TCA 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 431 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
gabspss
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Ugh, poor Lena. She should have three Emmys for GOT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Thandiwe Newton, Damian Lewis, Archie Panjabi, Ben Whishaw, Riz Ahmed, Kate Winslet and Tom Wilkinson.

You’re overthinking here.

How on earth are Martin Freeman, Damian Lewis, Thandiwe Newton and Archie Panjabi missing due to British bias lmao? It’s a rarity that two performances from a show get nominated and Freeman, Lewis and Panjabi NEVER gave the most buzzed about or acclaimed performance on their shows. Newton was on a show that TCA didn’t seem to be that high about. Likewise each of Freeman, Newton and Panjabi all gave supporting performances (which unless you’re named Rhea Seehorn or Peter Dinklage hardly get nominated here). Are we supposed to assume that Sarah Snook missed last year because of Aussie bias? Julia Garner because of a New Yorker bias?

Cumberbatch and Whishaw’s shows were ones that TCA wasn’t really high for. Kate Winslet missed out in a field of 5 at a time when they only nominated two “limited series” performances at TCA (Al Pacino’s in Angels of America and Helen Mirren’s in Prime Suspect : The Final Act). Frances McDormand missed for Emmy sweeper Olive Kitteridge. Are we supposed to assume she also missed because of British bias?

The only one here that really fits the definition of “inexcusable” is Riz Ahmed but even then he was snubbed for Claire Foy, who is British (and also got nominated over her American co-star John Lithgow). So his snub is hardly as a result of TCA having some unfounded bias against British actors lol.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Kate Winslet missed out in a field of 5 at a time when they only nominated two “limited series” performances at TCA (Al Pacino’s in Angels of America and Helen Mirren’s in Prime Suspect : The Final Act).  

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

You’re overthinking here.

How on earth are Martin Freeman, Damian Lewis, Thandiwe Newton and Archie Panjabi missing due to British bias lmao? It’s a rarity that two performances from a show get nominated and Freeman, Lewis and Panjabi NEVER gave the most buzzed about or acclaimed performance on their shows. Newton was on a show that TCA didn’t seem to be that high about. Likewise each of Freeman, Newton and Panjabi all gave supporting performances (which unless you’re named Rhea Seehorn or Peter Dinklage hardly get nominated here). Are we supposed to assume that Sarah Snook missed last year because of Aussie bias? Julia Garner because of a New Yorker bias?

Cumberbatch and Whishaw’s shows were ones that TCA wasn’t really high for. Kate Winslet missed out in a field of 5 at a time when they only nominated two “limited series” performances at TCA (Al Pacino’s in Angels of America and Helen Mirren’s in Prime Suspect : The Final Act). Frances McDormand missed for Emmy sweeper Olive Kitteridge. Are we supposed to assume she also missed because of British bias?

The only one here that really fits the definition of “inexcusable” is Riz Ahmed but even then he was snubbed for Claire Foy, who is British (and also got nominated over her American co-star John Lithgow). So his snub is hardly as a result of TCA having some unfounded bias against British actors lol.

It is very good explanation, I admit it, maybe I am overthinking it at this point like you said. But zero noms acting wise for both Sherlock and Downton Abbey, and also, just one nom for The Crown will always be strange for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Forgot about him lol. I need to watch John Adams at some point.

But still it proves my point that the fact those three were the only ones nominated for 15 years means they probably weren’t exactly high on limited series performances like they are/will be now.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Riz Ahmed missed at CC (the entire show did) so even that’s not entirely inexcusable either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Riz Ahmed missed at CC (the entire show did) so even that’s not entirely inexcusable either.

Which is odd considering how acclaimed the show was.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is why it won’t surprise me if Hawke missed here. Both him and The Good Lord Bird did miss CC after all.

Which is odd considering how acclaimed the show was.

At least he had the last laugh…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

At least he had the last laugh…

The streak of Courtney B. Vance, Riz Ahmed, Darren Criss and Jharrel Jerome winning is amazing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The streak of Courtney B. Vance, Riz Ahmed, Darren Criss and Jharrel Jerome winning is amazing.

The way this category really took a dramatic plunge last year lol. I don’t know who to root for in this year’s category at this point (maybe I’ll end up landing on Ethan Hawke once I see The Good Lord Bird).

Ahmed is my favourite winner in this category ever (and my favourite nominee in this year’s Best Actor lineup at the Oscars).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Huns, Ruffalo totally deserved his things, he was amazing.

That speech and connection were not it tho.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Huns, Ruffalo totally deserved his things, he was amazing.

Jackman and Mescal were robbed darling.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Ahmed is my favourite winner in this category ever (and my favourite nominee in this year’s Best Actor lineup at the Oscars).

Although the circumstances were obviously different, it’s encouraging to me as a Michaela fan that Ahmed was able to win after losing at all of the winter awards, for a show which aired a year prior.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR:
    The Crown
    I May Destroy You
    Mare of Easttown
    ***The Queen’s Gambit
    Ted Lasso
    WandaVision

ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA:
    The Boys
    ***The Crown
    For All Mankind
    Lovecraft Country
    The Mandalorian
    Pose

ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY:
    Dickinson
    Girls5eva
    Hacks
    PEN15
    Search Party
    ***Ted Lasso

ACHIEVEMENT IN LIMITED:
    Hamilton
    I May Destroy You
    Mare of Easttown
    ***The Queen’s Gambit
    The Underground Railroad
    WandaVision

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA:
    ***Gillian Anderson in The Crown
    Michaela Coel in I May Destroy You
    Emma Corrin in The Crown
    Mj Rodriguez in Pose
    Anya Taylor-Joy in The Queen’s Gambit
    Kate Winslet in Mare of Easttown

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY:
    Kaley Cuoco in The Flight Attendant
    Hannah Einbinder in Hacks
    Maya Erskine in PEN15
    Renée Elise Goldsberry in Girls5eva
    Jean Smart in Hacks
    ***Jason Sudeikis in Ted Lasso

NEW PROGRAM:
    The Flight Attendant
    Girls5eva
    Hacks
    Lovecraft Country
    ***Ted Lasso
    We Are Who We Are

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Gillian Anderson that’s an interesting prediction for the win. What makes you inclined to go with her if I may ask?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 431 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.