Home Forums Television THE WALKING DEAD Season 6 – 09/11 – Will Andrew Lincoln finally break through?

THE WALKING DEAD Season 6 – 09/11 – Will Andrew Lincoln finally break through?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 195 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Sam Eckmann
Atypical
mikeboy898
  • Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

This can’t be an actual tv show. Time and time again its disappointment. Ugh. Like fucking really?! Negan is my homeboy but these boring ass seasons that are only worth the premiere and finale are not worth it. Like fuck you! Again they waste an entire fucking season wandering around just to hold of the actual finale of the season till next. Ugh. I’m done. Pure stupidity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Welcome, Negan and Lucille! Jeffery Dean Morgan was everything tonight, so kudos to him. Negan’s grand entrance was well worth the wait. Too bad the finale was this overstuffed and hacky. The cliffhanger was very cheap bullshit, which I should have known the show wasn’t above doing for how they dragged out Glenn’s “death” for weeks on end for no good reason. If all this episode ended up being was Savior pit stops and skippable Morgan/Carol scenes, this could have been an hour finale. The look on Rick’s face when it dawned on him that everything he thought he knew was wrong was priceless. It’s time his hubris was checked TBH. Can’t believe how tense this all was, and then having to wait until fall to know who’s offed. Livid about that! So glad Sepinwall went innnnn on this nonsense. But I know I’ll return for the season 7 premiere to at least solve the mystery. Too much invested at this stage not to do so.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    slh315
    Topics:

That was just terrible. Negan’s entrance is THE biggest moment in the comics, and THIS is how it plays out? Did they even try in the slightest..?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Denis
    Topics:

All the nonsense aside, Will Jeffrey Dean Morgan get that guest actor nomination?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

I don’t know I’ve ever been so angry after a season finale cliffhanger. You know the whole audience is waiting for this moment and you build it up with 70 minutes of nonsense, okay. At least the audience knows the huge payoff that’s coming once Negan arrives. Your writers and actors hype up how this is the most intense and heartbreaking episode (let alone the talk that it was the BEST episode) you’ve ever done. And then…that?

The reason this cliffhanger doesn’t work is because it does not answer any question that the audience didn’t already have. We knew someone was going to die. And by episode’s end, we still know someone has died. But to say that this episode will deliver that answer, and then NOT deliver that answer? It shows me that the writers know their fans will watch anything and come back next season, even if out of anger, because they need to know who died. Hell, at this point, I’m not even sure the writers are certain they know who died. TVLine wrote an article saying that because of clues in the script and comments on “Talking Dead” that it’s down to four characters, but you know that could all hyperbole nonsense and it could be someone totally irrelevant like Rosita.

This is a show that once thrived off unexpected twists, huge risks, and not being afraid to shake up the narrative. That hasn’t happened in a while for this show, and it’s leading me to face the ultimate reality, which is that this show really has nowhere to go until there is an end date in sight, at which point the narrative will turn back to something akin to the season one finale or what was supposed to be the story with Abraham and Eugene. Until then, it’s just running into one problem, then the next one, and losing some characters along the way. At least back in the early seasons, it was exciting and the writers weren’t afraid. Now, it’s all politics to make sure certain characters stay alive and to keep the audience just invested enough that they keep coming back. But hey, I guess that’s the television business anyway… 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Cliffhangers in general are a dated concept that’s outlived its usefulness as well as being distrustful of its audience. Fans will come back one way or another, even if it’s only to hate-watch for those “I’m never watching again!!!” folks (Bitch plz, you already invested six seasons lol). They count on that to throw any shit at you knowing you’ll gladly come back for more in the fall, b/c there’s death business to cover! This is especially odious b/c they’ve been teasing us with Negan’s arrival and major death forever now. Not fulfilling that promise betrays the fan base you’re supposedly serving (but we all know that Kirkman and co. only serve themselves here). Those bygone days of “Who Shot J.R?” need a fork stuck through them. I’ll take how masterfully “The Good Wife” handled Will’s death (show was running the following week dealing with the aftermath in Queen Julianna’s Emmy winner). Or even how Annalise’s “shooting” was the hook for the “winter finale,” resolving itself before the months-long break. Anyways, trust in your audience more, “TWD.” It’s long overdue.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

Cliffhangers in general are a dated concept that’s outlived its usefulness as well as being distrustful of its audience. Fans will come back one way or another, even if it’s only to hate-watch for those “I’m never watching again!!!” folks (Bitch plz, you already invested six seasons lol). They count on that to throw any shit at you knowing you’ll gladly come back for more in the fall, b/c there’s death business to cover! This is especially odious b/c they’ve been teasing us with Negan’s arrival and major death forever now. Not fulfilling that promise betrays the fan base you’re supposedly serving (but we all know that Kirkman and co. only serve themselves here). Those bygone days of “Who Shot J.R?” need a fork stuck through them. I’ll take how masterfully “The Good Wife” handled Will’s death (show was running the following week dealing with the aftermath in Queen Julianna’s Emmy winner). Or even how Annalise’s “shooting” was the hook for the “winter finale,” resolving itself before the months-long break. Anyways, trust in your audience more, “TWD.” It’s long overdue.

