Home Forums Television Gold Derby TV Decade Awards 2010-2019 (Winners on 11/4)

Gold Derby TV Decade Awards 2010-2019 (Winners on 11/4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 510 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
forwardswill
thatnerdgreg
  • thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree, but Moss and Paulson also have the quality, and they have the quantity as well, and this case it is pretty obvious that they should have been above Cranston. Yes, he has the best performance on TV ever, but just one performance of that caliber. SEVERAL performances of Moss and Paulson would make the top 10, so quantity here counts. And obviously, everything done on TV counts, not in other mediums…

I get what your saying, and there’s no denying that Moss and Paulson beat Cranston when it comes to quantity, and they’re certainly not lacking in quality. But in my opinion, Cranston’s work on Breaking Bad is the most perfect performance I’ve ever seen on television, and therefore, he deserved to win. I’ve never seen anything quite like it, and I don’t think I ever will.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Spacey is one of my favs of the decade tbh. He’s hammy but he’s the fun type of hammy. But I agree that it’d be criminal when Wright was also exceptional.

Spacey can burn in hell.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I get what your saying, and there’s no denying that Moss and Paulson beat Cranston when it comes to quantity, and they’re certainly not lacking in quality. But in my opinion, Cranston’s work on Breaking Bad is the most perfect performance I’ve ever seen on television, and therefore, he deserved to win. I’ve never seen anything quite like it, and I don’t think I ever will.

I also see your point and, in general, I agree. My three votes were for Moss, Paulson and Cranston, so I contributed to his win and I am happy about it. I hate when people deny an obvious talent or an irrefutable fact, Breaking Bad is the Drama of the decade and his performance is one of the main reasons.

Ryan Murphy won for 5 different shows, so no, people do not vote for him, because he is RM, the awards that his shows won are completely deserved, he is a genius

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Spacey can burn in hell.

Spacey may be an exceptionally talented actor, but he’s a disgustingly evil human being. Fuck him.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Spacey may be an exceptionally talented actor, but he’s a disgustingly evil human being. Fuck him.

Unpopular opinion, but even this is questionable imo. He basically portrays himself in most of his roles, so there isn’t much range and thus his career is made up of making him being an awful person look entertaining.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

How anyone voted for Spacey is beyond me. His performances are mediocre at best and he raped a young boy. I’m good if I never see his name again.

ReplyCopy URL
    rodben2000
    Participant
    Topics:

How in the hell did Darren Criss beat Matthew McConaughey in this? Matthew McConaughey gave in my opinion one of the best performances in any TV show of all-time(on par with Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad). How did Martin freeman not even get nominated for Fargo when he gave the best performance of all the 3 seasons? Let me know what you think and if possible make your list about the top 10 best performances by an actor in a limited series this decade

ReplyCopy URL
    methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Courtney B. Vance was the best this decade with McConaughey right behind him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

How in the hell did Darren Criss beat Matthew McConaughey in this? Matthew McConaughey gave in my opinion one of the best performances in any TV show of all-time(on par with Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad). How did Martin freeman not even get nominated for Fargo when he gave the best performance of all the 3 seasons? Let me know what you think and if possible make your list about the top 10 best performances by an actor in a limited series this decade

I am one of the few here that have seen all the nominees, so I guess I can reply. I voted for Darren Criss, in my opinion, he gave the best performance by any actor/actress in a limited series this decade. He was mesmerizing, he managed to be creepy, scary, disgusting and detestable, but also sexy, charming, likeable and relatable. He was showy, but also subtle. I have seen Glee many times and I never saw Blain in Andrew, Criss showed a versatility for which McConaughey can only dream.

My second choice would have been Martin Freeman for Fargo, but he was snubbed. I think that this was due to the fact that the majority of people in GD do not watch Fargo (Kirsten Dunst being FIFTH is another proof of that). Freeman is the best actor between all the nominees, he can do anything, he is a international treasure, I voted for him in supporting for Sherlock.

Without Martin, my second choice was Evan Peters, he is as versatile as Criss, maybe even more, and he is incredibly overdue. He can also do anything and he has chemistry with everybody. I love how he plays sensitivity. He is almost a method actor and it shows.

My third choice was Jharrel Jerome, this might have been a little recent bias, but this boy blow my mind, he completely transformed in Korey Wise adopting his mannerisms, speech and gestures, he is also versatile, very different from Moonlight, which a favorite movie of mine.

I consider Matthew McConaughey very overrated in this role (I hate this word sense I do not think that anyone can be that entitle do decide who is overrated, but I cannot find a better word for him). He was very good, but Rust Cohle was a character made for him, he is very good at crying and very good at speeches, still, he was very far from Bryan Cranston level, or from Darren Criss level, for that matter. And I think that his lost here proves that many people are starting to agree with me. I think that he rightfully lost the Emmy to Cranston, the SAG to Spacey and the Globe to Thornton (he being NINTH here is another proof os how unpopular is Fargo in this forum). He only won the CC and the TCA, the latter only because Maslany, Margulies and Cranston were already a previous winners, leaving Matthew Rhys as the only one from that bunch without a TCA award, thanks God that the Emmys made up for that unjustice.

