Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2020

Writing and Directing 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 239 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
boss
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

So, just finished Mythic Quest and the Quarantine episode is brillant.
    I researched and in the last couple of weeks some vehicles like Variety, IndieWire, WSJ, Hollywood Reporter, Uproxx, iMore and Vulture made articles/interviews about this single episode. Also, this episode was mentioned in a few slugfests. Do you think it might surprise in Directing/Writing or am I crazy?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

So, just finished Mythic Quest and the Quarantine episode is brillant. I researched and in the last couple of weeks some vehicles like Variety, IndieWire, WSJ, Hollywood Reporter, Uproxx, iMore and Vulture made articles/interviews about this single episode. Also, this episode was mentioned in a few slugfests. Do you think it might surprise in Directing/Writing or am I crazy?

I’m thinking about it in Writing, it feels like even people who haven’t seen the show might just be checking out this episode

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Breaking Brad
    Topics:

So, just finished Mythic Quest and the Quarantine episode is brillant. I researched and in the last couple of weeks some vehicles like Variety, IndieWire, WSJ, Hollywood Reporter, Uproxx, iMore and Vulture made articles/interviews about this single episode. Also, this episode was mentioned in a few slugfests. Do you think it might surprise in Directing/Writing or am I crazy?

God I hope so, I’ve been trying to avoid stanning this show too much since not many people are vocal about it on this site but man I really hope Mythic Quest picks up a nom or two. The show has a rocky first few episodes but when it finds its feet, it’s wonderful and this is definitely one of the standouts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

It seems impossible to predict the exact episodes that are going to be nominated, but we can discuss which shows will have nominations in both directing and writing:

Supposed locks in both writing and directing:

1. Schitts Creek
    2. Watchmen
    3. Mrs. America
    4. Succession
    5. The Crown
    6. Better Call Saul
    7. The Handmaid´s Tale (less lock then the other 6 shows)

Most probable in only directing:

1. Silicon Valley
    2. Homeland
    3. Euphoria
    4. Ozark
    5. Little Fires Everywhere
    6. Stranger Things
    7. The Outsider
    8. Will and Grace
    9. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (although I think that is almost a lock in writing as well)
    10. Modern Family
    11. The Mandalorian
    12. The Eddy

Most probable in only Writing:
    1. The Good Place
    2. Sex Education
    3. Dead to Me
    4. Ramy
    5. The End of the F***ing World
    6. Quiz
    7. Mindhunter
    8. The Good Fight
    9. Pose
    10. Insecure
    11. Better Things
    12. What We Do in the Shadows
    13. Black Mirror
    14. The Plot Against America

Not sure where is more probable:

1. Unbelievable
    2. Normal People
    3. Unorthodox
    4. Defending Jacob
    5. The Morning Show
    6. The Great
    7. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    8. Dave
    9. Killing Eve
    10. This is us
    11. Mrs. Robot
    12. I Know This Much Is True

ZERO chance in both:
    1. Big Little Lies
    2. Westworld
    3. The Kominsky Method
    4. Run
    5. Space Force
    6. Black-ish
    7. The Loudest Voice
    8. American Horror Story
    9. Hollywood

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I really don’t think Schitt’s is the lock for directing many think it is. I’m currently including it just because of lack of strong contenders and the expanded list, but I would not be shocked at all if it missed. It’s grown in popularity, but it’s far from the phenomenon Fleabag was, and honestly the directing is so bland and boring that I don’t see the usually fairly snobbish directors branch picking it up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I don’t think the directors branch is snobby (comparatively to the writers anyway). What they actually are is clout chasers and Dan Levy is on the ballot. I agree the Schitts directing is fairly lackluster, but I’m not gonna predict a top two series contender with the showrunner/star on the ballot to miss.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

It’s grown in popularity, but it’s far from the phenomenon Fleabag was

I think Schitt’s Creek is more popular than Fleabag.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Schitt’s Creek is more popular than Fleabag.

I mean people say Schitt’s Creek is more popular and has broken through into the mainstream cultural zeitgeist but there is no way it’s more popular than Fleabag (which was the biggest comedy in the world last year). I mean in some aspects (i.e. IMDB) even Maisel is more popular than Schitt’s (although I do think overall Schitt’s has been growing in popularity).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Fleabag (which was the biggest comedy in the world last year)

In where I live people still don’t know Fleabag so I can assure you Fleabag is not a global hit. Btw, popularity doesn’t add any value to a show so you don’t have to defend Fleabag. We all know it’s a terrific show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

ZERO chance in both: 1. Big Little Lies 2. Westworld 3. The Kominsky Method 4. Run 5. Space Force 6. Black-ish 7. The Loudest Voice 8. American Horror Story 9. Hollywood

Westworld does not have a “zero chance” in Directing though

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Is Fleabag that popular tho? I’ve never even met a person who have heard of it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is Fleabag that popular tho? I’ve never even met a person who have heard of it.

And apart from on this forum I’ve never met a person who has heard of Schitt’s.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Fleabag/Schitts Creek are both popular in the UK.

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Fleabag/Schitts Creek are both popular in the UK.

Is Schitt’s really that popular in the UK? It’s not like it’s a big cultural hit that everyone’s talking about (I mean I know people who are addicted to Netflix and still don’t know the show exists).

But yeah Fleabag is a mega hit here obviously and I naturally assumed the same could be said about the show in the States as I don’t know a single American who hasn’t heard of it or PWB.

That being said I think Dan Levy is having a mini version of the ascension PWB had last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

And apart from on this forum I’ve never met a person who has heard of Schitt’s.

Me neither. Here in the Netherlands I still met some persons who knew about Fleabag but Schitt’s Creek…crickets.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 239 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.