Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2020

Writing and Directing 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 239 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
boss
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Considering we have a thread for the Guest categories I thought why not create one for the Writing and Directing categories (which I think are the most interesting races this year).

Feel free to post your predictions below! What do we think is getting in and what do we think is getting snubbed?

Directing in a Comedy Series

1. Amy Sherman-Palladino, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (“It’s Comedy or Cabbage”)
    2. Daniel Palladino, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (“Marvelous Radio”)
    3. Dan Attias, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (“It’s the Sixties, Man!”)
    4. Jeff Schaffer, Curb Your Enthusiasm (“Happy New Year”)
    5. Michael Schur, The Good Place (“Whenever You’re Ready”)
    6. Paul King, Space Force (“The Launch”)
    7. Daniel Levy, Schitt’s Creek (“Smoke Signals”)
    8. Andrew Cividino & Daniel Levy, Schitt’s Creek (“Happy Ending”)
    9. Ramy Youseff, Ramy (“Atlantic City”)
    10. Brad Falchuk, The Politician (“Vienna”)

Directing in a Drama Series

1. Mark Mylod, Succession (“This is Not For Tears”)
    2. Benjamin Caron, The Crown (“Aberfan”)
    3. Alik Sakharov, Ozark (“Fire Pink”)
    4. Jason Bateman, The Outsider (“Fish in a Barrel”)
    5. Lesli Linka Glatter, Homeland (“Prisoners of War”)
    6. Jessica Hobbs, The Crown (“Cri de Coeur”)
    7. Mike Barker, The Handmaid’s Tale (“Mayday”)
    8. The Duffer Brothers, Stranger Things (“Chapter 8 : The Battle of Starcourt”)
    9. Andrea Arnold, Big Little Lies (“Tell Tale-Hearts”)
    10. David Fincher, Mindhunter (“Episode 2”)

Directing in a Limited Series/Movie

1. Nicole Kassell, Watchmen (“A God Walks into Abar”)
    2. Stephen Williams, Watchmen (“This Extraordinary Being”)
    3. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, Mrs. America (“Phyllis”)
    4. Amma Asante, Mrs. America (“Shirley”)
    5. Maria Scharder, Unorthodox (Episode 1-4)
    6. Stephen Frears, Quiz (Episodes 1-3)
    7. Lenny Abrahamson, Normal People (“Episode 3”)
    8. Andrij Parekh, Watchmen (“If You Don’t Like My Story, Write Your Own”)
    9. Lynn Shelton, Little Fires Everywhere (“Find a Way”)
    10. Damien Chazelle, The Eddy (“Elliot”)

Writing in a Comedy Series

1. Michael Schur, The Good Place (“Whenever You’re Ready”)
    2. Megan Amram, The Good Place (“Patty”)
    3. Laurie Nunn, Sex Education (“Episode 1”)
    4. Daniel Levy, Schitt’s Creek (“Happy Ending”)
    5. Liz Feldman & Kelly Hutchinson, Dead to Me (“It’s Not You, It’s Me”)
    6. Amy Sherman-Palladino, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (“It’s Comedy or Cabbage”)
    7. Daniel Palladino, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (“Marvelous Radio”)
    8. Ramy Youssef & Amir Sulaiman, Ramy (“Bay’ah”)
    9. Tony McNamara, The Great (“The Great”)
    10. Steve Carell & Greg Daniels, Space Force (“The Launch”)

11th Place : Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk & Ian Brennan, The Politician (“Pilot”)

Writing in a Drama Series

1. Jesse Armstrong, Succession (“This is Not For Tears”)
    2. Peter Morgan, The Crown (“Aberfan”) (I know it’s Armstrong’s to lose but I do think we could be underestimating Morgan)
    3. Joshua Donen, Phillip Howze & Courtenay Miles, Mindhunter (“Episode 3”)
    4. Gordon Smith, Better Call Saul (“Bagman”)
    5. Bruce Miller, The Handmaid’s Tale (“Mayday”)
    6. Richard Price, The Outsider (“Fish in a Barrel”)
    7. Alex Gansa & Howard Gordon, Homeland (“Prisoners of War”)
    8. The Duffer Brothers, Stranger Things (“Chapter Eight : The Battle of Starcourt”)
    9. David E.Kelley, Big Little Lies (“Tell Tale-Hearts”)
    10. Chris Mundy, Ozark (“All In”)
    11. Sam Esmail, Mr. Robot (“407 Proxy Authentication Required”)

12th Place : Suzanne Heathcote, Killing Eve (“Slowly Slowly Catchy Monkey”)

Writing in a Limited Series/Movie

1. Damon Lindelof, Watchmen (“It’s Summer and We’re Running Out of Ice”)
    2. Jeff Jensen and Damon Lindelof, Watchmen (“A God Walks Into Abar”)
    3. Dahvi Waller, Mrs. America (“Phyllis”)
    4. Susannah Grant and Michael Chabon & Ayelet Waldman, Unbelievable (“Episode 1”)
    5. James Graham, Quiz (“Episodes 1-3”)
    6. Alice Birch, Normal People (“Episode 10”)
    7. Anna Winger, Unorthodox (“Part 1”)
    8. Mike Makowsky, Bad Education
    9. Liz Tigelaar, Little Fires Everywhere (“The Spark”)
    10. Russell T. Davies, Years and Years (“Episode 6”)

11th Place : Tom McCarthy and Gabriel Sherman, The Loudest Voice (“1995”)

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I don’t watch it personally but I find it hard to believe that Silicon Valley isn’t at least in the top 10 for directing.