Agreed on all fronts. I wish I could say I’m never coming back, but I can’t do that to a show I’m already so deep in. This show has gone too cliffhanger-heavy in recent years, and it is really starting to show with fan backlash and a weak follow-through. I wonder what the longevity is for this show…it’s still a huge hit, but I wonder how long AMC will let it go on. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

The writers and AMC (whichever is responsible for that piece of bullshit finale) need to wise up and realize that cliffhangers dont fly anymore in this era of TV consuming. The Walking Dead is one of the only shows I even watch live anymore (GOT being the other) because the media frenzy over them is to such an extreme that I dont want spoilers. But otherwise I watch TV on my schedule. And I have no time for cliffhangers and other lazy plot devices. Save those for crappy soap operas. I dont know if Im giving up the show, but Im definitely giving up on watching it live. You dont have to deal with this crap when binging old seasons on Netflix. Atypical is right, devices like fakeouts and cliffhangers are a dated TV concept that has no place in shows anymore. Gasp: you actually have to have really great writing for the whole season and not rely on gimmicks! #angry #glennisdead #orAbe #orDaryl (or whoever gets reported as only being on set for one episode next season). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam Eckmann
    Topics:

Shall we spare ourselves six months of guessing (or however long it takes until the leak, shooting starts in a month after all)?

Negan gestures to his right, our left, saying cut out the kids eye and feed them to his Dad if anyone moves. So we know Rick and Carl are safe. Duh. 
    Those to the right or Rick (from negan’s view) would also be safe based on where he is standing. So that’s Eugene, Carl, Aaron, Sasha and Rick all safe.
    Negan also gestures and looks to his left when he says “you can scream, you can cry…” etc. One would assume he says this to the captives since it doenst make sense to say it to his fellow saviors. So at least one person has to be to Negan’s left of the victim. This would assumedly make Glenn safe as the last person in line.
    Then there’s the “taking it like a champ” line taken right out of the comics. I cant see Maggie taking anything like a champ since she was too weak to even get to the ground on her own. She’s safe. Rosita also does not seem to have the resolve in that moment to remain strong and defiant. Shes safe.
    That leaves Abraham, Daryl, and Michonne. (possibly Glenn if the gesture to Negans left wasnt addressed to one of the captives).
    Then on Talking Dead, Gimple says that he knows fans will be “Zaprudering” the final sequence to figure out who died, and said thats a hint. This refers to a man who took the JFK assassination footage, which allowed people to comb it over for details. His first name is Abraham.
    Abraham dies.
    Whatever Gimple.

Worst finale ever. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mikeboy898
    Topics:

I’ve been watching this show since it premiered in 2010…there’s no way I’m quitting now. That being said…

Damn you, Walking Dead writers/directors/producers! Are you TRYING to anger fans? Because I really feel like you are! You are going to LOSE VIEWERS. People will not watch your show anymore. You won’t have jobs. Is that what you really want? Make better television!

Not sure I’ve ever been more upset with an episode of television for a show I’ve liked as much TWD. That was thoroughly disappointing, horribly directed and written finale. SHAME ON YOU, TWD crew. I’m disgusted.

I really hope the crew hears this backlash and rights their wrongs next season. You can’t pull these dumb cliffhangers on us loyal fans, especially something you’ve been teasing out so long. Over a year ago, if not more. I probably wouldn’t be complaining as much if the rest of the finale was great…but it SO was not. I’m extremely disappointed.

Tirade done.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    melobruce
    Topics:

All told, it was a pretty poor showing for a finale and I am mostly in agreement with the above comments.

Be that as it may, (from CNN, Aril 11) the governor of Georgia would not sign their ‘Religious Freedom Restoration Act’ thus ensuring Disney, Marvel and AMC, and a bunch of other companies will not flee the state like they fled North Carolina.

Way to go, Governor Nathan Deal.

Whether TWD can redeem itself or not, it will still be filmed in Georgia.  And I avidly await the next installments fully expecting a return to form.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    tommy
    Topics:

What do you think the best submissions for Emmy consideration should be? I know that it’s highly unlikely for The Walking Dead to break into the main categories, but I like to wish.

