( +3 hidden )
December 5, 2019 at 11:19 am #1203218686
Welp, guess I am gonna have to watch Pen15 and Watchmen now.
Really happy with most of the nominations, could’ve done without the Veep mentions but whatever.
Surprised When They See Us is not nominated anywhere.December 5, 2019 at 11:25 am #1203218699
Succession and Veep should win both the Series and Episodic awards.December 5, 2019 at 11:32 am #1203218712
Veep and Watchmen, the tase. When They See Us snubbed, the lack of taste.
“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.
Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.December 5, 2019 at 11:36 am #1203218724
I’m glad to see Mindhunter and Orange is the New Black recognized.December 5, 2019 at 12:18 pm #1203218805
I don’t think anyone was expecting it but I just realized Morning Show didn’t show up at all.December 5, 2019 at 1:09 pm #1203218893This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.December 5, 2019 at 2:52 pm #1203219066
The Game of Thrones writing for season 8 was probably one of the worst scripts written for television in recent history. I’m happy it didn’t get nominated. It would be an insult to all the fanfiction writers that actually wrote a better ending.December 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm #1203219110
Overall some great mentions here, especially for some of the more under-discussed shows like Mindhunter, What We Do in the Shadows, and, especially, an absolutely fantastic episode of Mr. Robot. Really happy to see Watchmen well represented as well. All four of these shows deserve writing mentions at the Emmys.
Succession, of course, goes without saying. I expect this to be a perennial in the writing category for the foreseeable future.
The episodic choices are often somewhat wonky but still surprised that they went with the moon landing episode of the Crown. I thought it was pretty universally acknowledged that Aberfan and Tywysog Cymru were the standouts.
Would have loved to see Undone show up in the animated field instead of three Simpsons episodes.
In terms of big Emmy contenders, nothing for BLL or Stranger Things. Apple+ only shows up for a TV movie (presumably) that no one has heard of.
Also happy to see the resurgent third season of True Detective recognized.December 5, 2019 at 4:31 pm #1203219225
In terms of big Emmy contenders, nothing for BLL or Stranger Things. Apple+ only shows up for a TV movie (presumably) that no one has heard of. Also happy to see the resurgent third season of True Detective recognized.
Stranger Things isn’t that shockingly but that BLL snub is pretty huge! Just makes me appreciate the choices they made more. Cheers WGA!December 5, 2019 at 5:57 pm #1203219291
Whew, a surprise nomination for “Ray Donovan”! That episode just aired two weeks ago. Always nice to see “This Is Us” recognized, and “Our Little Island Girl” is one of their best episodes from last season. Shocking and sad to see “When They See Us” snubbed for what was actually nominated. I’m assuming it was eligible. That errant Emmy nomination for “PEN15” seems to be no fluke. Yay “Mindhunter”! “Tern Haven” is an excellent choice for “Succession.” And for sentimental purposes, I’m glad to see one last recognition for the landmark “Orange Is the New Black” for its series finale!December 5, 2019 at 6:27 pm #1203219309
Boy, was this a cluster-f. Broadcast TV takes it up the butt and is hanging by a thread. Really, folks, Penis? No When They See Us? FOUR dramas in the comedy categories (Barry, Russian Doll, Dead to Me, OITNB). Good Place had three legit individual contenders (Tinker Tailor Demon Spy, The Funeral to End all Funerals and The Answer), but this guild reverted to old, bad habits in snubbing it once again.December 5, 2019 at 10:14 pm #1203219612
These revealed far more than I would have expected.
– PEN15 is the real deal. Getting a random Emmy nomination in a field of seven that snubbed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is one thing, but getting nominated with this more populist group over Dead to Me, The Good Place and Silicon Valley demonstrates that support runs deep. I will now be predicting it to repeat its Emmy nomination.
– The Good Place is in big trouble. Despite the bad buzz lately, I had been predicting it to repeat its Golden Globe nominations because this is the final season, but I will be changing that now. The writers and the Globe voters both tend to be on the ball about drops in quality.
– I had no idea where Mindhunter was during its first season’s nonexistent awards run, but I ultimately just had to accept it as a product of peak TV–some shows that check all of the boxes are going to miss just because there is too much content out there. Being nominated over Big Little Lies, Game of Thrones, Pose, Stranger Things and This is Us is huge. The same goes for Watchmen, which just got two nominations that the more acclaimed The Leftovers never did.
– Weird that writerly Brexit is snubbed, while its writer is up for The Crown, but the categories decided by panels are always screwy. See also the When They See Us snub. They snubbed David Milch for Deadwood, but nominated him for True Detective.
– Documentary Now! missing bodes poorly for Saturday Night Live going under.
– Does this confirm that Disney+ is submitting their movies for Emmys and television Globes?
– Look at that What We Do in the Shadows staff: Jemaine Clement of course, Succession‘s Jesse Armstong, Jojo Rabbit‘s Taika Waititi, Atlanta‘s Stefani Robinson and showrunner extraordinaire Paul Simms. No wonder that it has been getting random nominations!
– The El Camino teaser should have been nominated, but who knows if it was even submitted? All of the nominees in its category are from CBS.
– They submitted The Dark Crystal in children’s? What happened to last year’s winner A Series of Unfortunate Events?December 5, 2019 at 11:12 pm #1203219647
Is mindhunter a procedural like x files And just a little serialized? Or is it completely serialized like breaking bad ?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.