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Killing Eve in all categories, HBC, Cicely Tyson, The Crown in directing

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing and directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

FYC OSCARS- Amy Adams

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t watch it personally but I find it hard to believe that Silicon Valley isn’t at least in the top 10 for directing.

In my opinion the show is on the same trajectory as Veep at the Emmys. Veep ended partly due to some societal changes that caused more awareness around what they were satirising (i.e. political satire stops being funny when a satirical joke becomes president). The same thing can be said of Silicon Valley, which after only receiving three Emmy nominations in total last time round we know is already on its way out at the Emmys.

Its situation in terms of directing is the same as Better Call Saul in writing though. It has always been a filler in the category and never has had enough passion to win. I think its getting dropped (although I have it in 11th).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think people are (unsurprisingly) underestimating Lisa Cholodenko for Unbelievable. She won this category in 2015 and Unbelievable is somewhere in the top 3 for limited series. Yes, she missed DGA, but all her competition  (WTSU, Chernobyl and F/V) isn’t eligible at the Emmys, which should help her.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think people are (unsurprisingly) underestimating Lisa Cholodenko for Unbelievable. She won this category in 2015 and Unbelievable is somewhere in the top 3 for limited series. Yes, she missed DGA, but all her competition (WTSU, Chernobyl and F/V) isn’t eligible at the Emmys, which should help her.

I have her in 10th/11th. Had Unorthodox, Normal People and Lynn Shelton not happened I would have agreed with you but not now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

I think people are (unsurprisingly) underestimating Lisa Cholodenko for Unbelievable. She won this category in 2015 and Unbelievable is somewhere in the top 3 for limited series. Yes, she missed DGA, but all her competition (WTSU, Chernobyl and F/V) isn’t eligible at the Emmys, which should help her.

I think she is easily getting in. IMO, she deserves to win the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Call me crazy, but Silicon Valley can easily get two directing nominations. Besides Maisel, the category is very open. Curb has a director who hasn’t been nominated before, Schur also was never nominated for directing and Schitt’s Creek, personally, would be an uninspired choice (but it would show support).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Writing in a Limited Series:
    1. Mrs America “Phyllis”
    2. Watchmen “It’s Summer and We’re Running out of Ice”
    3. Unbelievable “Episode 1”
    4. Watchmen “A God Walks Into a Bar”
    5. Quiz “Episodes 1-3”
    6. Years and Years “Episode 1”
    7. Normal People
    8. I Know This Much is True
    9. Belgravia
    10. Unorthodox

Directing in a Limited Series:
    1. Watchmen “A God Walks Into a Bar”
    2. Mrs America “Phyllis”
    3. Watchmen “This Extraordinary Being”
    4. Unbelievable “Episode 1”
    5. Quiz “Episodes 1-3”
    6. Normal People
    7. I Know This Much is True
    8. Little Fires Everywhere
    9. Unorthodox
    10. The Plot Against America

Writing in a Comedy Series:
    1. The Good Place “Whenever You’re Ready”
    2. Schitts Creek “Happy Ending”
    3. The Good Place “Patty”
    4. Sex Education “Episode 1”
    5. Dead to Me “It’s Not You, It’s Me”
    6. Ramy “”
    7. Space Force “”
    8. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “It’s Comedy or Cabbage “
    9. What We Do in the Shadows
    10. Run “Run”

Directing in a Comedy Series:
    1. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “It’s Comedy or Cabbage
    2. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “Marvelous Radio”
    3. The Good Place “Whenever You’re Ready”
    4. Schitts Creek “Happy Ending”
    5. Silicon Valley
    6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “It’s The Sixties Man”
    7. Will and Grace
    8. Dead to Me
    9. Space Force
    10. Curb Your Enthusiasm

Writing in a Drama Series:
    1. The Crown “Aberfan”
    2. Succession
    3. Better Call Saul
    4. The Handmaids Tale
    5. Big Little Lies
    6. Killing Eve
    7. Mindhunter
    8. Better Call Saul
    9. Ozark
    10. Stranger Things

Directing in a Drama Series:
    1. The Crown “Aberfan”
    2. Succession
    3. Ozark “Fire Pink”
    4. Homeland
    5. The Outsider
    6. The Crown “Cri de Coeur”
    7. Stranger Things
    8. The Handmaids Tale
    9. Westworld
    10. Better Call Saul

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Killing Eve in all categories, HBC, Cicely Tyson, The Crown in directing

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing and directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

