Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2021

Writing and Directing 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Heptapod
  • Profile picture
    Xandona
    Topics:

Personally, I would like to single out Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso (“Tan Lines”). His writing was very cool and interesting for me. I even wrote a review of his work using APA citations. For me, he is a real genius. I hope that someday I will be able to write just like him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I think the Pose finale can happen in writing. The competition is very dire.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Absolutely!

The show could very well have been in 12th/13th all this time and it also helps that the writers branch has tended to be quite sentimental in their choices in that category as of late. Entirely within the realms of possibility.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Writing for a Drama Series 1. Peter Morgan, The Crown (“Fairytale”) 2. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Jedi”) 3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 16 : The Rescue”) 4. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 15 : The Believer”) 5. Eric Kripke, The Boys (“The Big Ride”) 6. Rebecca Sonnenshine, The Boys (“What I Know”) 7. Craig Rosenberg, The Boys (“Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men”)

I, in no way, see this lineup with 3 nominations each for The Boys and The Mandalorian.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

It’s wild to me that Pose has never been nominated in Writing before. In Season 2 alone, there’s so many episodes that are just beautifully written. I hope we see it make a dent here for this last season.

FYC:
    Emmy: Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose")
    BAFTA: Leila Farzad ("I Hate Suzie")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know this is unpopular but whilst I thought it certainly was nomination worthy, I didn’t enjoy season 2 so much.

Season 1 should have swept though.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I hear that The Flight Attendant is only submitting writer Steve Yockey and director Susanna Fogel.  Perry Mason is submitting its creators and both of its directors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hear that The Flight Attendant is only submitting writer Steve Yockey and director Susanna Fogel.

I assume this means both the writing and directing submission will be the pilot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I hope so, it has been singled out as being great in every reviews so far. It’s also 90min long.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

May predictions.

Directing for a Comedy Series

1. Susanna Fogel, The Flight Attendant (“In Case of Emergency”)
    2. MJ Delaney, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”)
    3. Zach Braff, Ted Lasso (“Biscuits”)
    4. Fred Savage, The Conners (“Friends in High Places and Horse Surgery”)
    5. Aziz Ansari, Master of None
    6. Hacks
    7. Josh Heald, Cobra Kai (“December 19”)

8. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”)
    9. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“Finale”)
    10. Sam Zvibleman, Pen15 (“Opening Night”)

Directing for a Drama Series

1. Benjamin Caron, The Crown (“Fairytale”)
    2. Jessica Hobbs, The Crown (“War”)
    3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 9 : The Marshal”)
    4. Julie Anne Robinson, Bridgerton (“Diamond of the First Water”)
    5. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Jedi”)
    6. Tom Verica, Bridgerton (“Shock and Delight”)
    7. Bryce Dallas Howard, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 11 : The Heiress”)
    8. Kari Skogland, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (“New World Order”)

9. Tim Van Patten, Perry Mason (“Pilot”)
    10. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Believer”)

Directing for a Limited Series, Anthology, Dramatic Special or Movie Made for Television

1. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    2. Matt Shakman, WandaVision
    3. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    4. Steve McQueen, Small Axe
    5. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    6. Daniel Minahan, Halston

7. Craig Zobel, Mare of Easttown
    8. Susanne Bier, The Undoing 
    9. Peter Hoar, It’s a Sin
    10. Albert Hughes, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”)

Writing for a Comedy Series

1. Jason Sudeikis, Joe Kelly and Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso (“Make Rebecca Great Again”)
    2. Bill Lawrence, Jason Sudeikis, Brendan Hunt and Joe Kelly, Ted Lasso (“Pilot”)
    3. Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly and Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”)
    4. Anna Konkle, Pen15 (“Vendy Wiccany”)
    5. Maya Erskine, Pen15 (“Play”)
    6. Aziz Ansari and Lena Waithe, Master of None
    7. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”)

8. Paul W. Downs, Lucia Aniello and Jen Statsky, Hacks
    9. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“In All The Old Familiar Places”)
    10. Steve Yockey, The Flight Attendant (“In Case of Emergency”)

Writing for a Drama Series

1. Peter Morgan, The Crown (“Fairytale”)
    2. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Jedi”)
    3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 16 : The Rescue”)
    4. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 15 : The Believer”)
    5. Eric Kripke, The Boys (“The Big Ride”)
    6. Rebecca Sonnenshine, The Boys (“What I Know”)
    7. Craig Rosenberg, The Boys (“Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men”)

8. Steven Canals, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, Pose (“Finale”)
    9. Lucy Prebble, I Hate Suzie (“Acceptance”)
    10. Sam Levinson, Euphoria (“Trouble Don’t Last Always”)

Writing for a Limited Series, Anthology, Dramatic Special or Movie Made for Television

1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    2. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    4. Russell T. Davies, It’s a Sin
    5. Laura Donney, WandaVision (“Previously On”)

6. Steve McQueen and Alistair Siddons, Small Axe (“Mangrove”)
    7. Jac Shaeffer, WandaVision (“Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience”)
    8. Brad Ingelsby, Mare of Easttown
    9. Bobak Esfarjani and Megan McDonnell, WandaVision (“We Interrupt This Program”)
    10. Ian Brennan, Ryan Murphy and Sharr White, Halston (“The Party’s Over”)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

Shouldn’t The Good Lord Bird be at least top 10 for Writing? It got into WGA (I know it was a weak field but still) and I feel that writers would give more support for it other than Wandavision

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Shouldn’t The Good Lord Bird be at least top 10? It got into WGA (I know it was a weak field but still) and I feel that writers would give more support for it other than Wandavision

I have it 11th. Until the reviews for Halston are lifted I currently have it inter-changeable with that (Hollywood making it into WGA in the weak field tells me that if Halston is better received that it stands a chance at breaking in).

I do think whilst things might look grim for it, The Good Lord Bird is a dark horse to get nominated in Writing. My only qualm with the show is that it failed to make a dent at the winter awards and It’s a Sin and WandaVision have so much buzz for their writing (especially the 9th episode of WandaVision which essentially trended on Twitter because of the writing of a certain quote from the episode). Small Axe made it in to the equivalent BAFTA category over Normal People so that’s a testament to its possible strength and whilst I’m largely sceptical of its chances, Mare of Easttown does seem to have some buzz for its writing.

To cut a long story short after the first 3 I listed, I do think anything can happen in Writing (apart from The Undoing lol) and yes that does include The Good Lord Bird. The AFI nod makes me feel confident that at least Hawke is making it in.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.