My ranking would be:

Winner: Darren Criss (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace”)
    Runner-Up: Martin Freeman (“Fargo”)
    3rd Place: Evan Peters (“AHS”)

4. Jharrel Jerome (“When They See Us”)
    5. Riz Ahmed (“The Night Of”) (Another incredible transformation, both physical and psychological)
    6. John Turturro (“The Night Of”) (Very charming, subtle and complex, he was stunning, I still think about his feet issues and about his cat)
    7. Benedict Cumberbatch (“Sherlock”) (An excellent performance, but sometimes he was a little saturating for me as Sherlock)
    8. Timothy Hutton (“American Crime”) (He gave us three very different characters, very solid work, especially in season 1 and 3, he had so many nuances, I am still sad about his disappointing work on Hill House)
    9. Patrick Wilson (“Fargo”) (Along with Evan Peters, he has the most underappreciated performance in this category, he had a thousand layers and made Lou Solverson one of the most compelling and beloved characters ever)
    10. Billy Bob Thornton (“Fargo”) (A definition of charm and presence, I have a little bias towards him, because he stole the spot from freeman with Lorne Malvo – the definition of the Winking Devil)

Why I did not include four of the GD options? And my ranking of them:

1. Matthew McConaughey (“True Detective”) (already explained)
    2. Courtney B. Vance (“The People v. O.J. Simpson”) (It is not a surprise that he was at the bottom with us, I found him more supporting than lead, I needed more layers and nuances from him, Johnnie Cochran willingly managed to get a murderer out of prison and I missed more exploration of that, I am aware that there were scenes that spoke about it, but I needed more than that)
    3. Jared Harris (“Chernobyl”) (I know that this is an unpopular opinion, but I just did not found this performance a challenge for him, I liked him much more in The Crown and in Mad Men)
    4. Michael Douglas (“Behind the Candelabra”) (I adore his performance, but he only had two hours, the rest had between 8 and 10, it is not comparable IMO)

Bonus: Ewan McGregor (“Fargo”) (His accent was not perfect and he could have been more distinctive with Emmit and Ray at some moments, however he was captivating enough and his huge charisma was on point)

ReplyCopy URL
    rodben2000
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>What a great answer. Despite not agreeing with you in some things(Matthew McConaughey performance being overrated) I agree with you in the majority of the things you said. Matthew McConaughey is one of my favorite actors but I agree that he doesn’t have that versatility(many times plays the same character) like Darren Criss or(talking about the same show) Mahershala Ali. These two give much more subtle and nuanced performances. And yes Rust Cohle is a perfect character for McConaughey( he loves more flashiest and overacting roles).</p>

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

What a great answer. Despite not agreeing with you in some things(Matthew McConaughey performance being overrated) I agree with you in the majority of the things you said. Matthew McConaughey is one of my favorite actors but I agree that he doesn’t have that versatility(many times plays the same character) like Darren Criss or(talking about the same show) Mahershala Ali. These two give much more subtle and nuanced performances. And yes Rust Cohle is a perfect character for McConaughey( he loves more flashiest and overacting roles

Yeah, exactly my point! Thank you for your kind words. I did not watched the third season of True Detective, this is why I did not mentioned Mahershala Ali, but he is a favorite of mine and I agree that he is very versatile as well, I heard great things about him, but I thought that the first season is just okay and I really disliked the second season, so I decided to not start the third one.

ReplyCopy URL
    rodben2000
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved 1st season of true detective, didn’t think that season 2 was that bad as people say and season 3 for me was a return to form(Despite being very far away from the excellence of the 1st season). I really enjoyed the 3rd season until the last episode(anticlimatic and kinda disappointing finale for me). Apart from that I recommend you to give it a go and watch 3rd season.

My ranking of the 3 seasons:

Season 1- 9.8

Season 2- 8

Season 3- 8.7

ReplyCopy URL
    rodben2000
    Participant
    Topics:

How was Hannibal not nominated for best drama series of the decade? And Madds Mikkelsen? The men gives in my opinion one of the 3 best performances in any TV show of the decade. Let me know what you think, and if possible make your list about the 5 best performances by an actor in a drama series in the last decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

It was a MISTAKE to close the nominations period before Watchmen aired.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

How was Hannibal not nominated for best drama series of the decade? And Madds Mikkelsen? The men gives in my opinion one of the 3 best performances in any TV show of the decade. Let me know what you think, and if possible make your list about the 5 best performances by an actor in a drama series in the last decade.

I find Hannibal very uneven and I wouldn’t nominate the show in Drama of the Decade. I do agree about Mads Mikkelsen, however not like top 3, but in top 10 for sure, since I find him more fitting as Supporting in most of the episodes, although he has been a legit Lead in some episodes. My top five would be:

1. Jon Hamm for Mad Men
    2. Matthew Rhys for The Americans
    3. Bryan Cranston for Breaking Bad
    4. Rami Malek for Mr. Robot
    5. Damian Lewis for Homeland (For me was more outrages that he was snubbed).

I also adore Billy Porter in Pose and Sterling K. Brown in This Is Us, if their shows had more season, maybe I would have reconsider putting one if them in my number 5, but the first 4 are LOCKS for all eternity.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 510 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.