TCA 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 429 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
gabspss
Victor
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Ramy Youssef was the only man nominated in this category last year so the same can very well happen again.

Did he win ?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Did he win ?

No but he lost to Catherine O’Hara who obviously went on to sweep the season.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think these voters will be looking at the optics of Sudeikis winning in a field of 5 other women when voting. Nor will it “look bad” considering he’s winning the Emmy and aside from the Pen15 ladies, is the only one in this category who created or co-created their show. And I say this as someone who prefers Cuoco, Erskine, Goldsberry, Konkle and Smart’s performances.

That being said, whilst I’m not predicting such a thing, it wouldn’t surprise me if Smart ended up winning. There seems to be a lot of critical passion for her performance in Hacks and the buzz for Mare can only help her here.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Umm Jodie Comer, Ricky Gervais, Hugh Laurie, Helen Mirren, Matthew Rhys and Phoebe Waller-Bridge all have things they’d like to say to you.

I said: “as a whole”, and you just proved me right with a handful of names…

I highly doubt Shaun Parkes makes it in over Boyega (who I’m not predicting to get in either although it wouldn’t surprise me if he did) even though I think Parkes should be winning the Emmy. Similar thing with the cast of It’s a Sin.

I know you and I agree on all that. I think that TCA are very capable to choose a different performer from Small Axe. But yes, they might ignore that and It’s a Sin entirely and choose Elizabeth Olsen instead.

braydenfitzsimmons wrote:
    • Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird – Individual Achievement in Drama

If he sneaks in here, I’m 90% sure he’s winning the Emmy. Please let it be

For

Totally, he can even be the only nominated man in Drama, which will make him an instant Emmy winner. TCA are excellent at predicting male winners though nominations. Last year, they only nominated Ruffalo and Strong, both won the Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I said: “as a whole”, and you just proved me right with a handful of names…

And how does that prove that they have a “bias” against British actors lol? British thespians have only started to perform better at the Emmys during this era of peak TV as British television has had greater visibility due to the rise of streaming services and British co-productions are more and more popular.

Aside from Foy and Smith which British actors who have won Emmys have been snubbed at TCA?

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Totally, he can even be the only nominated man in Drama, which will make him an instant Emmy winner. TCA are excellent at predicting male winners though nominations. Last year, they only nominated Ruffalo and Strong, both won the Emmy.

Let’s hope
    He’s already the moral winner with the best performance of the category.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

If Hawke and Boyega get in, I’ll predict both of them to win their respective Emmy categories. I think they’re the two most likely male nominees here.

For Your Consideration:

I May Destroy You in all categories
    (especially Michaela Coel in Lead Actress and Writing)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Hawke does get in here whilst The Good Lord Bird misses miniseries I think he could be this year’s Mark Ruffalo to Paul Bettany’s Jeremy Irons and Ewan McGregor’s Hugh Jackman.

Hopefully Hugh Grant is this year’s Russell Crowe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ManavD.
    Topics:

Aside from Foy and Smith which British actors who have won Emmys have been snubbed at TCA?

Snubbing Foy was quite outrageous considering how she flawlessly portrayed Queen Elizabeth effortlessly. It really gave Helen Mirren a run for her money (ofc both portrayals were different in a way as Mirren’s showed a mature responsible monarch while Foy’s was a youth’s natural impulse )…

Is it possible that Smith was snubbed continuosly at TCA cause her role was small? But even that is a bit strange as she was such a scene stealer and was the face of Downton Abbey…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

No but he lost to Catherine O’Hara who obviously went on to sweep the season.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think these voters will be looking at the optics of Sudeikis winning in a field of 5 other women when voting. Nor will it “look bad” considering he’s winning the Emmy and aside from the Pen15 ladies, is the only one in this category who created or co-created their show. And I say this as someone who prefers Cuoco, Erskine, Goldsberry, Konkle and Smart’s performances.

That being said, whilst I’m not predicting such a thing, it wouldn’t surprise me if Smart ended up winning. There seems to be a lot of critical passion for her performance in Hacks and the buzz for Mare can only help her here.

These categories have been dominated by women in the last few years. Sterling K. Brown lost to Carrie Coon being the only man in the category.

Amy Schumer won against Jeffrey Tambor, who won the Emmy and was the only man in this category.

Michelle Williams winning against Emmy winner Billy Porter, whose show was in POY. Again, the only man in the category.

There’s a very realistic chance that Smart wins if it follows that trend.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is it possible that Smith was snubbed continuosly at TCA cause her role was small?

Well I mean it’s probably more plausible than her getting snubbed because she’s British lol.

I think Smith missed for two reasons. The first being that the critical passion for Downton plateaud from its fourth season onwards and the other being that until 2015, there were only 5 nominees. Likewise the size of her role probably hurt her.

Snubbing Foy was quite outrageous considering how she flawlessly portrayed Queen Elizabeth effortlessly.

They nominated her for season 1 but that snub for her phenomenal performance in season 2 was UNACCEPTABLE.

At least she had the last laugh lol:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sterling K. Brown lost to Carrie Coon being the only man in the category. Amy Schumer won against Jeffrey Tambor, who won the Emmy and was the only man in this category. Michelle Williams winning against Emmy winner Billy Porter, whose show was in POY. Again, the only man in the category. There’s a very realistic chance that Smart wins if it follows that trend.

Each of these performers had a tonne of critical passion though and more so than each of the men nominated which isn’t really the case for Sudeikis this time round.

If Smart wins here (which I feel is very much growing as a possibility because she’s giving Michelle Williams vibes with the amount of buzz and critical passion she has) it will be because of her passion, not because Jason Sudeikis will be the only man nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Is it possible that Smith was snubbed continuosly at TCA cause her role was small? But even that is a bit strange as she was such a scene stealer and was the face of Downton Abbey…

Smith never received a CC nomination so I’d say it was more because of her lacking support from critics to make it in in an extremely competitive category like that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Smith never received a CC nomination

Probably because she kept undeservingly winning over people like Headey, Hendricks and Tierney lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

And how does that prove that they have a “bias” against British actors lol? British thespians have only started to perform better at the Emmys during this era of peak TV as British television has had greater visibility due to the rise of streaming services and British co-productions are more and more popular.

This is the second time that you fight that information provided by me without doing your homework…. Not sure why.

TCA have never rewarded a British performer in Drama in the last decade – NEVER. Only 2 British performers have won in Drama in their entire history – Hugh Laurie and Ian McShane, both for VERY American shows – House and Deadwood. Nominations wise, the thing is much worse.

Inexcusable:

Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Thandiwe Newton, Damian Lewis, Archie Panjabi, Ben Whishaw, Riz Ahmed, Kate Winslet and Tom Wilkinson.

A little more understandable:

Vanessa Redgrave, Kelly Macdonald, Eileen Atkins, Julia Ormond, Jeremy Irons, Brian Cox, Brendan Gleeson, Albert Finney and Kenneth Branagh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Probably because she kept undeservingly winning over people like Headey, Hendricks and Tierney lol.

Which is why we pretend this picture of Lena is at the 2016 Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 429 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.