Home Forums Television Who was Second in Drama Series in 2018

Who was Second in Drama Series in 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Kay
FYC : J. Smit..
Who was Second in Drama Series in 2018
The Americans
The Crown
The Handmaid's Tale
  • Profile picture
    FYC : J. Smith-Cameron
    Topics:

Now this is an interesting one.

It is evident that there was opposition to GoT with The Crown winning two major awards, The Americans beating GoT in writing and Lena Headey yet again losing at the Emmys. Plus the fact that Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington were snubbed after their category change.

So who was 2nd in 2018 in Drama Series? I’m voting The Americans (I accidentally pressed on The Crown) because it seemed to explode at the Emmys that year in nominations and wins and really could have done a Fleabag had GoT not been eligible and had Actress not been so competitive. However it could have easily been The Crown (after all it was one of the most unlikely directing winner out of all the nominees that year). Or could it have been The Handmaid’s Tale (which was predicted to win Drama Series that year?).

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I think it was probably

1. The Crown

2. The Americans

3. The Handmaid’s Tale

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Originally it looked like Handmaid’s Tale, but looking back and seeing The Crown taking Actress and Directing while Handmaid’s Tale went home empty handed at the main ceremony, so I’m pretty sure The Crown was next in line. In my opinion, it should’ve won that year, and I say that as someone who originally supported Game of Thrones’ victory.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

The Crown. It won Directing, Actress and Casting and got all (I think) of it’s campaigned cast nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

The Crown. It won Directing, Actress and Casting and got all (I think) of it’s campaigned cast nominated.

And deservedly so. Maybe had Dinklage not won Supporting Actor it would have won both Drama Series and Supporting Actor.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Hard to say between The Crown and The Americans but THT was most likely 4th.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

And deservedly so. Maybe had Dinklage not won Supporting Actor it would have won both Drama Series and Supporting Actor.

I think David Harbor was #2 that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

Probably The Crown. It had support amongst all bases, but I personally would have loved for the Americans to win a Series Award. Such a criminally underrated show that never won too many Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

The Americans had four nominations, including zero Creative Arts. The Crown won five Emmys out of thirteen nominations. The Americans was a passion pick for some, but completely off the radar for many branches.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

I think David Harbor was #2 that year.

Agreed, but I could imagine Smith being second. Both he and Harbour would’ve been more deserving than Dinklage.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Paul.wm
    Topics:

I’m watching The Americans right now and three episodes into season five, it got me thinking how close it was to winning in 2018 for its final season. I really don’t know who was in 2nd place as there are really good arguments three different series.

The Americans, Lead Acting and Writing win, acclaimed final season, narrative of going under the radar for so long to multiple nominations, heightened relevance with the Russia. However, unable to get directing, Noah Emmerich, Holly Taylor, or even Margo Martindale in. The two supporting actresses might of split votes, but considering Martindale won in season three for ordering dinner off a menu, she should of been able to get in here.

The Crown, Won lead actress and directing, got all actors they pushed for nominated plus writing, second season considered on par or better than the first.

The Handmaid’s Tale, fresh off sweeping for its first season, it exploded in nominations for the second, however it was unable to win anything other than guest actress, and the latter half of the season got divisive reviews.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 15 hours ago by paul.wm.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 13 hours ago by Riley Chow.

FYC EMMY DRAMA CATEGORIES: Succession; Series, Jeremy Strong, Brian Cox, Matthew MacFayden, Kieran Culkin, Sarah Snook, Cherry Jones, “This Is Not For Tears writing and directing
    Better Call Saul: Series, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Tony Dalton, Rhea Seehorn, “Bagman” in directing, “Bad Choice Road” writing.
    The Crown: Series, Olivia Colman, Tobias Menzies, Helena Bonham Carter, Jason Watkins, Jane Lapotaire, “Aberfan” directing, “Moondust” Writing. Star Trek Picard: Patrick Stewart

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Were the Kennedys submitted by Netflix?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Were the Kennedys submitted by Netflix?

Jodi Balfour (Jackie) was but not Michael C. Hall (JFK). And to be fair Michael had literally nothing to do, so submitting him wouldve been quite ridicolous and pointless.

FYC Emmys:

THE CROWN

Jane Lapotaire (Drama Guest Actress)
    Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Josh O'Connor (Drama Supporting Actor)
    Olivia Colman (Drama Actress)
    Tobias Menzies (Drama Actor)

KILLING EVE

Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress)
    Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Evgenia Dodina (Drama Guest Actress)
    Sean Delaney (Drama Guest Actor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

I went with the Americans, mainly because it’s subsequent sweep of the winter awards season shows it had a major peak in passion for it’s final season, but it’s hard to tell if that peak started at the Emmy’s or was started by the Emmy’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Except Netflix did submit Hall:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.