Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2020

Writing and Directing 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 226 through 239 (of 239 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
boss
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I’m thinking “What We Do in The Shadows” wins Comedy Writing. Specifically the ON THE RUN episode, one of the best episodes from that series. Written by WGA award winner and Emmy nominee for FX’s “Atlanta”, Stefani Robinson. Drama Directing I have no idea. I doubt they’ll finally give it to Lesli Linka Glatter. If enough people make noice about the fact that it’s been years since a woman has won the Emmy for Drama Directing, and that Glatter is highly overdue, maybe it would compell them to give it to her. Don’t discount “The Crown’s” Aberfan. That one screams DIRECTING. Edit: Lord, I forgot Reed Morano won a few years ago. My sincere apologies girlfriend. That historic. 😔

I think WWDITS will vote-split, but I do think it’s ridiculous that “On the Run” is last in the odds. Stefani Robinson is one of the most respected writers on TV right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

(Names aren’t on the ballot)

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Yes, I know but I’m going to give writers the benefit of the doubt and say that they do their research.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

We have had this conversation before, but here we are again, so I will once again add that regardless of names on the ballot, there is still not justification for the other two episodes being ahead of it in the odds. To the point above, even if writers do not research, what is the argument for the others being ahead?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Amy Sherman-Palladino is taking Directing. Last time Maisel was in a bit of a tricky situation in Directing because whilst Amy Sherman-Palladino had the bigger and more recognisable name and status for Directors the other Maisel episode was considered as the standout of the season. This time her episode is considered the standout and she won’t be facing competition from either Barry or Fleabag. I guess Schitt’s Creek is her closest competitor considering it got into Casting but I mean only twice have two people ever won directing for a single comedy episode (The Jack Benny Show in 1960 and Arrested Development in 2004). I mean Schitt’s Creek could still win but idk.

I am torn with Ramy Youseff in Directing because whilst a win for him here would make sense Ramy missed Casting like The Morning Show did so idk.

I don’t see any paths for Matt Shakman and James Burrows. I guess Gail Mancuso could take it?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

but I mean only twice have two people ever won directing for a single comedy episode (The Jack Benny Show in 1960 and Arrested Development in 2004). I mean Schitt’s Creek could still win but idk.

Maybe because there rarely are directing duos in Television and that too for shows in contention at the Emmys? At this point, you’re just reaching to not predict Schitt’s Creek in places.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

There is not a single person that wouldn’t for Schitt’s Creek, just because it’s directed by two people. Like what would even be the rationale? ‘Oh, I would vote for Schitt’s Creek, but the finale is directed by two people. Unacceptable’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There is not a single person that wouldn’t for Schitt’s Creek, just because it’s directed by two people. Like what would even be the rationale? ‘Oh, I would vote for Schitt’s Creek, but the finale is directed by two people. Unacceptable’.

I’m worried they may be snobbish and think “it’s less impressive”.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tonbone
    Topics:

I was thinking about writing and directing last night for comedy and drama. I think it will be either “Maisel” or Creek” it’s hard to say and I don’t understand how Maisel didn’t get a writing nomination again. If Maisel wins directing I think it will be comedy or cabbage because that was an incredibly well shot episode and Kirby’s performance as Lenny Bruce was amazing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Yup. And the ‘only two duos have ever won’ stat fails to mention that since Arrested Development in 2004, Cividino and Levy are only the second duo to score a nomination (the others being Phil Lord and Chris Miller in 2015). There were no duos nominated at all between 1978 and 2004 – it’s clearly quite rare.

So I don’t think it’s a stat to worry about too much. That said Maisel is probably the one to beat.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheCineMike
    Topics:

I’m not confident to predict Schitt’s Creek for directing since it’s not like a directorial showcase. I can see it win given the love for the show but, for now, I don’t see it likely winning directing. Right now, I have Amy for Maisel.

https://thecinemike.wordpress.com/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like with Directing we could either see the Academy award the Comedy and Drama awards in pairs like Ramy and The Morning ShowThe Crown/Ozark and Maisel or Schitt’s Creek and Succession. At the moment I am leaning towards Ozark and Maisel but I think as Riley said with Drama Casting I think if Succession and Schitt’s win their casting categories then they are both sweeping and yes that means they are both winning Directing. If MaiselOzark or The Crown win Casting then it makes things more interesting and then if the Casting branch throws a wtf curveball and gives Casting to things like Insecure, Dead to MeKilling Eve or Big Little Lies LMAO then it will be exactly as a wtf curveball says in its name, WTF.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I think this years directing races are extremely intersting. The four shows that have a shot at a possible upset (Homeland/The Morning Show, Ramy and Little Fires Everywhere) all failed to get into casting. If all managed to win, this will be absolutely unprecedented. But considering what we have been seeing with this category, I wouldn’t be surprised.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I said this about Little Fires Everywhere on the Movie/Limited thread and I think its Casting snub is irrelevant. It is clear that the nomination is a tribute to Lynn Shelton and that she will garner lots of votes. The question is whether Watchmen will split and whether she will benefit from that split.

I don’t see anyway Homeland wins. I mean this is the show’s sole nomination this year and I think when we talk about criticisms of show we neglect to mention how Homeland has been very controversial and criticised by many for its islamophobic and racist tropes and portrayal of people of colour. I mean the show went downhill in nominations anyway after the election of an openly racist and bigoted president in the US so do we really expect that in this particular year they are going to award the show (especially when they may reward Ramy on the Comedy side which is like the anti Homeland and awarding both Homeland and Ramy in the same ceremony just looks awkward). It could very well just be that this nomination is as a result of goodwill for Lesli Linka Glatter and is arguably filler because of how The Handmaid’s TaleStranger ThingsKilling Eve and others have fallen out of love with the directors branch this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 226 through 239 (of 239 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.