Home Forums Television Which show should win Outstanding Comedy Series? 2020

Which show should win Outstanding Comedy Series? 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Rachel
Atypical
Which show should win Outstanding Comedy Series? 2020
Schitts Creek
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really don’t see this necessity to shower the show or Levy with awards and let’s not forget that he is going against a supporting actor who won SAG over a Emmy winning lead actor in Bill Hader. Even if Schitt’s Creek has all the love some people here think they do, it may not be enough.

Exactly! I think we’re underestimating the impact of Maisel near sweeping SAG again and winning over Fleabag. Sure it may not win Series but many in 2018 underestimated Claire Foy on here and chose Moss even though she won a second consecutive SAG award over her and The Handmaid’s Tale was shut out at SAG despite sweeping everywhere else. I think the fact a supporting performance on a show repeated and beat the incumbent Lead Actor Emmy winner to win (which is quite rare) and beat the two leads of a show that is positioned to win Comedy Series is quite significant.

I mean it could very well be the case that it only wins for O’Hara and Series like its performance at SAG has suggested to us. I mean I can understand why people think it can sweep (to an extent) but it’s not like Succession or Watchmen were they went from getting shut out to leading their categories with acting nominations and getting in people who had smaller airtime and more supporting roles in.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

hate shouty Shalhoub in this role and as a Jew I find it an obnioxious, tropey, appropriated characterisation and I have to mute every scene he’s in. The mother too. It’s bad enough hardly anyone involved with the show is Jewish with only the most tenuous links to the community (pork chops in the Rabbi’s butcher in season 1?). I like the show especially the comedy and class bits, but the Jewish stuff can be plain bad and in this day and age, why is it still okay for non-Jews to make, write and act Jewish characters and plots in this show?

Edit – Schitt’s is also about a Jewish family but, incredibly, made, written and directed by actual Jews.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Isn’t Amy Sherman-Palladino Jewish? Just genuinely asking.

I understand what you mean though and agree. I think it would be inappropriate for me to go further into the specifics of Maisel’s portrayal of the Jewish community considering I’m not Jewish so I’ll stop talking about Maisel in this post.

I really think this also applies to all shows that have characters from different groups in general. Both in terms of the portrayal of ethnicities and also transgender people. I think we often seem to neglect the fact that because a show is about a group that is considered to be a minority that often it can be quite damaging when they’re made by or star people who aren’t part of that group and if seen out of context can actually incite stereotypes and hatred. I mean how is it acceptable that Eddie Redmayne (a cisgender man) can get nominated for an Oscar for playing a transgender woman? How is it acceptable that television shows often decide to cast Iranian-Americans in the roles of South Asian-Americans and vice-versa (i.e. the actress who plays the Iranian-American presenter on The Morning Show is Indian-American).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Her mother was a Mississippi Baptist, so no (according to the religion) and Wikipedia says she has only tenuous links to being Jewish, enough that she feels she’s able to depict the community onscreen. People love to claim a tiny connection. The pork chops incident was SO bad and you can’t unsee it.

To be honest I am playing devil’s advocate a bit because I do think all actors can play all roles, it just seems the appropriation outrage comes for every community except Jews. Our food and our language and our comedy belongs to everyone it seems. Cool cool. Jews are not under-represented in Hollywood so acting parts come their way, I get it. My issue is with Shalhoub’s characterisation and the Jewish tropes in the show which are not cute but which he in particular beats to death. A different actor would have been so much more watchable. Hinkle too is insufferable and  playing a trope.

Jews in comedy are always portrayed as shrill, nervous, complaining, tight, obsessive and myopic. I just don’t find it funny anymore.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/amy-sherman-palladino-2000-year-old-man.html – Anne Frank jokes? Talk about anti-Dentite. This article is the worst take.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

It is Levy’s last year of eligibility but that didn’t stop Alex Borstein for example winning over Anna Chlumsky, Sian Clifford and Olivia Colman during their last year of eligibility last year.

You asked the question. That’s the answer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Dan Levy and Annie Murphy have improved a lot in their acting and I think that being in scenes with Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy have helped. I do think that season 6 is where Dan and Annie have delivered their best work. Of the two, I do think that Annie is more deserving of a win. I do think that Dan will win in Writing and not in Supporting, but Dan would make a good winner.

I like Alex and she delivers in Maisel, but Annie has managed to take a character that would have been unlikable in the hands of other actresses and bring a likability to this role. I am rooting for Annie to win.

Again on a side note, Betty Gilpin should have won an Emmy by now for GLOW.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.