Home Forums Television WGA 2019 nominations

WGA 2019 nominations

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
Diet Teridax
Djoko
  • Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m curious what that “December-November” rule means for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I don’t think either season was really in that window so is their WGA nomination today for the first or second season?

It’s for the first season. As a voter, we didn’t get the second season until after voting ended. I was really upset Game of Thrones wasn’t on the submitted list until I realized it wasn’t eligible because of the time-frame. The first season of Roseanne wasn’t submitted even though I would’ve voted for it. I had a hard time picking nominees so I left a lot of categories blank.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

“The Car” for This Is Us? Really? That episode is just one speech after the other.

YES to Homeland getting in for that amazing season finale!

Handmaid’s should not have been nominated for “First Blood,” there were better episodes in the second season!

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

These are kinda …bizzare.

That episode for The Affair was arguably its weakest of the season.

Pose, Succession and Homecoming rise a bit after the Globe love yesterday as well.

I mean I expected more love for Homecoming, but then again the episodes are structured the same and are equally as great, but no standout episode, except maybe the finale which should have gotten in. But alas.

When was the voting period for this btw? I remember Amazon was quick with screeners already sent on November 1. hm.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama Series

The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Succession

I have not seen Succession, but the other four are my favorite dramas, so I am very happy with this nominations.

I think that in Episodic Drama they wanted to spread the will and to to nominate the same dramas, The Handmaid´s Tale is the only one that is part of both categories and I cannot be happier. Very happy about the nomination of Homeland as well. People loved this episode of This is us, it is not surprising, I liked some parts of it.

I love Pose, I have to finish the seasons of The Haunting of Hill House and Homecoming, but in my opinion all of them are far better than Killing Eve, I know that many of you love it, but for me it was lacking, the writing was unbelievable at some point, especially the big death scene that affected Eve in the first half. And I cannot see any thing extraordinary in the performance of Sandra Oh, she is good, but her character behavior is not well developed or explained, also, to ignore the really incredible performance of Jodie Comer that has the better written part and the more demanding role in every single award is inexplicable, so I can see why the writers chose to ignore the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Just came here because I remembered that I had set out to look for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel before nominations and then I forgot about it. The WGA website says that they have shifted eligibility to the calendar year, but then how is The Crown eligible? I suppose that the WGA took pity on anything that aired in the month that was not eligible last year or this year, but they really should put that in their rules. What Djoko says is quite concerning though because it means that voters truly voted on the second season without having seen it.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Just came here because I remembered that I had set out to look for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel before nominations and then I forgot about it. The WGA website says that they have shifted eligibility to the calendar year, but then how is The Crown eligible? I suppose that the WGA took pity on anything that aired in the month that was not eligible last year or this year, but they really should put that in their rules. What Djoko says is quite concerning though because it means that voters truly voted on the second season without having seen it.

It was definitely for the first season because as you can see it wasn’t eligible last year: https://awards.wga.org/awards/nominees-winners/2018-2013.

I got scared for a second because I wanted to make sure I voted for the first season since I had not seen the second season yet. I’ll probably post what I’ll vote for closer to the awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Just because it was not nominated does not mean that it was not eligible. It came out after voting closed, on the second-last day of eligibility, so there was obviously not much awareness about it. Had its first season been eligible this year, do you really think that it would have missed Best New Series? We saw this happen a few years ago with the November release of the first season of Master of None. You and a great number of WGA members inadvertently just voted for a season that you had not seen.

Last year’s rules: “Awards in the Drama, Comedy and New Series categories are for series that were produced by a WGA signatory company and aired or were exhibited between December 1, 2016 and November 30, 2017 (regardless of how many episodes aired during this period). Projects eligible for the New Series award must have been broadcast or exhibited for the first time during the eligibility period.”

This year’s rules: “Awards in the Drama, Comedy and New Series categories are for series that were produced by a WGA signatory company and aired or were exhibited between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018 (regardless of how many episodes aired during this period). Projects eligible for the New Series award must have been broadcast or exhibited for the first time during the eligibility period.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Flávio
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey Riley, why the hell do you think START was not nominated?

"I'm Not Going to be IGNORED, Academy" FYC: Glenn Close - The Wife

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The episodic nominations are always super weird. They use a panel system. Only Best Drama Series, Best Comedy Series and Best New Series are decided by broad popular vote.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.