Home Forums Television Writing and Directing 2021

Writing and Directing 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Heptapod
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Has the Ted Lasso episodes / submissions been confirmed yet or is it still speculation?

I’m just speculating (for that and pretty much every show other than Netflix’s lol). Knowing Apple’s strategy last year, I think it’s highly possible they only submit once in directing and writing, but I’m giving them a second slot at least until we see the ballot because I’m desperate to fill slots.

The shutout of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt in writing at the Emmys (despite two nominations at WGA?) makes me a little worried for Girls5eva, but a lack of shows that seem like they’ll appeal to writers gives me enough confidence to slot it in.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Not done these in a while

DRAMA DIRECTING:

1. Jessica Hobbs, The Crown (“War”)
    2. Benjamin Caron, The Crown (“Fairytale”)
    3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 9: The Marshal”)
    4. Julie Anne Robinson, Bridgerton (“Diamond of the First Water”)
    5. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13: The Jedi”)
    6. Bryce Dallas Howard, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 11; The Heiress”)
    7. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13: The Believer”)
    8. Tim Van Patten, Perry Mason (“Pilot”)

9. Tom Verica, Bridgerton (“Shock and Delight”)
    10. Kari Skogland, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier 
    11. Deniz Gamze Ergüven, Perry Mason (“Chapter 4”)

DRAMA WRITING:
    1. Peter Morgan, The Crown (“War”)
    2. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 9: The Marshal”)
    3. Eric Kripke, The Boys (“The Big Ride”)
    4. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 15: The Believer”)
    5. Rebecca Sonnenshine, The Boys (“What I Know”)
    6. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 16: The Jedi”)
    7. Lucy Prebble, I Hate Suzie (“Acceptance”)

8. Craig Rosenberg, The Boys (“Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men”)
    9. Misha Green, Lovecraft Country (“Sundown”)
    10. Sam Levinson, Euphoria (“Trouble Don’t Always Last”)
    11. Rolin Jones & Ron Fitzgerald, Perry Mason (“Chapter 1”)
    12. Katori Hall, P Valley (“Perpetratin”)
    13. Sam Levinson and Hunter Schafer (“**** Anyone Who’s Not a Sea Blob”)
    14. Matt Wolpert & Ben Nedivi, For All Mankind (“The Grey”)

COMEDY DIRECTING:
    1. Susanna Fogel, The Flight Attendant (“In Case of Emergency”)
    2. MJ Delaney, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”)
    3. Josh Heald, Cobra Kai (“December 19”)
    4. Fred Savage, The Conners (“Keep on Trucking Six Feet Apart”)
    5. Zach Braff, Ted Lasso (“Biscuits”)
    6. Aziz Ansari, Master of None
    7. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“Finale”)

8. Sam Zvibleman, Pen15 (“Opening Night”)
    9. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”)
    10. Silas Howard, Dickinson (“You Cannot Put a Fire Out”)

COMEDY WRITING:
    1. Jason Sudeikis, Joe Kelly and Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso (“Make Rebecca Great Again”)
    2. Bill Lawrence, Jason Sudeikis, Brendan Hunt and Joe Kelly, Ted Lasso (“Pilot”)
    3. Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly and Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”)
    4. Aziz Ansari and Lena Waithe, Master of None
    5. Anna Konkle, Pen15 (“Vendy Wiccany”)
    6. Maya Erskine, Pen15 (“Play”)
    7. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”)

8. Paul W. Downs, Lucia Aniello and Jen Statsky, Hacks
    9. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“In All The Old Familiar Places”)
    10. Victor Quinaz, Big Mouth (“Nick Starr”)

LIMITED DIRECTING:

1. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    2. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    2. Matt Shakman, WandaVision
    4. Steve McQueen, Small Axe
    5. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    6. Craig Zobel, Mare of Easttown

7. Susanne Bier, The Undoing 
    8. Daniel Minahan, Halston
    8. Peter Hoar, It’s a Sin
    10. Albert Hughes, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”)

LIMITED WRITING:
    1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    2. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Jac Schafer, WandaVision (“Live In Front of a Studio Audience”)
    4. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    5. Russell T. Davies, It’s a Sin

6. Steve McQueen and Alistair Siddons, Small Axe (“Mangrove”)
    7. Brad Ingleby, Mare of Easttown
    8. Laura Donney, WandaVision (“Previously On”)
    9. Peter Cameron and Mackenzie Dohr, WandaVision (“On A Very Special Episode”)
    10. The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”)

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

The Mandalorian with 7 noms between writing and directing? It just can’t be.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Michaela is safely in directing and that she might even be ahead of someone like Matt Shakman.

