Home Forums Television What rule changes should and will occur as a result of the 2019 Emmys?

What rule changes should and will occur as a result of the 2019 Emmys?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
JGibson
sofan
  • Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

And your point is, “Hilton Foster”? How about replying in, y’know, actual WORDS. Either that or STFU

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

132 minutes for an entire season is just too forking short.

To quote the show you love so much 🙂
    null

Not really. What Fleabag did with 6 episodes was amazing. Most shows can’t get it together in 12 and she got everything perfect in 6 in season 2. (Not gonna say season 1 was as perfect as season 2) Nothing short of a miracle.

null

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by vinny.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by vinny.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

And your point is, “Hilton Foster”? How about replying in, y’know, actual WORDS. Either that or STFU

Why should he tho? You ignore everytime someone provides solid points why Fleabag worked out perfectly with few episodes and was better than dragging out forever.

Also since you love to grab how “forking short” this show is with its only 132 minutes then spend “only” 132 minutes watching it so you can criticize the program on its content (narrative, acting, pacing, message. whatever you choose) and then there’ll be an actual conversation on its merit cause the running time point is too shallow to discuss a work of art.

Chromatica and Fetch the Bolt Cutters AOTYs yeah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Variety performers shouldn’t compete in comedy acting categories, and performers in specials shouldn’t compete in limited series/TV Movie acting categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

I can live with the Variey Series categories on the show, but Variety Writing and Directing really kills it for me.

I’d prefer they’d bump Animated Program, Variety Special, Unstructed Reality etc to the Primetime than those craft ones cause it just repeat the winners from the Program category (for years!! We get it you like John Oliver).

Categories such as Animated Program features many shows with large audiences. Plus Variety Special usually includes nominees like Homecoming or the Super Bowl Halftime – you’d have plenty of stans tuning in.

But for real, get rid of Variety Writing and Directing if you’re just gonna pick a safe choice again and again. It’s too much of a bathroom break now.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by James Gibson.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by James Gibson.

Chromatica and Fetch the Bolt Cutters AOTYs yeah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

There needs to be a jury for guest acting and something needs to be done about the vote splitting. I don’t know what but something needs to be done. Quite a few nominees that deserved to win these last few years lost because of a vote split and that’s just unfair.

Vote splitting is a reality of the voting system they employ, so that issue cannot be eliminated without changing the actual system itself (which I doubt they’d do). But I think a jury for guest/short-form acting is more realistic.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tonbone
    Topics:

They need to bring back the best variety performance category. It was abysmal when Alex Baldwin just for doing one trump sketch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean C
    Topics:

Serious answer: A limit of the amount of people for one show nominated in a category. That was why we didn’t get a GOT Supporting Actress win.

That’s simply voter choice. Why would they change the rules to try to prevent voters from voting for who they want? Yes, vote-splitting results from this, but no show is entitled to win an Emmy if none of its nominees command a natural plurality.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    That Don Guy
    Topics:

Any program or movie that is shown in a non-broadcast public performance such as a movie theater before it airs on television is ineligible for an Emmy. AMPAS already has a similar rule (no TV pilots or episodes of TV series are eligible for Oscars); why not the Television Academy?

If you want to stop vote splitting, change all categories to “area voting,” where each voter can vote for as many of the nominees as they want, and whoever gets the most votes wins. (However, there’s no need to include the rule that any nominee that gets at least 90% “yes” gets an Emmy.)

Here’s a rules change I can see happening: get rid of the “no more than one winner in Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking” mandated by the rules – after having two winners in that category this year, why bother with it?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

With both Drama & Comedy Series winners having exactly the general minimum # of episodes, I wonder, will we get super buzzy shows in the future with 5 or fewer episodes that would thus be forced to be “limited” despite being in every other way a series, i.e. continuing characters/storylines? I know there are some shows that started before the rule change, which have been dubiously nominated in TV Movie, like Sherlock and Luther.

It’s good that you brought it up because I want to ask for a clarification. In order for a show to compete in drama or comedy series it has to have at least six episodes. However, if a show includes returning recurring/regular characters or storyline and runs over two episodes it can’t compete in limited series. The latter rule was formed to prevent revivals we’ve been seeing lately to compete in limited series (it came out the year The X-Files returned), though this also means that only freshman shows should have six episodes to be considered as either drama or comedy series. If you are a sophomore season or beyond and have less than six episodes more than two episodes, you have to compete in drama/comedy series. Netflix will have Dracula from Sherlock creators which is slated to have three episodes and future seasons, though for its first season it won’t be able to compete in drama. Then when it returns for another season, this time it will have to compete in drama because there will be more than two episodes. I find it highly weird.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

Raise the minimum episode limit and all of this goes away.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    espnfan
    Topics:

Any program or movie that is shown in a non-broadcast public performance such as a movie theater before it airs on television is ineligible for an Emmy. AMPAS already has a similar rule (no TV pilots or episodes of TV series are eligible for Oscars); why not the Television Academy?

If you want to stop vote splitting, change all categories to “area voting,” where each voter can vote for as many of the nominees as they want, and whoever gets the most votes wins. (However, there’s no need to include the rule that any nominee that gets at least 90% “yes” gets an Emmy.)

Here’s a rules change I can see happening: get rid of the “no more than one winner in Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking” mandated by the rules – after having two winners in that category this year, why bother with it?

Thank you for bringing this up. I was thinking the same thing when I saw Free Solo won multiple Emmy awards this year (I believe every Emmy they were nominated for actually). They achieved this despite winning the Oscar for Best Documentary Film. I believe the same thing happened when “O.J. Simpson: Made In America” won both Emmys and the Oscar.

Call me confused, but I do not understand how a program can win both an Oscar and multiple Emmy awards. Maybe someone can explain the rules to me concerning this issue, as I am not fully aware. Whatever the rules are, it seems like a crock to me that a project can so blatantly double dip like this.

I know it may be an old fashioned notion, but something that is made for the theaters should be considered a movie and potentially rewarded with an Oscar. And something that is made for television should be considered TV and properly reward through the Emmys.

I also agree about adjusting the guest acting rules concerning the number of episodes appeared in and amount of screen time required as well. Bringing back blue ribbon panels for some of the creative arts Emmys is not a bad idea either.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by espnfan.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by espnfan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Stop perpetrating episode submissions as a qualification to a nominee. Because, clearly, they don’t mean as much anymore….

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.