August 6, 2013 at 11:30 am #293468
Reba McEntire received a Golden Globe nomination for her role as Reba Nell Hart for the show Reba in 2004. I wonder why they nominated her and they usually go for shows that were on ABC, CBS, NBC and HBO.August 6, 2013 at 11:40 am #293470
They also nominated Sarah Michelle Gellar, Lauren Graham, Keri Russell and Christine Lahti for their work on WB shows. Reba’s nod was not some breakthrough.August 6, 2013 at 11:41 am #293471
WB shows actually did reasonably well at the Globes. “Felicity” was even nominated for Drama Series once.August 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm #293472
She was deserving. Odd question.August 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm #293473
She was a big star, doing solid work in a hit show (at least by its network’s standards). Also, the category had six nominees that year.August 6, 2013 at 3:47 pm #293474
She was VERY deserving of a nomination. She deserved nods from the Emmy’s as well. Reba was a show that I feel never got the awards attention it deserved, and I could never quite understand why that was. She did great on that show, and its not like the show itself was a bad show. While the show wasn’t perfect, it was funny, and quite entertaining. Reba AND Melissa Peterman deserved nods from the Globes and Emmy’s.August 6, 2013 at 4:14 pm #293475
I am not a fan of her music at all, but did watch a couple of episodes of REBA…she was not half bad. Not sure about deserving any awards mention, but still not half bad.August 6, 2013 at 4:21 pm #293476
She was never deserving of Emmy nods, but she had good timing and passable charisma.August 6, 2013 at 4:43 pm #293477
I think Reba did some great work on that show. This show is seen as weak by some people because of the writing, but some people do manage to rise way above the writing or directing on their shows, Fran Drescher being a great example of this in the first few years of the The Nanny. And Jon Cryer being a perfect example since he actually won twice. I would say Reba is a much better show than 2.5 Men, just not nearly as successful.
Reba did great work some 80% of the time, the other 20% was more gimmicky and over the top and way too “Reba’s accent” for my taste. But I loved that show and she was worthy of that Globe nod. And Melissa Peterman, please, she deserved to actually win awards.
Remember that the Globes throw nominations to pretty much everybody if they’re some sort of hit and/or stars. Others that haven’t been mentioned: Bette Midler got a nomination for her show, Christina Applegate for Jesse, Kirstey Alley for Veronica’s Closet (the Emmys went for her too) and these are the people that went for Jason Priestly twice, Charlie Sheen won for Spin City, Heather Locklear twice for Spin City and four times for Melrose and four consecutive years (I think) for Ed O’Neil and Katey Sagal for Married with Children. So this is an odd question and I think you needed to go look at some other nominees to see it wasn’t weird at all.August 6, 2013 at 7:12 pm #293478
Reba was a fine show.
"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."August 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm #293479
Bitchery aside, my first thought was literally “Why did Reba only get a Golden Globe nomination for Reba?” As fun as the random nominations were from 2002-2008 – Bonnie Hunt/Life With Bonnie, Stockard Channing/Out of Practice, most especially Lisa Kudrow/The Comeback, and Christina Applegate/Samantha Who? – I feel like McIntire should have been thrown at least one bone somewhere. She and Courteney Cox deserved to be apart of that lineup as much as anyone.August 6, 2013 at 8:22 pm #293480
I would have had to throw both Lauren Graham and Courtney Cox a bone before thinking about Reba.August 6, 2013 at 9:08 pm #293482
I’m not saying that Reba deserved to win the Emmy, but I think she deserved at least one Emmy nomination. And, I think she could have won for the episode where her daughter decided to move out to go live with her ex-husband and new wife. I believe the episode is from season 2. She was fantastic in that episode.
Melissa Peterman, on the other hand, deserved to WIN the Golden Globe. She was great on Reba.August 7, 2013 at 11:33 am #293483
Reba had a lot of buzz for her work on the show. It was the first time a comedy on the WB was successful and having Reba attached to it gave it some credibility. I don’t think her nod was odd at all, not compared to say the guy from Magic City getting a nod last year or Kelsey Grammar for BOSS.
The Globes always throw nods to odd people, but Reba had a heavily buzzed series that was popular with viewers and was the #1 comedy on her network.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.