Every year there is a show that is automatically assumed to be a non-factor in directing due to the writing being disproportionately showier and buzzier (Schitt’s CreekFleabagKilling Eve). But also Coel’s direction does have passion. She missed DGA but her show suffered from foreign bias and was actually ineligible there but she got into such a crowded field at BAFTA. and although the directors branch aren’t as auteur driven as the writers, I think the fact that there were so many headlines around this year being the first time two women were nominated for Best Director at the Oscars that there is going to be more of a drive for female led shows to receive nominations. Especially those helmed by women. That plus the narrative Coel has if she receives writing, directing, acting and producing nominations makes me feel somewhat confident in I May Destroy You making the cut there. Especially if “Ego Death” is the submission.

She won’t win directing of course though. Writing is the one to look out for her in when it comes to a potential win.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Not done these in a while DRAMA DIRECTING: 1. Jessica Hobbs, The Crown (“War”) 2. Benjamin Caron, The Crown (“Fairytale”) 3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 9: The Marshal”) 4. Julie Anne Robinson, Bridgerton (“Diamond of the First Water”) 5. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13: The Jedi”) 6. Bryce Dallas Howard, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 11; The Heiress”) 7. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13: The Believer”) 8. Tim Van Patten, Perry Mason (“Pilot”) – 9. Tom Verica, Bridgerton (“Shock and Delight”) 10. Kari Skogland, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier 11. Deniz Gamze Ergüven, Perry Mason (“Chapter 4”) DRAMA WRITING: 1. Peter Morgan, The Crown (“War”) 2. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 9: The Marshal”) 3. Eric Kripke, The Boys (“The Big Ride”) 4. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 15: The Believer”) 5. Rebecca Sonnenshine, The Boys (“What I Know”) 6. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 16: The Jedi”) 7. Lucy Prebble, I Hate Suzie (“Acceptance”) – 8. Craig Rosenberg, The Boys (“Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men”) 9. Misha Green, Lovecraft Country (“Sundown”) 10. Sam Levinson, Euphoria (“Trouble Don’t Always Last”) 11. Rolin Jones & Ron Fitzgerald, Perry Mason (“Chapter 1”) 12. Katori Hall, P Valley (“Perpetratin”) 13. Sam Levinson and Hunter Schafer (“**** Anyone Who’s Not a Sea Blob”) 14. Matt Wolpert & Ben Nedivi, For All Mankind (“The Grey”) COMEDY DIRECTING: 1. Susanna Fogel, The Flight Attendant (“In Case of Emergency”) 2. MJ Delaney, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”) 3. Josh Heald, Cobra Kai (“December 19”) 4. Fred Savage, The Conners (“Keep on Trucking Six Feet Apart”) 5. Zach Braff, Ted Lasso (“Biscuits”) 6. Aziz Ansari, Master of None 7. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“Finale”) – 8. Sam Zvibleman, Pen15 (“Opening Night”) 9. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”) 10. Silas Howard, Dickinson (“You Cannot Put a Fire Out”) COMEDY WRITING: 1. Jason Sudeikis, Joe Kelly and Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso (“Make Rebecca Great Again”) 2. Bill Lawrence, Jason Sudeikis, Brendan Hunt and Joe Kelly, Ted Lasso (“Pilot”) 3. Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly and Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”) 4. Aziz Ansari and Lena Waithe, Master of None 5. Anna Konkle, Pen15 (“Vendy Wiccany”) 6. Maya Erskine, Pen15 (“Play”) 7. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”) – 8. Paul W. Downs, Lucia Aniello and Jen Statsky, Hacks 9. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“In All The Old Familiar Places”) 10. Victor Quinaz, Big Mouth (“Nick Starr”) LIMITED DIRECTING: 1. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit 2. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad 2. Matt Shakman, WandaVision 4. Steve McQueen, Small Axe 5. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”) 6. Craig Zobel, Mare of Easttown – 7. Susanne Bier, The Undoing 8. Daniel Minahan, Halston 8. Peter Hoar, It’s a Sin 10. Albert Hughes, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”) LIMITED WRITING: 1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You 2. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit 3. Jac Schafer, WandaVision (“Live In Front of a Studio Audience”) 4. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad 5. Russell T. Davies, It’s a Sin – 6. Steve McQueen and Alistair Siddons, Small Axe (“Mangrove”) 7. Brad Ingleby, Mare of Easttown 8. Laura Donney, WandaVision (“Previously On”) 9. Peter Cameron and Mackenzie Dohr, WandaVision (“On A Very Special Episode”) 10. The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”)

I really can’t see The Mandalorian just not pushing The Rescue at all. It’s universally praised, generally viewed as the highlight of the season, and arguably the single buzziest episode of tv since Game of Thrones. Peyton Reed is a decently big name too, so it’s not like a nobody directed it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Holy forking shirtballs, Mare episode 5.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Holy forking shirtballs, Mare episode 5.

