Home Forums Television Final Metacritic 2018 Top 10 TV Shows of the Year ranking

Final Metacritic 2018 Top 10 TV Shows of the Year ranking

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Riley
vinny
  • Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

And KE had more third place votes than anybody, which can’t be discounted (55.5 votes vs. The Good Place’s 49.5)

ReplyCopy URL
    Cobalt Blue
    Participant
    Topics:

Almost half of these shows have a better Metacritic Score than Killing Eve.

Handmaid’s Tale isn’t even on the list and had a higher Metacritic than the #1 show.  Good reminder to not get too hung up on Metacritic scores I guess..

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

What I expect to do the best overall:
    1. The Americans
    2. Killing Eve
    3. Atlanta
    4. Sharp Objects
    5. The Good Place
    6. The Haunting of Hill House
    7. Barry
    8. The Handmaid’s Tale
    9. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    10. American Crime Story

The Americans, Killing Eve and Atlanta were indeed the top three, regardless of whether you looked at them how Metacritic aggregated them or how Uproxx would have. Sharp Objects fared significantly worse than Big Little Lies and was not even in the top ten in the hypothetical Uproxx ranking. The Good Place and Barry ended up being about where I expected. The reach of The Haunting of Hill House was unfortunately not quite as much as I had hoped. The Handmaid’s Tale ended up not being a factor at all and I also overestimated American Crime Story. My misses were Pose and Succession.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    DonnaLyaman
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if the producers of Handmaid’s Tale acknowledge the severity of the decline in acclaim and are taking steps to address them in the upcoming season.

The thing is, I don’t think they are capable of course-correcting even if they acknowledge the shortcomings. I don’t believe they are capable of stringing along a coherent long arc because they lack the vision to do so. It manifested in the first season when they introduced the Mexican delegation that went nowhere. The lack of ideas for the Colonies they introduced and promptly abandoned was alarming. They have failed every time they went had to write outside of the original source. The ones they succeed are hour long arcs.

They also have problematic views on some of the characters, especially the Serena character whom I believe they turned into a victim/quasi heroine to capitalize on the MeToo movement.  Under no circumstances would a season end with June naming her child borne off their rape in Fred’s honor and he and Serena and one and the same. No amount of good acting by the actress can save that travesty.

They managed the ride the S1 acclaim because they have good actresses and do write very good scenes. That can only take you so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cobalt Blue
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t believe they are capable stringing along a coherent long arc because they lack the vision to do so. 

I think it’s more that it’s a story/premise that wasn’t built to have a long arc in the first place.  It should have been a 2 or 3 seasoner, tops. Season 2 suffered because the writers didn’t want to get anywhere near the finish line, but, that’s just TV business.  Hulu got a show that tons of people were subbing to watch, decided it needed to run for a long time, and, really, that’s probably the correct approach.  Acclaim is secondary at this point.   Once it’s a famous show, continued acclaim is of course good but there are diminishing returns there.  And I have doubts whether there could be any 5+ season version of Handmaid’s Tale that would hold up quality-wise.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.