put Colman second due to her incredible reviews, but I have to watch her personally to put her first.

And if someone has a bias is you and is towards Moore. Unlike Oh and her S3 for which we DON’T KNOW anything, we have seen half of the season of Moore and she is glorious, why Oh must be in front when Killing Eve 3 might be a flop?

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that there’s room for him, but I don’t think he’ll end up making it in. They just don’t really seem to be watching Mr. Robot anymore

Exactly, the don’t. Yes, Lead actor is less competitive, but enoug for him not to have a chance, based on what have we SEEN/READ:

1. Sterling K. Brown (great season, really lead)
    2. Milo Ventimiglia (great episodes, less screen time, but bigger impact)
    3. Tobias Menzies (based on reviews)
    4. Billy Porter (last year’s winner and had an amazing second season)
    5. Bob Odenkirk (perennial nominee)
    6. Jason Bateman (perennial nominee)
    7. Jeffrey Wright (if season 3 is as good as the others and if he is Lead again)
    8. Ed Harris (if season 3 is as good as the others and if he is Lead again)
    9. Brian Cox (the MVP of S2 according to many)
    10. Jeremy Strong (the heart of the show)
    11. Rami Malek (if a miracle happens)
    12. Liev Schreiber (if a miracle happens)

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

Exactly, the don’t. Yes, Lead actor is less competitive, but enoug for him not to have a chance, based on what have we SEEN/READ: 1. Sterling K. Brown (great season, really lead) 2. Milo Ventimiglia (great episodes, less screen time, but bigger impact) 3. Tobias Menzies (based on reviews) 4. Billy Porter (last year’s winner and had an amazing second season) 5. Bob Odenkirk (perennial nominee) 6. Jason Bateman (perennial nominee) 7. Jeffrey Wright (if season 3 is as good as the others and if he is Lead again) 8. Ed Harris (if season 3 is as good as the others and if he is Lead again) 9. Brian Cox (the MVP of S2 according to many) 10. Jeremy Strong (the heart of the show) 11. Rami Malek (if a miracle happens) 12. Liev Schreiber (if a miracle happens)

You’re showing what I’ve been thinking for a while, there is little room for succession actors to get in, it will be hard even for just one of them to make it, unless they drop Odenkirk because I still don’t think they are watching that show.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh, Jeremy Strong had a winning performance last season with “Nobody Is Ever Missing” and he wasn’t even nominated… I hate the Academy!

This season he’s even better with multiple phenomenal episodes. I prefer him over Cox, even though Cox is equally deserving.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly, the don’t. Yes, Lead actor is less competitive, but enoug for him not to have a chance, based on what have we SEEN/READ: 1. Sterling K. Brown (great season, really lead) 2. Milo Ventimiglia (great episodes, less screen time, but bigger impact) 3. Tobias Menzies (based on reviews) 4. Billy Porter (last year’s winner and had an amazing second season) 5. Bob Odenkirk (perennial nominee) 6. Jason Bateman (perennial nominee) 7. Jeffrey Wright (if season 3 is as good as the others and if he is Lead again) 8. Ed Harris (if season 3 is as good as the others and if he is Lead again) 9. Brian Cox (the MVP of S2 according to many) 10. Jeremy Strong (the heart of the show) 11. Rami Malek (if a miracle happens) 12. Liev Schreiber (if a miracle happens)

Fairly solid list. Like you say, Malek and Schreiber are possible, but very unlikely. The other 10 all sound like solid contenders. Do we have confirmation of Better Call Saul and Ozark coming out in time? I see a lot of variables in play with the Westworld actors. One or both of them could be moved back down to supporting, and Paul could possibly be campaigned as lead. I also wonder if the show could be hurt by not taking a decent amount of time off like Veep. We’ll have to see how well received this next season is. A lot of people didn’t care for season 2, and season 3 looks like it’s making some pretty big changes to the show’s formula. Hopefully they’re for the better.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re showing what I’ve been thinking for a while, there is little room for succession actors to get in, it will be hard even for just one of them to make it, unless they drop Odenkirk because I still don’t think they are watching that show.

Yeah, we definitely agree on the Succession duo. I still think that they watch Better Call Saul, but they just respect it, they do not love it.

Fairly solid list. Like you say, Malek and Schreiber are possible, but very unlikely. The other 10 all sound like solid contenders. Do we have confirmation of Better Call Saul and Ozark coming out in time? I see a lot of variables in play with the Westworld actors. One or both of them could be moved back down to supporting, and Paul could possibly be campaigned as lead. I also wonder if the show could be hurt by not taking a decent amount of time off like Veep.

Yeah, agree on everything, Westworld has a lot of uncertain things around it.

Both Ozark and Better Call Saul are supposed to return in the early 2020, so both should be eligible.

Lance
    Participant
    Topics:

Totally agree with the list above! This Is Us is having a great season from what I hear, and the performances might put the show back in the hunt for the major awards. I honestly thought it might be on its way out the door, but i think i might be wrong!

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

TV Academy members who are not working in the industry for more than four years won’t be eligible to vote for Emmys.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/awards/emmys-tv-academy-voting-status-vetting-process-1203406366/amp/

Lance
    Participant
    Topics:

When will Ozark Season 3 premire, I remember them saying late 2019 but I guess that isn’t happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.