Home Forums Television The X-Files Limited Series (January 2016)

The X-Files Limited Series (January 2016)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
nahborghi
Denis
Marcus Dixon
  • nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

NY Comic Con fans got to see the premiere tonight. Aaaaaahhhh!

Fan reception have been mixed from what I’ve seen. A lot of people loved it, but a lot were not so sure. I’ve heard terms like “On a scale from Fight the Future to I Want to Believe, they’re closer to the latter.” I’m a bit upset with some spoilers I’ve seen, to be honest.  

ReplyCopy URL
    MarcusJamesDixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I saw the premiere tonight and it was GREAT! You guys and gals will love it.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Tim Goodman of THR hated the premiere.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw the premiere tonight and it was GREAT! You guys and gals will love it.

That’s encouraging news! As a huge fan of the original series I’m IN for this one asap.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarcusJamesDixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Ignore all the negative reviews coming in.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Variety’s Brian Lowry didn’t like it either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

Ignore all the negative reviews coming in.

Hard to, when they’re all so consistent in dismissing the premiere as garbage.

I was really afraid this could’ve happen, hopefully the MoTW section of the season lives up to its name. 

ReplyCopy URL
    james alexander clim
    Participant
    Topics:

Why the hell are people surprised by the negative reviews? Did you guys suddenly forget how bad the last two seasons and the finale was? It’s the same creative team. I am so happy that we’re going to see Mulder & Scully again, but it is because they’re awesome together. 

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

The press received episodes 2 (Founder’s Mutation) and 3 (Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Man) today. The general comment is that the third episode, written by Darin Morgan, is a instant classic. Darin is the one writer from X-Files to win an Emmy for Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repouse (which happens to be one of my favorite episodes from the entire show), so I’m looking forward to it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Someonelikeme
    Participant
    Topics:

Darin is the one writer from X-Files to win an Emmy for Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repouse (which happens to be one of my favorite episodes from the entire show), so I’m looking forward to it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

Why the hell are people surprised by the negative reviews? Did you guys suddenly forget how bad the last two seasons and the finale was? It’s the same creative team. I am so happy that we’re going to see Mulder & Scully again, but it is because they’re awesome together. 

Because 14 years have gone by, and this was the “perfect chance” for the writers to redeem themselves. Yes, it’s mostly the same people who wrote the forgettable Season 8 and Season 9, but also the people who wrote the first 7, brilliant, years of the show. 

ReplyCopy URL
    MarcusJamesDixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It’s baaaaack! Thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

So… All those wacky paranoid right-wing conspiracy theorists were right after all? Apparently, the government really is coming for your guns!

Hmm. Not sure if bringing back the X-Files is worth this desecration. Or maybe Chris Carter is trying to tell us X-Files fans have all been right-wing paranoid conspiracy theorists all along. Personally, not a club that I want to belong to.

And yet… Color me intrigued. And shocked. By how Scully and especially Mulder have aged. Makes me afraid to look in the mirror.

Disclaimer: The X-Files is one of my favorite TV series of all time, and I have started re-watching all 9 seasons in new high-def video. New series apparently still has the knack to wrap a mystery in an enigma… 

ReplyCopy URL
    james alexander clim
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve enjoyed the premiere more out of nostalgia than anything else. Like when they brought the original opening sequence – it was so cool!
    Mulder & Scully still have great chemistry, even if they are basically repeating the conversation they’ve had at least 100 times before. But hey, Anderson & Duchovny are still great. And just like in the 2008 movie I begun smile the moment Skinner showed up. He’s still awesome too. 
    The plot, however, was kind of meh. I have mixed feelings regarding the change in the conspiracy arc. On the one hand, I never really got into the mythology of the original series (aside from “Two Fathers/One Son” &  “Colony/End Game” I can’t even remember the mythology episodes I’ve enjoyed). And it’s not really about “It makes no sense”. It’s just the standard X-Files plot of  “We found proof! (The proof gets burned by the government). We have an actual witness! (Witness gets kidnapped or killed)” stops being compelling at some point. So, I am ok with maybe reinventing and updating the conspiracy, making it a bit more current. But the execution was not all that good. It was always OK when Mulder tried to convince Scully of something. But inserting McHale with that cringe worthy monologue was, in my opinion, a mistake. Joel McHale is pretty good at playing unlikable people. I was really hoping he’d get killed off by the end of the episode, especially after that painful speech. I would rather it was just Mulder talking. 
    And I was kind of surprised by how well Mulder took the new revelation. Basically, he was mislead and chased the wrong conspiracy for almost all of his adult life. Should he be a bit more emotional and angry and sad? I know that there is only so much you can in 45 minutes. So, perhaps, a 90 minute episode would have been better. 

Anyway, what I am really looking forward to is the new monster of the week episodes. It would be great to have Scully examining some strange corpses, and have them chasing serial killers with strange abilities, and have Mulder come up with some crazy theories. So glad this is back!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

no please, not case of the week , jeeesus NOO.

I enjoyed this a lot, mainly the first 20 minutes, however I agree with jamesclim, the execution was a problem, also I am not into the whole conspiracy thing, because we know about the truth believe ir or not ;).

Anderson and Duchovny are still fantastic and so was Mahendru who should have had at least two nominations for “The Americans”, because she is that good.

Cannot wait for next episode, god whyyy netflix didn’t pick this up ? whyyy? 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.