Home Forums Television The Get Down (Baz Luhrmann’s 1970s musical drama)

The Get Down (Baz Luhrmann’s 1970s musical drama)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Kyle Bailey
24Emmy
Riley Chow
  • Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone watching? I’m halfway through the episodes. I find it very entertaining but muddled.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

The first episode is exhausting and way too long, the second is much better.

who would have thought that whites were such a tiny minority in New York?

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Just finished with the six episodes. Is not perfect but is very good, I wonder what Baz Luhrmann would have done with Vinyl because The Get Down succeed where Vinyl failed and that is focusing in the music. Jimmy Smith is very good. All in all a good show that I’ll be waiting for the second part of the season.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Watched the first episode.

I thought that The Great Gatsby was a perfect movie, but this was a mess. At a slow runtime of an hour and a half, the tone was all over the place. The dialogue was variably comedic and laughably bad. Aesthetically, we got historical footage, faux historical footage, grainy original content and high-definition original content. Pacing was a big issue. Half an hour in, I could not tell what the hook was. The episode jumped between many locations, but then the big dance-off club set piece came and we spent a long time there. There were more recognizable faces here than I expected.

I am not sure why it has gotten a pass from critics when they have historically not been forgiving of Baz Luhrmann as they have been with Martin Scorsese, although maybe that is just film critics. Television critics do tend to go lighter.

I said on the last page that the budget for the season was $120 million. Turns out that that statement is incorrect, as the budget was $90 million and $120 million is just what they actually spent. At least you can see it on the screen. If the show gets traction with the year-end awards, I will catch up, but I will not be continuing with this show otherwise.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/the-get-down-canceled-netflix-baz-luhrmann-message-1201831750/

The Get Down is no more.

Not surprised – even for Netflix, it seemed too expensive to justify its existence.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.