Home Forums Television Will there even BE a 2020-2021 TV season?

Will there even BE a 2020-2021 TV season?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Reis
wolfali
Riley Chow
Will there even BE a 2020-2021 TV season?
Yes
No
  • Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

It’s getting to that point, I think, with the virus that has ravaged the entertainment industry. And it’s a question that needs to be addressed at some point.

Profile picture
    Brodie michael
    Topics:

The lockdown is already slowly being lifted across the country.

I think that by July, when tv shows premiering in fall normally start production, TV sets should be able to operate. Crews might have to be stripped back though. Non essentials like craft Services and some assistants and juniors might have to be forgone for awhile.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Turd Ferguson
    Topics:

Yes, but it will only consist of Fargo, The Undoing, and Genius

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    m844
    Topics:

I think “The Crown” Season 4 has already been filmed, so it might sweep all the awards next year since Season 3 is such a strong contender anyways.

The Hollywood Reporter has some articles about how filming, including in the Lazio region of Italy, where Rome is, is restarting with increased restrictions such as temperature checking, testing for COVID-19, social distancing, and usage of face masks. Plus, there’s a long way to go until May 31, 2021 when the next Emmy eligibility period ends, which they could extend or change as well. If there’s a vaccine early next year, it will obviously make the return to normal easier.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

I am an optimist. I think that there will be. It may seem naive of me to think that, but I think that we will start to get things back to semi-normal in the summer. It’s better to think of the positive and not dwell on the negative.

May the best of your todays be the worst of your tomorrows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Would not be surprised to see a lot of network shows get midseason premieres with shortened seasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Fargo and Genius are on an indefinite hold with everything else that did not wrap production.

HBO actually has Lovecraft Country, Perry Mason, The Third Day, The Undoing and We Are Who We Are all ready to go. They seem to be out of comedies, but HBO MAX has the next season of Search Party.

Showtime has The Good Lord Bird. All Access has A Higher Loyalty, The Stand and The Twilight Zone season 2.

Apple has new seasons of Amazing Stories and Dickinson. Hulu has PEN15 season 2A.

Netflix has Ratched, plus new seasons of The Crown, The Politician and Virgin River, as well as tons of new shows that are not on our radar and will feel like they came out of nowhere.

What else will come out even if there is zero production next season?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

I’m curious where we were in terms of pilot season and how many marginal shows might get renewed as a result.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

This Variety article shows suggestions from Warner TV presidents as to what to change when (or if) they return to the production of their TV series.

“Love scenes might need to be eliminated, because actors won’t want to be in close contact. The same was said of fight scenes that would require stunt doubles to violate the rules of social distancing.”

“Rovner did say “we need to look at limiting the amount of guest actors.” But with crowd scenes, she said, “We believe it’s going to be very hard to have big scenes with many extras, both because of social distancing and because of local rules of how many people can congregate at one time.” She suggested writers work around crowd scenes, or, alternatively, use visual effects to create or add to them.

As far as shooting goes, Paul said that outdoor locations might be limited, and getting permits will likely be more difficult. He suggested creating stories that use more of a show’s permanent sets or “swing sets” (sets built for a specific episode). He said that crew size will be determined by “social distancing requirements,” but didn’t get into specifics. ”

Source: https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/television-production-warner-bros-coronavirus-1234595453/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Fargo and Genius are on an indefinite hold with everything else that did not wrap production.

HBO actually has Lovecraft Country, Perry Mason, The Third Day, The Undoing and We Are Who We Are all ready to go. They seem to be out of comedies, but HBO MAX has the next season of Search Party.

Showtime has The Good Lord Bird. All Access has A Higher Loyalty, The Stand and The Twilight Zone season 2.

Apple has new seasons of Amazing Stories and Dickinson. Hulu has PEN15 season 2A.

Netflix has Ratched, plus new seasons of The Crown, The Politician and Virgin River, as well as tons of new shows that are not on our radar and will feel like they came out of nowhere.

What else will come out even if there is zero production next season?

Amazon have The Boys and Hanna. The new Marvels shows and The Mandalorian on Disney+. HBO have “I May Destroy You”, new Michaela Cole serie, but I think it is a drama.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Worse comes to worse networks will acquire British and Canadian shows. I mean it’s not unheard of. After all Pop shows Schitt’ s Creek and NBC has shown British shows in the past such as the BBC’s Merlin.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

Amazon have The Boys and Hanna. The new Marvels shows and The Mandalorian on Disney+. HBO have “I May Destroy You”, new Michaela Cole serie, but I think it is a drama.

Season 5 of The Expanse wrapped up shooting in Toronto before COVID turned into a true plague, so maybe December 2020 or 1Q 2021 for that Amazon show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Fargo and Genius are on an indefinite hold with everything else that did not wrap production. HBO actually has Lovecraft Country, Perry Mason, The Third Day, The Undoing and We Are Who We Are all ready to go. They seem to be out of comedies, but HBO MAX has the next season of Search Party. Showtime has The Good Lord Bird. All Access has A Higher Loyalty, The Stand and The Twilight Zone season 2. Apple has new seasons of Amazing Stories and Dickinson. Hulu has PEN15 season 2A. Netflix has Ratched, plus new seasons of The Crown, The Politician and Virgin River, as well as tons of new shows that are not on our radar and will feel like they came out of nowhere. What else will come out even if there is zero production next season?

Netflix will also have The Haunting of Bly Manor and Amazon has The Underground Railroad from Barry Jenkins. Showtime might have Your Honor starring Bryan Cranston ready.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Season 5 of The Expanse wrapped up shooting in Toronto before COVID turned into a true plague, so maybe December 2020 or 1Q 2021 for that Amazon show.

Hopefully (with a presumably emptier field) this can start to break through at major awards. The material for the fifth season will be the best yet.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Netflix’s head Ted Sarandos recently said their 2020 lineup hasn’t been affected by the virus.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.