Home Forums Television Which show should win Outstanding Comedy Series? 2020

Which show should win Outstanding Comedy Series? 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Rachel
Atypical
Which show should win Outstanding Comedy Series? 2020
Schitts Creek
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
  • Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

It’s interesting with Maisel vs Schitt’s Creek because it could either end up being the case that Schitt’s is the THT to Maisel‘s GoT, we could end up with Maisel winning 8 Emmys again and Schitt’s winning as many as Fleabag won or Maisel could be the Atlanta to Schitts’ (ironically) Maisel in 2018.

I get that this board has this obsession with Schitt’s Creek which I’ll never fully understand (cute show, not Emmy-worthy imo), but if this academy gives it as many Emmys as Fleabag I’ll scream. Dan Levy is not on PWB’s level and them tying Fleabag’s wins would be completely unmerited. They would only end up tying because there is hardly any competition this year. Dan Levy has no business beating someone like Tony Shalhoub in SA. Levy has virtually no range as an actor, and let’s be honest, Shalhoub acts circles around him. Also, everyone in the prediction center is seriously underestimating WWDITS. They very well could upset for writing. “On the Run” was one of the buzziest episodes on TV during the voting period. But to each their own.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve switched to predicting Levy in S. Actor because I feel like he’s going to do a PWB sweep (even if Schitt’s doesn’t sweep). I hope I’m wrong though because no one (apart from maybe Andre Braugher although I haven’t seen Ramy so can’t judge Mahershala Ali) has any business beating the one and only Tony Shalhoub in that category.

I mean imagine if Monk and Abe met each other. That would be an interesting dramedy idea lol.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

The problem I have with Dan Levy winning SA is that it would be based on buzz, not on actual merit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Dan Levy deserves to win in a landslide. His performances in the final two episodes outstrip the competition so easily that it’s hardly even fair.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

Dan Levy deserves to win in a landslide. His performances in the final two episodes outstrip the competition so easily that it’s hardly even fair.

Is this sarcasm?

I kinda feel like, acting wise, Dan Levy is one of the weakest nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Dan Levy’s performance underrated. He totally shone in the last 2 seasons

Chromatica and Fetch the Bolt Cutters AOTYs yeah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

this board has this obsession with Schitt’s Creek which I’ll never fully understand (cute show, not emmy-worthy imo)

Agreed. Outside of O’Hara and Murphy, there’s really nothing that separates Schitt’s Creek from every other run-of-the-mill network comedy for me. Fun but largely unimaginative in both conception and execution.

People come for Eugene but I feel Dan’s shortcomings as an actor are more than often masked because people find his character more fun. He is the weakest among the core cast and he always struggles with the more emotional aspects of his character IMO. I really hope he doesn’t win but then again PWB just swept with a performance that was outacted by all the other nominees in her category so…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I would never claim for Schitt’s Creek to be groundbreaking or anything more than a fairly typical sitcom, but what it is is hysterical, and to me easily funnier than any of the other nominees I have seen (which all but Insecure and WWDITS, which from what I’ve heard would probably give it a run for its money). Basically it doesn’t do a whole lot, but it does what it does exceptionally well. Who knows how this victory will age, but because Schitt’s is optimistic, crowd-pleasing, and ultimately happy escapism, I think it’s easy to see why people are flocking to it this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I really hope he doesn’t win but then again PWB just swept with a performance that was outacted by all the other nominees in her category so…

Phoebe sweeping the lead actress race was a little much. She deserved an award here and there, but for her to sweep in that category was definitely an example of buzz over merit. Her buzz was much more than Levy’s though. And at least PWB can act.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I would say (whilst I love the show) that the only problem I have with Schitt’s Creek winning is that it feels like something that should have won in the days where 30 Rock and Modern Family were competing for this prize. Sure it is a great show but it feels very safe to me. It doesn’t fit the mould of recent winners like VeepFleabag and Maisel were they have in a sense put Comedy on par in quality with Drama through their writing of more detailed character arcs, the development of an actual plot instead of relying on the old one-liner joke gimmicks thrown around in single cam and multi cam comedies of the past. Sure Schitt’s Creek is incredibly funny and the development of the characters from season 1 to 6 are done quite well and the show is quite funny but for me it’s nothing in comparison to the structure and the writing of the three shows mentioned.

Then we come to the actors. They’re great actors, their characters make us laugh a lot but other than O’Hara and Murphy I don’t think the performances are as good as people often make them out to be on here sometimes. I mean this show will end up winning SAG ensemble but when there are shows like The Good Place and The Great and What We Do in the Shadows in contention there next year where the actors slip into their characters more than they do on Schitt’s Creek it just seems kind of overhyped to me. I mean obviously the non Murphy and O’Hara actors are acting on the show but I just don’t see them as being more deserving than the actors from MaiselInsecureThe GreatThe Good Place and What We Do in the Shadows (which I just finished watching).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Phoebe sweeping the lead actress race was a little much. She deserved an award here and there, but for her to sweep in that category was definitely an example of buzz over merit. Her buzz was much more than Levy’s though.

I’d rank the Lead Actress nominees like this that year :

1. Louis-Dreyfus
    2. Brosnahan
    3. O’Hara
    4. Lyonne
    5. PWB

I loved all 5 performances and PWB was great in Fleabag but I felt like she was less deserving than the other nominees (ok she may have been more deserving than Lyonne but I felt O’Hara, Brosnahan and Louis-Dreyfus gave better performances).

I think Levy is going to win the exact same awards as PWB (at the Emmys) but I agree with you that his buzz is nowhere near as strong as hers. She was practically everywhere before Fleabag season 2 even aired. In fact what people seem to underestimate on here is how anticipated season 2 was. Season 1 was a big hit but it went under the radar because of its early release date. I mean it’s the release of season that immediately propelled her into stardom from being cast in Star Wars to being chosen as the head writer of the critically acclaimed first season of Killing Eve (which I’d argue for its first season it should have been nominated for and won Drama Series and been dropped from the line up for season 3). Sure Levy writes, direct, produces and stars in Schitt’s Creek but it’s not like the show is some groundbreaking auteur show like Fleabag or that he has the same level of recognition and roles offered to him like PWB has had (until maybe like this year). I mean PWB was nominated at TCA whilst Levy (despite him being tipped for a nomination there) was snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

I applaud Schitt’s Creek for being consistent and doing great its (simple) concept for 6 seasons. Something The Good Place couldnt keep for more than 2 seasons before dragging the obvious conclusion to the plot.

However I’m still wondering why taking this cute show in such frontrunner status like it’s that groundbreaking. And I agree it feels pale in comparison to other comedies we’ve been witnessing like Maisel, Fleabag, Barry and Insecure. A win for this would be nice when Modern Family was having its boring repeated wins, but now it’s weird.

It’s fine fun comedy and I loved watching this. But if a sweep is coming it sure might not age well. But yes, you guys underrate the men in this show.

Chromatica and Fetch the Bolt Cutters AOTYs yeah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Will win: Schitt’s Creek.

HANDS DOWN.

I would agree with you the show would win “Hands Down” if you didn’t have the Emmy frontrunner for Drama Writing and Series in 8th place in Directing and in 5th for Writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Schitt’s Creek”

Daniel Levy fully deserves all the Emmys he’s going to win this month.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

Dan Levy is an excellent actor. He owned the show more than Annie Murphy. This type of character is so dangerous to any actor to play because there are soooo many opportunities to be over the top, but Dan nails it everytime.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.