FYC OSCARS- Amy Adams

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Silicon Valley is one nom away from tieing as the biggest loser in both writing and directing. True filler. With the early release date, horrible guild performance, and no sign of any passion or buzz, I don’t see it getting nominated. People, including the industry, are over it and even competition like this year’s is not enough then to get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Writing in a Limited Series: 1. Mrs America “Phyllis” 2. Watchmen “It’s Summer and We’re Running out of Ice” 3. Unbelievable “Episode 1” 4. Watchmen “A God Walks Into a Bar” 5. Quiz “Episodes 1-3” 6. Years and Years “Episode 1” 7. Normal People 8. I Know This Much is True 9. Belgravia 10. Unorthodox Directing in a Limited Series: 1. Watchmen “A God Walks Into a Bar” 2. Mrs America “Phyllis” 3. Watchmen “This Extraordinary Being” 4. Unbelievable “Episode 1” 5. Quiz “Episodes 1-3” 6. Normal People 7. I Know This Much is True 8. Little Fires Everywhere 9. Unorthodox 10. The Plot Against America Writing in a Comedy Series: 1. The Good Place “Whenever You’re Ready” 2. Schitts Creek “Happy Ending” 3. The Good Place “Patty” 4. Sex Education “Episode 1” 5. Dead to Me “It’s Not You, It’s Me” 6. Ramy “” 7. Space Force “” 8. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “It’s Comedy or Cabbage “ 9. What We Do in the Shadows 10. Run “Run” Directing in a Comedy Series: 1. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “It’s Comedy or Cabbage 2. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “Marvelous Radio” 3. The Good Place “Whenever You’re Ready” 4. Schitts Creek “Happy Ending” 5. Silicon Valley 6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel “It’s The Sixties Man” 7. Will and Grace 8. Dead to Me 9. Space Force 10. Curb Your Enthusiasm Writing in a Drama Series: 1. The Crown “Aberfan” 2. Succession 3. Better Call Saul 4. The Handmaids Tale 5. Big Little Lies 6. Killing Eve 7. Mindhunter 8. Better Call Saul 9. Ozark 10. Stranger Things Directing in a Drama Series: 1. The Crown “Aberfan” 2. Succession 3. Ozark “Fire Pink” 4. Homeland 5. The Outsider 6. The Crown “Cri de Coeur” 7. Stranger Things 8. The Handmaids Tale 9. Westworld 10. Better Call Saul

Belgravia is not ahead of Unorthodox in writing, I Know This Much is True is not ahead of Little Fires Everywhere in Directing and The Plot Against America is not ahead of The Eddy in Directing.

Big Little Lies is not ahead of Mindhunter in writing as much as I want it to be.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Silicon Valley is one nom away from tieing as the biggest loser in both writing and directing. True filler. With the early release date, horrible guild performance, and no sign of any passion or buzz, I don’t see it getting nominated. People, including the industry, are over it and even competition like this year’s is not enough then to get in.

I get that the show doesn’t have visibility, but what are the alternatives?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stranger Among Us
    Topics:

You’re not predicting Better Call Saul for writing?

I think Succession might also get “Tern Haven” nominated as well. It’s their WGA winning episode.

In a fair, fair world Stephen Williams would walk away with the Emmy for directing “This Extraordinary Being”. It’s the best directed episode of all the top contenders this year imo, no competition. Also I doubt Nicole Kassell goes with “A God Walks into Abar” over the DGA winning first episode. “Abar” was always the writing showcase of Watchmen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You’re not predicting Better Call Saul for writing? 

Woops forgot Better Call Saul.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I am not predicting Silicon Valley, but I do want to acknowledge that because of how the ballot is laid out, how many slots there are or for whatever reason, the Emmys are better at consistently acknowledging people like Mike Judge. Louie might be the best example. It only hit WGA three times and DGA twice in the middle, but the writers’ branch nominated it all five seasons and the directors nominated it every year after the first. Neither the WGA nor DGA acknowledged the last season, but it still got both writing and directing at the Emmys, like the last season of Silicon Valley actually. What other random examples over long terms do I have? Boardwalk Empire only got DGA its first of five seasons, but Tim Van Patten never missed at the Emmys. Lost got nominated at ACE for its middle five years out of seven eligible there, but hit at the Emmys every time to get seven nominations.

I think people are (unsurprisingly) underestimating Lisa Cholodenko for Unbelievable. She won this category in 2015 and Unbelievable is somewhere in the top 3 for limited series. Yes, she missed DGA, but all her competition  (WTSU, Chernobyl and F/V) isn’t eligible at the Emmys, which should help her.

It is because Unbelievable remains Sharp Objects, trajectory-wise. Both were directed by recent Emmy winners in the category, but whether they barely got a DGA nomination or not, they were not close to winning, so they were not strong enough to hold on several months later for the Emmys. Only Watchmen and Mrs. America are ahead of it in series, but unlike When They See Us and Chernobyl, each is coming for multiple directing nominations. Just transferring over the series lineup, Unbelievable starts in the lower half of this category and once you factor in the quirks and biases unique to the directors’ branch, I see it being pushed out. I do wonder though if Vince Gilligan’s surge in the drama directing race will cost him his nomination here. I feel like when people get nominated twice, they are usually win-competitive for one of them, which is not the case here. I have him in a better starting position than Lisa Cholodenko because he actually got DGA.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 239 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.