Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2020

Writing and Directing 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 223 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
boss
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I might go with The Handmaid’s Tale at the end, but I feel like submitting those episodes together made it a bit hard.

Sorry that I deleted it; I didn’t want the discussion to go in circles since we’ve discussed this before. I don’t think having 2 episodes is going to harm it at all, especially when we have shows with 3 or 6 submissions in contention. They’re also the two most acclaimed episodes of the season, so IMO it’s more likely that they check off both than just one of them. But if they do, I’d easily give Mayday the edge because will people remember what happened in “Liars?” I would hope so, and we surely do, but I don’t know if others will as well. Mayday, on the other hand, is a very specific title.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Initial Post-Ballots Predictions

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
    1. The Crown, Benjamin Caron “Aberfan”
    2. Succession, Mark Mylod “This is Not for Tears”
    3. Ozark, Alik Sakharov “Fire Pink”
    4. The Crown, Jessica Hobbs “Cri de Coeur”
    5. Homeland, Lesli Linka Glatter “Prisoners of War”
    6. The Outsider, Jason Bateman “Fish in a Barrel”
    7. Stranger Things, The Duffer Brothers “Chapter Eight: The Battle of Starcourt’
    8. Succession, Andrij Parekh “Hunting”

9. The Handmaid’s Tale, Daina Reid “Bear Witness”
    10. Better Call Saul, Vince Gilligan “Bagman”

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
    1. Succession, Jesse Armstrong “This is Not for Tears”
    2. The Crown, Peter Morgan “Aberfan”
    3. Better Call Saul, Gordon Smith “Bagman”
    4. Better Call Saul, Thomas Schnauz “Bad Choice Road”
    5. The Handmaid’s Tale, Bruce Miller “Mayday”
    6. The Outsider, Richard Price “Fish in a Barrel”
    7. Stranger Things, The Duffer Brothers “Chapter Eight: The Battle of Starcourt’

8. Mindhunter, Joshua Donen & Phillip Howze & Courtenay Miles “Episode 3”
    9. David Makes Man, Lucien Christian Adderley & Richard “Byrd” Wilson “3 Sons’ Sky”
    10. Ozark, Miki Johnson “Fire Pink”
    11. Pose, Ryan Murphy & Janet Mock “Never Knew Love Like This Before”

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
    1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Amy Sherman-Palladino “It’s Comedy or Cabbage”
    2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Daniel Palladino “Marvelous Radio”
    3. Will & Grace, James Burrows “We Love Lucy”
    4. Better Things, Pamela Adlon “Listen To Th Roosters”
    5. Silicon Valley, Alec Berg “Exit Event”
    6. Ramy, Ramy Youssef “Miakhalifa.mov”
    7. Schitt’s Creek, Andrew Cividino & Daniel Levy “Happy Ending”

8. Silicon Valley, Mike Judge “Artificial Lack of Intelligence”
    9. The Good Place, Mike Schur “Whenever You’re Ready”
    10. Curb Your Enthusiasm, Jeff Schaffer “Happy New Year”
    11. Dave, Greg Mottola “The Gander”

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
    1. The Good Place, Michael Schur “Whenever You’re Ready”
    2. Schitt’s Creek, Daniel Levy “Happy Ending”
    3. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Amy Sherman-Palladino “It’s Comedy or Cabbage”
    4. Dave, Saladin Patterson “Hype Man”
    5. Silicon Valley, Alec Berg “Exit Event”
    6. Dave, Dave Burd & Jeff Schaffer “The Gander”
    7. Ramy, Ramy Youssef & Amir Sulaiman “Bay’ah”

8. The Great, Tony McNamara “The Great”
    9. Sex Education, Laurie Nunn “Episode 1″
    10. Ramy, Ramy Youssef & Rob Ulin “You Are Naked In Front Of Your Sheikh”
    11. Avenue 5, Armando Iannucci & Georgia Pritchett & Will Smith “This is Physically Hurting Me”

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
    1. Watchmen, Nicole Kassell “It’s Summer And We’re Running Out Of Ice”
    2. Watchmen, Stephen Williams “This Extraordinary Being”
    3. Mrs. America, Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck “Reagan”
    4. Unbelievable, Lisa Cholodenko “Episode 1”
    5. Watchmen, Steph Green “Little Fear Of Lightning”
    6. El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie, Vince Gilligan

7. Watchmen, Frederick E.O. Toye “See How They Fly”
    8. Little Fires Everywhere, Lynn Shelton “Find A Way”
    9. Normal People, Lenny Abrahamson “Episode 5”
    10. Unbelievable, Susannah Grant “Episode 7”
    11. Unorthodox, Maria Schrader

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
    1. Watchmen, Damon Lindelof & Cord Jefferson “This Extraordinary Being”
    2. Unbelievable, Michael Chabon & Susannah Grant & Ayelet Waldman “Episode 1”
    3. Mrs. America, Dahvi Waller “Houston”
    4. Normal People, Sally Rooney & Alice Birch “Episode 3”
    5. El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie, Vince Gilligan

6. Mrs. America, Tanya Barfield “Shirley”
    7. Unorthodox, Anna Winger “Part 1”
    8. The Plot Against America, David Simon & Ed Burns “Part 2”
    9. The Loudest Voice, Tom McCarthy & Gabriel Sherman “1995”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

All those predictions with The Outsider in both writing and directing but not Series don’t make sense at all for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

