TCA 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 372 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Brayden Fitzs..
Tyler
  • Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

Watchmen shouldn’t be nominated for New Program. So I would say Unbelievable has the edge here.

On the other hand… Watchmen got New Program. Which is crazy and shows how much support they have.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Predicted winners:

Program: Watchmen (Succession)
    New Program: The Great (Watchmen)

Drama: Succession (Better Call Saul)
    Comedy: Insecure (Schitt’s Creek)
    Limited: Watchmen (Unbelievable)

Individual (Drama): Regina King (Cate Blanchett)
    Individual (Comedy): Catherine O’Hara (Pamela Adlon)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Predicted winners: Program: Watchmen (Succession) New Program: The Great (Watchmen) Drama: Succession (Better Call Saul) Comedy: Insecure (Schitt’s Creek) Limited: Watchmen (Unbelievable) Individual (Drama): Regina King (Cate Blanchett) Individual (Comedy): Catherine O’Hara (Pamela Adlon)

This ones gonna be hella tough to predict between the two. I am so conflicted!

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I actually feel Watchmen will easily take this based on its relevance to the current atmosphere. It even managed to surpass Succession in the year end lists, even if slightly, when more critics got round to completing it. The Program category feels made to honor shows like these. Succession is guaranteed that Drama win though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually feel Watchmen will easily take this based on its relevance to the current atmosphere. It even managed to surpass Succession in the year end lists, even if slightly, when more critics got round to completing it. The Program category feels made to honor shows like these. Succession is guaranteed that Drama win though.

I can understand that but don’t forget that apart from at DGA Succession more or less beat Watchmen in every category they went up against each other in (including at the Critics Choice Awards).

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think what these nominations have shown is that people on this site (in some cases myself included) have been underestimating Mrs. America, Unbelievable and Succession because of possible lack of support in writing, directing or acting and that actually it looks like they’re likely to over-perform on nominations day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I can understand that but don’t forget that apart from at DGA Succession more or less beat Watchmen in every category they went up against each other in (including at the Critics Choice Awards).

Regina King over Sarah Snook? Apart from CC series, PGA and WGA was there any other place Watchmen lost to Succession tbf?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jacob121
    Topics:

Are we going to be able to predict these this year?

A lot to like among these nominees, namely, RHEA SEEHORN. I have incorrectly predicted her multiple times, am I about to do it again?

I think this is Better Things’ first time in comedy series? It is Pamela Adlon’s fourth.

The Great slyly doing well here as well, make me more confident having it in my eighth slot.

The Plot Against America and What We Do in the Shadows making their respective categories is also great to see.

Critics are not really here for Ozark or Maisel so not surprised to see them out.

I’d say Schitt’s was a little soft for allegedly being such a “darling.”

Regina is coming for her crown.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Happy to see The Good Fight pick up another nom for Outstanding Achievement in Drama this year (for a shortened season as well!)

Yay for Insecure and Issa Rae! Also cool to see The Great acknowledged and The Plot Against America in Miniseries.

With the domination of actors making it into Individual Achievement in Drama from miniseries, both this year and last, do you think that perhaps the TCAs should create a separate category for “Individual Achievement in a Miniseries or Made-for-TV Movie”???

It doesn’t seem fair that actors from a continuing normal Drama series are forced to compete with actors from either a single film or one-off project… especially while the actors in Comedy don’t have to deal with that issue.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Since 2006 only four prior times have Guest/Supporting performances been nominated (Alan Alda, John Lithgow, Margo Martindale and Monica Potter) and only once has someone missed (Potter). In the other instances the nominee has won the Emmy. So either Seehorn gets snubbed or she’s winning.

I feel like eating a crow considering I put her in the mid teens this morning.

In terms of Lead Drama Actor performances since 2015:

2019 – Billy Porter (won the Emmy)
    2018 – Matthew Rhys (won the Emmy)
    2017 – Sterling K Brown (won the Emmy)
    2016 –  Bob Odenkirk (nominated for the Emmy), Rami Malek (won the Emmy)
    2015 – Bob Odenkirk (nominated for the Emmy), Jon Hamm (won the Emmy), Matthew Rhys (snubbed)

I think Strong is winning the Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Regina King over Sarah Snook? Apart from CC series, PGA and WGA was there any other place Watchmen lost to Succession tbf?

I meant in terms of Series but yes you are right about King beating Snook (I completely forgot Snook was even nominated at CC lmao).

Well the only other place both were nominated together was at DGA where Watchmen won over Succession.

The reason I am hesitant is because it is possible that voters will feel that they are giving Limited Program of the Year to Watchmen and give Program of the Year to Succession. I mean that is more or less what the writers did when Watchmen was competing in Drama (award it New Series whilst awarding Succession Drama Series and Episodic Drama). However I may be overestimating the possibility that the thinking of writers is similar to the critics.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’d say Schitt’s was a little soft for allegedly being such a “darling.” Regina is coming for her crown.

Especially considering a lot of people were considering Dan Levy/Eugene Levy to be nominated here.

Regina is coming for her crown.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jacob121
    Topics:

I meant in terms of Series but yes you are right about King beating Snook (I completely forgot Snook was even nominated at CC lmao).

Well the only other place both were nominated together was at DGA where Watchmen won over Succession.

The reason I am hesitant is because it is possible that voters will feel that they are giving Limited Program of the Year to Watchmen and give Program of the Year to Succession. I mean that is more or less what the writers did when Watchmen was competing in Drama (award it New Series whilst awarding Succession Drama Series and Episodic Drama). However I may be overestimating the possibility that the thinking of writers is similar to the critics.

I think you have it backwards. Watchmen is locked for Program of the Year. Succession may still win drama, though – the TCAs do things like that all the time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think you have it backwards. Watchmen is locked for Program of the Year. Succession may still win drama, though – the TCAs do things like that all the time.

I wouldn’t say it’s locked but either could win program of the year.

I didn’t say Succession was locked lmao. That would be like giving preferential treatment to my older child (I love Watchmen!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Since 2006 only four prior times have Guest/Supporting performances been nominated (Alan Alda, John Lithgow, Margo Martindale and Monica Potter)

Not the erasure of double nominee Peter Dinklage for Game of Thrones lol.

There were also Jessica Lange for AHS S1 and Walton Goggins for The Shield. Your point still stands if we ignore Dinklage’s second nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 372 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.