Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2020

Writing and Directing 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 223 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
boss
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

That being said with Watchmen submitting three episodes

Is this confirmed? I find it unlikely that they would submit more than the DGA nominated episodes. In writing, if Watchmen wants to win they should stick with one. “A God Walks into Abar” is the deserving one, but “This Extraordinary Being” is gaining relevance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Why is everybody sure that Maisel is going to kill it in directing, but be snubbed in writing when they received a WGA nomination for series and, for the first time, for comedic episode, yes, it was snubbed last year, but I do not see it as a lock for a snub.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

If people think late artists have an automatically better chance of getting nominated or winning, they need to check their stats. Remember when people thought Carrie Fisher would win for Catastrophe? Yeah.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I agree. Especially that we’re now almost sure that the category will have eight nominees, I would be completely shocked if Maisel still somehow missed. There are different ways of looking at it, but I think last year was a fluke.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

If people think late artists have an automatically better chance of getting nominated or winning, they need to check their stats. Remember when people thought Carrie Fisher would win for Catastrophe? Yeah.

She was still nominated though…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She was still nominated though…

And it’s not like anyone is saying Lynn Shelton is going to win.

I mean look at Carrie Fisher or Kathryn Joosten whose shows were well past their Emmy sell by date but still clinched posthumous nominations. Considering a lot of people are predicting Witherspoon and Washington and Little Fires Everywhere in Series I don’t see how Lynn Shelton has NO CHANCE when she might even be aided by not only the sad news of her passing but the buzz of her show also.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yes, she was, and it’s so typical of the internet to say that it’s just because she died. I wasn’t really into awards yet that year, so correct me if I’m wrong, of course. I pray that voters don’t actually think that way: “Hey, let’s nominate him or her because he or she is not with us anymore.” I get that you want to pay your respects, but I’m not sure you’re doing that by checking someone off when you usually wouldn’t (if they were alive). Regardless, I don’t think she is getting nominated. If Watchmen is submitting 3 and Mrs. America 2, it’s done.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree if Watchmen is submitting three and Mrs. America two then there is no way anything else gets nominated for Directing. However I don’t think it’s left of centre to think she is ahead of Stephen Frears, Lisa Cholodenko, Lenny Abrahamson or Maria Schrader.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Yes, she was, and it’s so typical of the internet to say that it’s just because she died. I wasn’t really into awards yet that year, so correct me if I’m wrong, of course.

You are wrong on this one imo. The Emmys did not recognise Catastrophe in any other category that year and it only got one single other nomination (writing) in the entire rest of its run. Fisher was great and deserved her nomination but the only reason she was even on the voters’ radar for the role was because she died.

(I agree Shelton is not getting nominated)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

I’m not sure how many Ozark episodes is submitting for writing.

They are submitting the last two episodes only.

I also don’t see why BCS would be ahead of THT in directing when, unlike THT, it’s actually missed directing before.

Better Call Saul has not competed with “Bagman” before and The Handmaid’s Tale has not competed with its DGA-snubbed third season before.

FYC : J. Smith-Cameron wrote:
    That being said with Watchmen submitting three episodes

Is this confirmed?

No.  HBO will certainly submit their two producing directors.  Fred Toye only freelanced this year and the Watchmen finale is his highest-profile episode, so I assume that he uses his free submission on it.  It is the same story with David Semel, so my guess is that Watchmen appears four times on the directing ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Updated post Emmy ballots release

Drama Writing

1. Succession
    2. The Crown
    3. Mindhunter
    4. The Handmaid’s Tale
    5. The Outsider
    6. Stranger Things
    7. Better Call Saul
    8. Better Call Saul
    9. Ozark
    10. Homeland

11th Place : Big Little Lies

Drama Directing

1. Succession
    2. The Crown
    3. Ozark
    4. Homeland
    5. The Outsider
    6. Succession
    7. The Crown
    8. Ozark
    9. Stranger Things
    10. Better Call Saul

11th Place  : Mindhunter

Comedy Writing

1. The Good Place
    2. Schitt’s Creek
    3. Schitt’s Creek
    4. Sex Education 
    5. Dead to Me
    6. The Great
    7. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    8. Insecure
    8. Ramy
    9. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    10. What We Do in the Shadows

11th Place : What We Do in the Shadows

Comedy Directing

1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Schitt’s Creek
    4. The Great
    5. Will and Grace
    6. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    7. The Good Place
    8. One Day at a Time
    9. Ramy
    10. Dead to Me

