Home Forums Television THE HANDMAID’S TALE SEASON 4 (Premieres 2021)

THE HANDMAID’S TALE SEASON 4 (Premieres 2021)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 230 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
Luca
methaddiction
Stranger_Amon..
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Press Releases of episodes 4.01, 4.02 and 4.03: https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/03/the-handmaids-tale-episode-401-403.html

POSSIBLE SPOLERS

That episode 2 got me quite excited for Serena. I think the ‘miracle’ is quite obviously her getting pregnant.

Also, Bruce Miller writing two of the first three episodes gives me a bit of hope for the season. He’s by far the best writer on the show. ‘Offred’, ‘Late’, ‘Night’, ‘Holly’ and ‘Mayday’ were all phenomenal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

That trailer was not very good at limiting spoilers for this new Serena arc was it lol?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Here for more Yahlin Chang personally. Liars & Last Ceremony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Promoted to executive producer, but downgraded to a single script with the shorter season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

When the S3 trailer dropped in 2019, there was little to no noise. This time around, for Season 4, I have noticed all the big publications posting stories about it. The trailer also already has 1.5M views on YouTube. That plus some early positive noise gives me a lot of hope.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I’m not trying to put down because I haven’t watched since the second episode of season 3, and who knows, maybe if this season is an improvement I’ll be inspired to catch up considering how dire this season is, but, this ad is really bizarre to me 

i just don’t totally understand when Margaret Atwood’s beloved yet harrowing novel about female oppression became an action franchise?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

I’m not trying to put down because I haven’t watched since the second episode of season 3, and who knows, maybe if this season is an improvement I’ll be inspired to catch up considering how dire this season is, but, this ad is really bizarre to me i just don’t totally understand when Margaret Atwood’s beloved yet harrowing novel about female oppression became an action franchise?

I think it went from a tale about oppression to a tale about resistance, flashy resistance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Maybe had you finished S3 and watched the S4 trailer, you’d know it hasn’t become an action franchise. Plus, Atwood is actually a consulting producer on the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Lol anyone who watched season three’s first 12 episodes would know it hasn’t become an action franchise. You need stuff to happen for that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

I think they’re trying to answer to some of the critics from last season because this season looks fucking PACKED.

But… it’s true that’s beginning to not feel very true to the sprit of the novel. I mean, we never ever learn Offred’s name in the book and now June’s the icon of the resistance ? I mean it’s still interesting that they took that path but I feel like the book’s intention was also to show the life of women during the very early stages of Gilead. Now Gilead looks like it’s  crumbling in the trailer.

(haven’t read The Testaments though)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

That’s why this is an adaptation. This book came out in the 80s, so it was a given that the writers were going to change it up a bit. We’re living in the era of #MeToo and Times Up, after all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Potential spoilers

The Handmaid’s Tale has not turned into an action franchise. It’s one novel that ends rather ambiguously. Tyler is basing their view without having seen the last 10 episodes of this show. Yes there’s a sequel that was published whilst this show was around two years into its run but as with any continuation of a novel or a book franchise, you’ll infrequently find one interpretation people unanimously agree upon.

What these writers have gone with is a nuanced and more modernist reading into Attwood’s work. There’s plenty an allegory to be found with current religious dictatorships in this series and contemporary views are much more nuanced towards religious totalitarianism than they were when Margaret Atwood wrote The Handmaid’s Tale. The show itself is not only about female oppression even if it’s thematically at the cruz of the show. It’s also a show that explores religious extremism, political corruption and the migrant crisis and is currently going on a trajectory towards focusing on resistance.

That specific piece of promotion may have been strange for other reasons but I think most who have seen the third season can decipher that false advertisement it was not.

It’s not like the ads for The Father:

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rlk
    Topics:

Since Rob is posting about it on social media, I guess that it is fair game that we have screeners for seven of the ten episodes and have the writers, directors and titles of all ten. Review and feature coverage is embargoed until further notice. I will say that Mike Barker has left the show.

Riley, are you able to say or ascertain if Wiley and Bledel will be supporting or guest based on review of the seven episodes you have?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

The bar is low for them to be supporting or at least possible in supporting. They only have to be in two of the first seven for supporting still to be possible for them.

Mrs. America last year and now this—how many shows use Max Richter’s main theme from The Leftovers as temporary music for rough cuts? Shame that something that is apparently so iconic and resonant got no Emmy love.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Mrs. America last year and now this—how many shows use Max Richter’s main theme from The Leftovers as temporary music for rough cuts? Shame that something that is apparently so iconic and resonant got no Emmy love.

This is out of topic but have you seen Lovecraft Country? If so what do you think of its quality?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 230 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.