Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2021

Writing and Directing 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
21 hours ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Heptapod
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Disney’s FYC site has a “Must Watch Episode” feature, assuming these will be one of (possibly only) episodes they submit in each category.

DRAMA

Pose (N/A)
    This Is Us (“Forty, Part Two”)
    Ratched (“Pilot”)
    Grey’s Anatomy (“Fight the Power”)
    Rebel (“Pilot”)
    Godfather of Harlem (N/A)
    Big Sky (“Nowhere to Run”)
    The Wilds (“Day One”)
    Mayans MC (“Pap Struggles With the Death Angel”)
    9-1-1 (“Buck Begins”)
    9–1-1: Lone Star (“Hold the Line”)

COMEDY

Blackish (“Hero Pizza”)
    Love Victor (“Boys Trip”)
    The Politician (“New York State of Mind”)
    Woke (“Rhymes with Broke”)
    Mighty Ducks (“Game On”)
    Grownish (“Know Yourself”)
    Mixedish (“My Prerogative”)
    Last (“Lost & Found”)
    American Housewife (“The Election”)
    Call Your Mother (“Sunday Diner”)
    Home Economics (“Pilot”)

LIMITED

Genius Aretha (“Respect”)

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Now that TFATWS is in Drama, Kari Skogland’s looking at a much better shot for a Directing nomination. I think her chances depend on how much the branch ends up liking Lovecraft Country, Pose, and Perry Mason (none looking very good) or if they’re willing to return to THT (not impossible but also unlikely).

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Updated now The Falcon and the Winter Soldier has moved to Drama and Netflix has chosen not to submit The Serpent.

Directing for a Drama Series

1. Benjamin Caron, The Crown (“Fairytale”)
    2. Jessica Hobbs, The Crown (“War”)
    3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 9 : The Marshal”)
    4. Julie Anne Robinson, Bridgerton (“Diamond of the First Water”)
    5. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Jedi”)
    6. Tom Verica, Bridgerton (“Shock and Delight”)
    7. Bryce Dallas Howard, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 11 : The Heiress”)
    8. Kari Skogland, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (“New World Order”)

9. Tim Van Patten, Perry Mason (“Pilot”)
    10. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Believer”)

Directing for a Limited Series, Anthology, Dramatic Special or Movie Made for Television

1. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    2. Matt Shakman, WandaVision
    3. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    4. Steve McQueen, Small Axe
    5. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    6. Daniel Minahan, Halston

7. Susanne Bier, The Undoing 
    8. Peter Hoar, It’s a Sin
    9. Craig Zobel, Mare of Easttown
    10. Albert Hughes, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”)

Writing for a Drama Series

1. Peter Morgan, The Crown (“Fairytale”)
    2. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Jedi”)
    3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 16 : The Rescue”)
    4. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 15 : The Believer”)
    5. Eric Kripke, The Boys (“The Big Ride”)
    6. Rebecca Sonnenshine, The Boys (“What I Know”)
    7. Lucy Prebble, I Hate Suzie (“Acceptance”)

8. Sam Levinson, Euphoria (“Trouble Don’t Last Always”)
    9. Misha Green, Lovecraft Country (“Sundown”)
    10. Craig Rosenberg, The Boys (“Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men”)

Writing for a Limited Series, Anthology, Dramatic Special or Movie Made for Television

1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    2. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    4. Russell T. Davies, It’s a Sin
    5. Laura Donney, WandaVision (“Previously On”)

6. Steve McQueen and Alistair Siddons, Small Axe (“Mangrove”)
    7. Jac Shaeffer, WandaVision (“Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience”)
    8. Bobak Esfarjani and Megan McDonnell, WandaVision (“We Interrupt This Program”)
    9. Mark Richard and Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird (“Last Words”)
    10. Ian Brennan, Ryan Murphy and Sharr White, Halston (“The Party’s Over”)

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

How far would directing submissions have to fall for us to lose the eighth nominee for comedy and drama?

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Drama would have to fall nineteen percent.  There was no eighth nominee in comedy last year, but it will actually lose its seventh slot if it is down twelve percent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Apparently, Aziz Ansari will direct all of the episodes of Master of None‘s third season and all are also co-written with Lena Waithe. So, it will probably submit a single episode per category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

A delayed episode of Blackish (“Please Baby Please”) that was supposed to air in Season 4, which was later released to Hulu this past Emmy cycle last summer, will be submitted for Emmy consideration in both the Comedy and Writing categories. It was directed by series creator Kenya Barris and co-written with Peter Saji.

The initial episode pulling in 2018 was the catalyst for Barris leaving Disney-ABC for Netflix.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/emmys-2021-early-voters-guide-dates-1234952476/

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Scripted shows with consideration materials / videos under the directing and writing tags on Netflix’s FYSEE site

DIRECTING

The Queen’s Gambit (two videos
    Bridgerton
    Emily in Paris

WRITING

The Crown (four videos)
    The Queen’s Gambit (two videos)
    Big Mouth

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

For All Mankind finale could be a contender in writing. Critics are really praising it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For All Mankind finale could be a contender in writing. Critics are really praising it.

How many people are watching though? It feels like it doesn’t have any industry buzz.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Yeah, this seems like a WGA episodic nomination, not an Emmy one. Where we are at is that their writers’ branch triple-nominated Ozark last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah, this seems like a WGA episodic nomination, not an Emmy one. Where we are at is that their writers’ branch triple-nominated Ozark last year.

This is why I think The Mandalorian is going to get all three of its writers in (assuming they’re submitted). For every Pen15 and The Americans, the writers branch can be quite lazy in their picks and default multiple slots to a show they’re passionate about.

What will be interesting to see is how many episodes The Boys submits. If they submit three or more I’ll probably predict the show to fill out the remaining slots but if one or two episodes are submitted then that last slot becomes interesting. That being said I still find it hard to believe For All Mankind would be the show to slip into that category.

How much would submissions have to fall for drama writing to lose the 7th slot?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Thirty-four percent, ha. The Boys does seem to be in the Mindhunter position, which actually should be enough this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Boys reminds me of Bodyguard in the sense that it’s an audience hit with writers branch support that is the top priority for one of the big streamers but the consensus of awards bodies suggests it isn’t taken too seriously with prestige for it to break through in categories like acting or directing.

I can see it just get into series + writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

As they should. It was a great finale. This show does thriller so well. Also the soundtrack slaps.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.