11th Place : Curb Your Enthusiasm

Limited/Movie Writing

1. Watchmen
    2. Bad Education
    3. El Camino
    4. Mrs. America
    5. Mrs. America
    6. Unbelievable
    7. Normal People
    8. Unorthodox
    9. The Loudest Voice
    10. Mrs. America

11th Place : Mrs. America

Limited/Movie Directing

1. Watchmen
    2. Mrs. America
    3. Watchmen
    4. Mrs. America
    5. Little Fires Everywhere
    6. Watchmen
    7. Mrs. America
    8. Watchmen
    9. Mrs. America
    10. El Camino

11th Place : The Loudest Voice

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Limited/Movie Writing

1. Watchmen
    2. Bad Education
    3. El Camino
    4. Mrs. America
    5. Mrs. America
    6. Unbelievable
    7. Normal People
    8. Unorthodox
    9. The Loudest Voice
    10. Mrs. America

11th Place : Mrs. America

Interesting that you have Unbelievable below Bad Education and El Camino. Why is that?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

That’s just not happening. People also forget that names aren’t on the writing ballot. Unbelievable isn’t missing at the expense of those two.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

My post-ballots predictions:

DRAMA

-Directing:
    The Crown for the episode “Aberfan” directed by Benjamin Caron
    The Crown for the episode “Cri de Coeur” directed by Jessica Hobbs
    Homeland for the episode “Prisoners of War” directed by Lesli Linka Glatter
    The Outsider for the episode “Fish in a Barrel” directed by Jason Bateman
    Ozark for the episode “Fire Pink” directed by Alik Sakharov
    Ozark for the episode “Su Casa Es Mi Casa” directed by Benjamin Semanoff
    Succession for the episode “This Is Not for Tears” directed by Mark Mylod
    Succession for the episode “Hunting” directed by Andrij Parekh

-Writing:
    Better Call Saul for the episode “Bad Choice Road” written by Thomas Schnauz
    Better Call Saul for the episode “Bagman” written by Gordon Smith
    The Crown for the episode “Aberfan” written by Peter Morgan
    The Good Fight for the episode “The Gang Deals with Alternate Reality” written by Michelle King & Robert King
    Mindhunter for the episode “Episode 3” written by Joshua Donen & Phillip Howze & Courtenay Miles
    Ozark for the episode “Fire Pink” written by Miki Johnson
    Succession for the episode “This Is Not for Tears” written by Jesse Armstrong

COMEDY

-Directing:
    Better Things for the episode “Listen to the Roosters” directed by Pamela Adlon
    The Good Place for the episode “Whenever You’re Ready” directed by Michael Schur
    The Great for the episode “The Great” directed by Matt Shakman
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for the episode “Marvelous Radio” directed by Daniel Palladino
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for the episode “It’s Comedy or Cabbage” directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino
    Schitt’s Creek for the episode “Happy Ending” directed by Andrew Cividino & Daniel Levy
    Will & Grace for the episode “We Love Lucy” directed by James Burrows

-Writing:
    Better Things for the episode “Batceañera” written by Joe Hortua & Ira Parker
    The Good Place for the episode “Whenever You’re Ready” written by Michael Schur
    The Great for the episode “The Great” written by Tony McNamara
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for the episode “It’s Comedy or Cabbage” written by Amy Sherman-Palladino
    Schitt’s Creek for the episode “Happy Ending” written by Daniel Levy
    Schitt’s Creek for the episode “The Presidential Suite” written by David West Read
    Sex Education for the episode “Episode 1” written by Laurie Nunn

LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE

-Directing:
    Mrs. America for the episode “Shirley” directed by Amma Asante
    Mrs. America for the episode “Reagan” directed by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck
    Mrs. America for the episode “Houston” directed by Janicza Bravo
    Watchmen for the episode “It’s Summer and We’re Running Out of Ice” directed by Nicole Kassell
    Watchmen for the episode “See How They Fly” directed by Frederick E.O. Toye
    Watchmen for the episode “This Extraordinary Being” directed by Stephen Williams

-Writing:
    Mrs. America for the episode “Shirley” written by Tanya Barfield
    Mrs. America for the episode “Betty” written by Boo Killebrew
    Mrs. America for the episode “Houston” written by Dahvi Waller
    Unbelievable for the episode “Episode 1” written by Michael Chabon & Susannah Grant & Ayelet Waldman
    Watchmen for the episode “This Extraordinary Being” written by Cord Jefferson & Damon Lindelof

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

The Good Fight over The Handmaid’s Tale in writing? C’mon now.

I might go with The Handmaid’s Tale at the end, but I feel like submitting those episodes together made it a bit hard.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.