9. The Handmaid’s Tale, Deniz Gamze Ergüven “Liars”

(Not submitting)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Initial Post-Ballots Predictions OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES 1. The Crown, Benjamin Caron “Aberfan” 2. Succession, Mark Mylod “This is Not for Tears” 3. Ozark, Alik Sakharov “Fire Pink” 4. The Crown, Jessica Hobbs “Cri de Coeur” 5. Homeland, Lesli Linka Glatter “Prisoners of War” 6. The Outsider, Jason Bateman “Fish in a Barrel” 7. Stranger Things, The Duffer Brothers “Chapter Eight: The Battle of Starcourt’ 8. Succession, Andrij Parekh “Hunting” 9. The Handmaid’s Tale, Deniz Gamze Ergüven “Liars” 10. Better Call Saul, Vince Gilligan “Bagman” OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES 1. Succession, Jesse Armstrong “This is Not for Tears” 2. The Crown, Peter Morgan “Aberfan” 3. Better Call Saul, Gordon Smith “Bagman” 4. Better Call Saul, Thomas Schnauz “Bad Choice Road” 5. The Handmaid’s Tale, Bruce Miller “Mayday” 6. The Outsider, Richard Price “Fish in a Barrel” 7. Stranger Things, The Duffer Brothers “Chapter Eight: The Battle of Starcourt’ 8. Mindhunter, Joshua Donen & Phillip Howze & Courtenay Miles “Episode 3” 9. David Makes Man, Lucien Christian Adderley & Richard “Byrd” Wilson “3 Sons’ Sky” 10. Ozark, Miki Johnson “Fire Pink” 11. Pose, Ryan Murphy & Janet Mock “Never Knew Love Like This Before”  

There is no way these two are in the top 20 let alone the top 10.

All those predictions with The Outsider in both writing and directing but not Series don’t make sense at all for me.

See Twin Peaks in 2018. The writers and directors branch have a bias towards science fiction murder mystery shows and tend to vote for them over series frontrunners (other examples include Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s deserving yet sole nomination ever above the line in writing in 2000 and multiple writing nods for Battlestar Galactica in the late 00s over Grey’s Anatomy).

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

(Not submitting)

Sorry. I was mistaken with the writing submissions. Fixed.

There is no way these two are in the top 20 let alone the top 10.

David Makes Man is far-fetched, but an inspired choice that wouldn’t be too surprising from the writing branch. Pose is submitting only one episode, which is why I included it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

See Twin Peaks in 2018. The writers and directors branch have a bias towards science fiction murder mystery shows and tend to vote for them over series frontrunners (other examples include Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s deserving yet sole nomination ever above the line in writing in 2000 and multiple writing nods for Battlestar Galactica in the late 00s over Grey’s Anatomy).

But limited series only had 5 slots, not 8 for dramas. It doesn’t make sense for me to have The Outsider in top 6 in both of those categories and not in the top 8 in drama series, especially when there are shows (like This Is Us, The morning show, westworld or BLL) those branch wont likely go for at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But limited series only had 5 slots, not 8 for dramas. It doesn’t make sense for me to have The Outsider in top 6 in both of those categories and not in the top 8 in drama series, especially when there are shows (like This Is Us, The morning show or BLL) those branch wont likely go for at all.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say? It’s almost like you’re agreeing in the second half of your statement?

To be honest I have Bateman in my top 6 for Directing because the fact he’s Bateman and won last year kind of helps him.

See what I said about Battlestar Galactica and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This doesn’t only happen in Limited Series.

David Makes Man is far-fetched, but an inspired choice that wouldn’t be too surprising from the writing branch. Pose is submitting only one episode, which is why I included it.

Yes but there is also Big Little Lies (which yes had a more mediocre season but is only submitting one episode), Killing Eve (which has been nominated over Pose), Homeland (a show we know writers love and we saw how sentimental they get when a show they love is leaving the airwaves) and Ozark. If you’re including Pose because it only submitted one episode then you shouldn’t be including Better Call Saul twice.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Yes but there is also Big Little Lies (which yes had a more mediocre season but is only submitting one episode), Killing Eve (which has been nominated over Pose), Homeland (a show we know writers love and we saw how sentimental they get when a show they love is leaving the airwaves) and Ozark. If you’re including Pose because it only submitted one episode then you shouldn’t be including Better Call Saul twice.

I included it as a potential spoiler. I don’t actually have a ranked list of every submitted entry and posting here only the top 10. Sure, Big Little Lies might be ahead of it, but I believe David Makes Man could surprise, so I included it.

Killing Eve possibly killed its chances when submitting three episodes. Pose was nominated for Drama last year, it’s Ryan Murphy and it’s somewhat gaining buzz.

Obviously, Better Call Saul is in a much better position than Pose, so I don’t understand your comment that I shouldn’t predict two Better Call Saul episode because I included Pose?

Anyways, those are just my opinions, feel free to share yours.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Lol writers nominated PEN15, I won’t be shocked if they did something as wacky as nominating David Makes Man or The Good Fight.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But Pen15 was on Hulu. David Makes Man is on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

I could see writers checking The Good Fight purely based on what their submission infos are about.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jacob121
    Topics:

LOL I love all the “this could not possibly be in the top ten” chatter when realistically we have no idea and we get surprises every year.

That said, there’s no possibility that The Good Fight is in the top ten for writing 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES 11. Avenue 5, Armando Iannucci & Georgia Pritchett & Will Smith “This is Physically Hurting Me”

Thrilled this is on the ballot! If voters watched Avenue 5, keep an eye on this one. An eerily prescient and devastating satire.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

LOL I love all the “this could not possibly be in the top ten” chatter when realistically we have no idea and we get surprises every year. That said, there’s no possibility that The Good Fight is in the top ten for writing 😉

Or David Makes Man for that matter. The Good Fight is probably ahead of it (and that’s not even close).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Thrilled this is on the ballot! If voters watched Avenue 5, keep an eye on this one. An eerily prescient and devastating satire.

I rewatched it recently and it’s better in retrospective. It achieves a terrific political satire, one that Veep failed to incorporate in its latter seasons, especially the final.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.