Home Forums Television Why did Archie Panjabi beat Christine Baranski in 2010?

Why did Archie Panjabi beat Christine Baranski in 2010?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
methaddiction
Emmyfan
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Personally Archie Panjabi was the MVP of the first season of The Good Wife with Christine Baranski close behind. However, looking back at the tapes submitted for the 2010 Emmys, Baranski IMO delivers a stronger more character focused performance than Panjabi does in hers (where she is more of a supporting character to the Florrick drama). Hence why I’m wondering, why did Archie Panjabi beat Christine Baranski under the old system? I find this even stranger considering that despite both still delivering consistently strong performances (I believe Panjabi was robbed of Emmy noms for season 4 and 6), Baranski ended up being the strongest part of the Good Wife in the main four acting categories even getting nominated when Margulies was snubbed for season 6 before getting snubbed for The Good Wife’s mediocre final season.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Breaking Brad
    Topics:

Funnily enough, I’ve just started The Good Wife. I’m about ten episodes into the first season, haven’t seen their tapes yet but so far in the show Margulies and Charles are the real standouts for me. Baranski hasn’t had much to do yet and Panjabi is solid but haven’t seen anything that makes me go wow yet

Still early into the show though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Noth, Baranski, Panjabi and Czuchry have stand out episodes later in the first season and in later seasons so I’d suggest you keep watching the show.

But yeah Margulies is exceptional throughout.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I never made it far into The Good Wife but I watched her tape and wondered why she won when she doesn’t really do anything in her episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

Isn’t this an episode where Kalinda testifies against Peter or something? I think she fucked him over during that episode and it was just one of those “you go Kalinda!” moments when the show was still fresh and she was sort of the breakout “star” of the show and a “cool” character. I think it just made people root for her and obviously Panjabi too.

I can understand the confusion, it wasn’t an easy category to win. Man, that was so so long ago that Sharon Gless was a nominee for Burn Notice!

I remember everybody loving her win but we were also kinda shocked that it actually happened. Just like Merrit Wever a few years later.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Panjabi’a win was shocking, but she had a courtroom scene where she testifies on the stand. This was under the old tape system. Apparently, that kind of performance impressed enough voters for her to win and overcome a vote split. Kalinda was “The Good Wife”‘s secret weapon, so I’m glad that she won an Emmy for this perfomance. It’s equally sad that Baranski never could when she was stellar throughout the show’s run. She might have had a chance with a popular vote in the show’s last season had she been nominated. At leas Queen Julianna won two very deserved Emmys. Chris Noth and Matt Czuchry should have been nodded at least once. Josh Charles should have won for season 5. For the guests, Carrie Preston won once, yay! Mamie Gummer would have been deserving for a nod. Dylan Baker should have won once. As much as Michael J. Fox would shake things up on the series, I don’t know if/when I would have chosen him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Isn’t this an episode where Kalinda testifies against Peter or something? I think she fucked him over during that episode and it was just one of those “you go Kalinda!” moments when the show was still fresh and she was sort of the breakout “star” of the show and a “cool” character. I think it just made people root for her and obviously Panjabi too. I can understand the confusion, it wasn’t an easy category to win. Man, that was so so long ago that Sharon Gless was a nominee for Burn Notice! I remember everybody loving her win but we were also kinda shocked that it actually happened. Just like Merrit Wever a few years later.

To be honest I would have given Archie the Emmy for season 2. Her tape was just outstanding. I’d do it like this :

2010 – Christina Hendricks
    2011 – Archie Panjabi
    2012 – Maggie Smith
    2013 – Anna Gunn
    2014 – Christine Baranski
    2015 – Lena Headey
    2016 – Maura Tierney
    2017 – Millie Bobby Brown/Thandie Newton
    2018 – Vanessa Kirby
    2019 – Julia Garner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I doubt anyone had a better tape than Anna Gunn in 2014.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

All for the Archie win, I also would have been for a Baranski win. I love this show and the performances. Less true of the latter seasons but it still has a special place in my tv landscape. I thought Juliana was extraordinary. And to hear of the animosity behind the scenes between her and JM was unfortunate.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I doubt anyone had a better tape than Anna Gunn in 2014.

You just said you haven’t seen The Good Wife past season 1 so I don’t see how you can fairly make that judgement?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

That’s why I said doubt but Ozymandias made Cranston and Gunn a lock because of what they had to do in that episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I feel like there was a similar question in why Aaron Paul beat Giancarlo Esposito around that time and people had trouble accepting that the younger performance was simply considered better.

If you got to interview every single academy voter that voted Panjabi above Baranski I am confident you wouldn’t be satisfied with any of their answers.

That’s why I said doubt but Ozymandias made Cranston and Gunn a lock because of what they had to do in that episode.

Ozymandias is a historical episode of television. TGW really only had the one remotely memorable episode and they had to kill off a main character to do it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Ozymandias is a historical episode of television. TGW really only had the one remotely memorable episode and they had to kill off a main character to do it.

The good wife most memorable episode is 5.05 and no one died in it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Maybe to fanatics. As far as cultural relevance, it was the one where whats his name got shot but that wasn’t the point anyhow. It was never a show that was crazy prevalent in the TV zeitgeist, at least not to the extent of Breaking Bad, which was my point. Which isn’t to say it wasn’t a popular show. Just not popular enough to make the point they were trying to make.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.