Home Forums Television Variety 2018

Variety 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Teridax
eastwest
Hunter-ish

Does anyone else find it weird that The Tonight Show is pushing so hard for writing and not directing? They only got into writing their first year, but have won DGA twice.

eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder about SNL this year. First and foremost, Lorne Michaels is a racist. Next, I still see it as one of the dominating series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Early in the season I thought that Kimmel would quite easily win because he had so much heat behind him, but it seems that it has faded away.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder about SNL this year. First and foremost, Lorne Michaels is a racist. Next, I still see it as one of the dominating series.

Why do you say that? How so? His show gave us talents like Kenan Thompson and- (having to look up black SNL talent) Garrett Morris, Eddie Murphy of course! Don’t forget Chris Rock.

I was also about to say Leslie Jones but I haven’t liked her in anything outside of Ghostbusters where I thought she was the best performance in that movie. At one point, Fred Armisen was playing Barack Obama. WTF?! I still don’t think Lorne is genuinely racist, he’s just a little… okay, really out of touch sometimes when it comes to progressive causes and ideas. The lack of Asian people in SNL history is stunning when you think about it. Jay Pharaoh was let go before his prime I feel, while Sasheer Zamata never came as close as Jay did to being allowed to realize her full comedic potential before being let go. I’m not helping my argument and belief that Lorne isn’t racist. Dammit. Obviously he’s not KKK “we’re gonna lynch you” kind of racist, though he does seem to be on occasion “sorority racist” as in “Sorry Angela, you’re not a kappa.” Yeah, ironically I just quoted former black SNL star Chris Rock’s 2nd Oscar hosting monologue. I like that quote, perfectly applies to subtle bigotries like Lorne Michaels sometimes can be appropriately accused of having. But hey, right now Chris Redd is doing amazing!

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone else find it weird that The Tonight Show is pushing so hard for writing and not directing? They only got into writing their first year, but have won DGA twice.

This shows overconfidence and I would argue an ego on the part of the Tonight Show writers and is bizarre. They won’t even win the Directing Emmy over SNL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Seems like Fallon’s campaign strategy is being sorry for the Trump episode. I’m disgusted. Hopefully, we’ll see Meyers nominated and I’m actually surprised he is ahead of Maher in the Gold Derby odds.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I want these to be among the nominees for Variety Talk Series:

The Opposition with Jordan Klepper
    The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
    Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
    Late Night with Seth Meyers
    The Jim Jeffries Show

Even though there will be 6 nominees in this category, if I was an Emmy voter able to check off unlimited options on my nominating ballot I would only choose those 5 shows above.

Either Cordon or Kimmel can get that last spot, this is such a small category with only so many genuinely amazing contenders. I’ve heard very good things about Good Mythical Morning but I’ve never watched it.

Seriously, imagine the controversy if @midnight with Chris Hardwick is nominated. Whether you believe Chloe and the people who came forward to back up her story or not (I do) it will objectively not be a good look for the Emmys in this #MeToo era we’re in.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder about SNL this year. First and foremost, Lorne Michaels is a racist. Next, I still see it as one of the dominating series.

Why do you say that? How so? His show gave us talents like Kenan Thompson and- (having to look up black SNL talent) Garrett Morris, Eddie Murphy of course! Don’t forget Chris Rock. I was also about to say Leslie Jones but I haven’t liked her in anything outside of Ghostbusters where I thought she was the best performance in that movie. At one point, Fred Armisen was playing Barack Obama. WTF?! I still don’t think Lorne is genuinely racist, he’s just a little… okay, really out of touch sometimes when it comes to progressive causes and ideas. The lack of Asian people in SNL history is stunning when you think about it. Jay Pharaoh was let go before his prime I feel, while Sasheer Zamata never came as close as Jay did to being allowed to realize her full comedic potential before being let go. I’m not helping my argument and belief that Lorne isn’t racist. Dammit. Obviously he’s not KKK “we’re gonna lynch you” kind of racist, though he does seem to be on occasion “sorority racist” as in “Sorry Angela, you’re not a kappa.” Yeah, ironically I just quoted former black SNL star Chris Rock’s 2nd Oscar hosting monologue. I like that quote, perfectly applies to subtle bigotries like Lorne Michaels sometimes can be appropriately accused of having. But hey, right now Chris Redd is doing amazing!

I’m being a tad hyperbolic, but there’s truth. Of all the people to personally submit along with Tina Fey, you don’t pick the most talked about female host of the season?! And it took him being social media shamed to hire two black women.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.