Home Forums Television Gold Derby TV Awards 2020 (Winners Announced!)

Gold Derby TV Awards 2020 (Winners Announced!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 404 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

The Outlander twitter account tweeted about the nominations.. when Sam and Caitriona end up winning 💀

Meanwhile, Succession doesn’t even have a Twitter account. I hate this haha

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Jesus the Outlander bots are really gonna give both of them wins are they?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Jesus the Outlander bots are really gonna give both of them wins are they?

. Let’s pray we can prevent that

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I have the same two fyc things for u guys: Ben platt for actor comedy series and Schitt’s creek for comedy series 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Top Chef All Stars LA was probably its best season ever but I’m guessing Derbyites don’t watch the show…

Dear Gold Derby, please add Ibrahima Gueye to the prediction center 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Wait Octavia could happen for limited and almost for drama for two no1curr shows but not for Luce skfjkjdsf her stans make no sense.

The GD Film awards usually have more people voting than TV, majority of those who vote are trying to predict the Oscars and don’t really see anything else.

But if there was a time for full on stanning it was last year when she served up two of the greatest film performances of the decade in “Ma” & “Luce“.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

The Outlander twitter account tweeted about the nominations.. when Sam and Caitriona end up winning 💀

And they provided a link to vote as well…

We-

Ellis1

Can HBO please let a gay intern tweet using the Euphoria account and we get Zendaya & the series to win instead. I beg.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

I took the time to vote and many of these nominees were dreadful! SMH!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

FYC:

Lead Actor in a Drama Series:

Jeremy Strong – Succession

Lead Actress in a Drama Series:

Zendaya – Euphoria

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:

Tom Pelphrey – Ozark

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:

Meryl Streep – Big Little Lies

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

At least my Sex Education votes didn’t go to waste. The few hundred voters who found it in their hearts to show some class, thank you!

And judging from some of these incredibly white categories, I hope to God y’all ain’t gonna only give Regina King the win out of all black nominees and call it progressive?

Don’t make me vote all black and all Asian please.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

A lot of the Emmy nominees who missed here were black. And they were replaced by white nominees.

But people on here aren’t ready to look at their own biases just yet.

This has stuck with me, so I’ve done the maths on the Leading and Supporting acting nominees at the Gold Derby Awards compared to the Emmys.

Of the 33 acting nominees we chose that the Emmys snubbed, just 4 are non-white, which works out as 12%.

In comparison, of the 30 Emmy nominees we snubbed in the Gold Derby Award lead and supporting acting categories, 17 of these are non-white performers.

This works out as 57%.

Professional award bodies are always slated or praised for their diversity. It’s time we did the same for public voted awards too.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jake
    Topics:

I’m not racist but should we vote with race in our mind? If I prefer Comer over Oh, Blanchett over King, Banks over Esposito? Will I be considered to be racist if I think Halle Berry was the weakest actress the year she won the Oscar? Just curious.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I’m not racist but should we vote with race in our mind? If I prefer Comer over Oh, Blanchett over King, Banks over Esposito? Will I be considered to be racist if I think Halle Berry was the weakest actress the year she won the Oscar? Just curious.

You should just vote for who you think is best, regardless of race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jake
    Topics:

You should just vote for who you think is best, regardless of race.

Thank you. I thought I was going insane for a moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

It’s not about voting based on race. It’s about acknowledging our own biases.

The fact that the majority of Emmy acting nominees we as a collective did not nominate are non-white actors shows that we all need to look at what unconscious bias we have.

That includes what shows we watch.

If a show has a black lead, do we tend to give it a miss, or say ‘I’ll catch up later’?

When we have a choice of, say, four supporting actors from a show we like. How often do we go for a white actor instead of latinx, black or asian actor, despite all four actors being of equal merit for a nomination.

I also acknowledge that many, if not the overwhelming majority, of forum posters, are white males. Representation within the voter membership also factors into it, and can go some way to explain why 57% of Emmy nominees snubbed by us are non-white. But again, we cannot hide behind that.

Awards bodies have hidden behind ‘its not about race’ for years, when worthy people of colour are snubbed time and time again. They get called out on it. Awards bodies are encouraging their members to look at their biases. I’m merely asking we all do the same, given the stats presented above.

If people are defensive, look at it this way – swap our nominees with the Emmys, and vice versa. What praise would you give to us then? More importantly, what would you say about 56% of GD nominees snubbed by Emmys being non-white? Chances are you’d be thinking and typing ‘Emmys So White’, wouldn’t you? So why not have that conversation when it’s US who have made those decisions?

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 404 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.