My submissions would be:

Lead Actor – Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes (“No Way Out”)
    Supporting Actor – Lennie James as Morgan Jones (“Here’s Not Here”)
    Supporting Actress – Melissa McBride as Carol Peletier (“East”)
    Supporting Actress – Merrit Wever as Denise (“Twice as Far”)
    Guest Actor – Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan (“Last Day on Earth”)
    Guest Actor – John Carroll Lynch as Eastman (“Here’s Not Here”)
    Guest Actor – Benedict Samuel as Wolves Leader (“Start to Finish”)
    Guest Actress – Tovah Feldshuh as Deanna Monroe (“Start to Finish”) 

Directing – “First Time Again” by Greg Nicoreto
    Directing – “Start to Finish” by Michael E. Satrazemis

Writing – “First Time Again” by Scott M. Gimple and Matthew Negrete 

It’s such a shame that Merritt Wever appeared in too many episodes to be considered as a guest. Supporting Actor could also add Steven Yeun, Norman Reedus and Michael Cudlitz. Supporting Actress could also have Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira and Sonequa Martin-Green.

Who (if anyone) has the best chance? My fingers are crossed (as they have been for the past few seasons) for Melissa McBride to break in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mikeboy898
    Topics:

^ There will definitely be no Emmy nominations for TWD. The only deserving member of the main cast is Melissa McBride and it definitely isn’t for the episode you mention – it would be for “The Same Boat”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Article written on assignment:

Based on the success of The Walking Dead at past Emmy ceremonies, as well as past industry guild awards that share voters with the Emmys, here are seven Emmy categories to look for the sixth season of the AMC zombie drama in the nominations this summer:

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup: The Walking Dead has been nominated four out of five season here, missing two years ago. That this category is one of the few that is open to all programs further demonstrates the strength of The Walking Dead here, as it has been listed on the ballot opposite not only other dramas, but also comedies, miniseries, movies, variety, reality and nonfiction. Finally, although Emmy favorites tend to fall off the radar in later years, The Walking Dead shows no sign of slowing down here, as it has won an industry award for its prosthetic work every season—the Emmy for its first two, then the Makeup Artists & Hairstylists Guild Award for its next three. In fact, these have been the show’s only wins from industry guilds in the last three years.

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series, or Movie: The Walking Dead received its first nomination for this Emmy last year after the academy opened up voting on this category to the acting branch, which immediately made the nominees more populist and in line with the Screen Actors Guild Award nominees for Best Television Stunt Ensemble, for which The Walking Dead has been nominated the last four years. It is a shoo-in for a second Emmy nomination, especially since two of last year’s nominees—Boardwalk Empire and Sons of Anarchy—competed for their final seasons.

Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series: The Walking Dead has been nominated for this Emmy four of five times, missing in the middle. However, sound editors are cooling on the show, as it has been on a downward trajectory at the Golden Reel Awards voted on by the Motion Picture Sound Editors, which overlaps members with the Emmys. It received four nominations including one win in 2011, three nominations including one win in 2012, two nominations in both 2013 and 2014, no nominations in 2015 and one nomination in 2016. Still, that is better footing than that of fellow incumbent nominee Gotham, which was shut out this year by the MPSE after a nomination last year for its first season.

Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role: Like sound editing, The Walking Dead has only a missed a nomination here for its third season.

Outstanding Makeup for a Single-Camera Series: The Makeup Artists & Hairstylists Guild has nominated The Walking Dead for its non-prosthetic makeup the last two years. There is plenty of space for the show to break through this time around, as Game of Thrones and The Knick are the only Emmy nominees from the last two years that are still in contention.

Outstanding Sound Mixing for a One-Hour Series: The Cinema Audio Society has nominated The Walking Dead four times, including the last three years, which makes it quite the statistical anomaly, as the series has never been nominated for the equivalent Emmy, despite the voter overlap. The Walking Dead was actually the only one of last year’s CAS nominees not to be nominated for the Emmy; it was replaced by Downton Abbey, which characteristically does better at the Emmys than the guild awards, perhaps due to ineligibility. The CAS support shows that it is on the radar, so it may break in one of these years.

Outstanding Drama Series: This is only the third year that best comedy and drama will have seven nominees each, after last year when the nomination slots were increased and 2009 when there happened to be ties in both. The high number of slots—more than any other race—has meant that a nominee has gotten in each time without many other nominations to complement it. How I Met Your Mother (comedy, 2009), Orange is the New Black (drama, 2015) and Parks and Recreation (comedy, 2015) each had only three other nominations and two of each were in Creative Arts races. The nomination for Big Love as Best Drama Series in 2009 was staggeringly its sole nod that year. The Walking Dead is positioned well to be the surprise addition this year, as it is the highest-rated scripted show on television, plus it has come close to a Best Drama Series nomination before. Its pilot episode won the American Cinema Editors Eddie Award for best one-hour commercial series editing and was nominated for the Directors Guild Award for best drama directing. Although The Walking Dead has not seen such high-profile industry nominations since its first season, it has consistently made an annual showing in the Emmy nominations, even posting a series-best tally just last year of four for its fifth season.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.