Time for me to say bye bye to Susanne Bier from my predictions lol!

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Euphoria is submitting Special 1 to Directing and Special 2 to Writing (per Variety)

Hunter Schafer coming that Emmy nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think that we’re looking at a really solid lineup in directing for a limited series of I May Destroy You, Mare of Easttown, Small Axe, The Queen’s Gambit, The Underground Railroad and WandaVision.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I think that we’re looking at a really solid lineup in directing for a limited series of I May Destroy You, Mare of Easttown, Small Axe, The Queen’s Gambit, The Underground Railroad and WandaVision.

Our top six for series as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whomever predicts Writing for a Limited Series correctly though, well they deserve to win an Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Updated these post the premieres of Halston, The Underground Railroad, Girls5Eva and Hacks. Directing for a Comedy Series 1. Susanna Fogel, The Flight Attendant (“In Case of Emergency”) 2. MJ Delaney, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”) 3. Zach Braff, Ted Lasso (“Biscuits”) 4. Fred Savage, The Conners (“Friends in High Places and Horse Surgery”) 5. Aziz Ansari, Master of None 6. Lucia Aniello, Hacks (“There is No Line”) 7. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“Finale”) 8. Josh Heald, Cobra Kai (“December 19”) 9. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”) 10. Sam Zvibleman, Pen15 (“Opening Night”) Directing for a Drama Series 1. Benjamin Caron, The Crown (“Fairytale”) 2. Jessica Hobbs, The Crown (“War”) 3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 9 : The Marshal”) 4. Julie Anne Robinson, Bridgerton (“Diamond of the First Water”) 5. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Jedi”) 6. Tom Verica, Bridgerton (“Shock and Delight”) 7. Bryce Dallas Howard, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 11 : The Heiress”) 8. Kari Skogland, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (“New World Order”) 9. Tim Van Patten, Perry Mason (“Pilot”) 10. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Believer”) Directing for a Limited Series, Anthology, Dramatic Special or Movie Made for Television 1. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit 2. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad 3. Steve McQueen, Small Axe 4. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”) 5. Matt Shakman, WandaVision 6. Susanne Bier, The Undoing 7. Craig Zobel, Mare of Easttown 8. Daniel Minahan, Halston 9. Peter Hoar, It’s a Sin 10. Albert Hughes, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”) Writing for a Comedy Series 1. Jason Sudeikis, Joe Kelly and Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso (“Make Rebecca Great Again”) 2. Bill Lawrence, Jason Sudeikis, Brendan Hunt and Joe Kelly, Ted Lasso (“Pilot”) 3. Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly and Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”) 4. Anna Konkle, Pen15 (“Vendy Wiccany”) 5. Maya Erskine, Pen15 (“Play”) 6. Aziz Ansari and Lena Waithe, Master of None 7. Lucia Aniello & Paul W. Downs & Jen Statsky, Hacks (“There is No Line”) 8. Meredith Scardino, Girls5Eva (“Pilot”) 9. Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers, Search Party (“The Girl in the Basement”) 10. Chuck Lorre, The Kominsky Method (“In All The Old Familiar Places”) Writing for a Drama Series 1. Peter Morgan, The Crown (“Fairytale”) 2. Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 13 : The Jedi”) 3. Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 16 : The Rescue”) 4. Rick Famuyiwa, The Mandalorian (“Chapter 15 : The Believer”) 5. Eric Kripke, The Boys (“The Big Ride”) 6. Rebecca Sonnenshine, The Boys (“What I Know”) 7. Craig Rosenberg, The Boys (“Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men”) 8. Lucy Prebble, I Hate Suzie (“Acceptance”) 9. Steven Canals, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, Pose (“Finale”) 10. Sam Levinson, Euphoria (“Trouble Don’t Last Always”) Writing for a Limited Series, Anthology, Dramatic Special or Movie Made for Television 1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You 2. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit 3. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad 4. Russell T. Davies, It’s a Sin 5. Steve McQueen and Alistair Siddons, Small Axe (“Mangrove”) 6. Jac Schaeffer, WandaVision (“Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience”) 7. Brad Ingelsby, Mare of Easttown 8. Mark Richard and Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”) 9. Ian Brennan, Ryan Murphy and Sharr White, Halston (“The Party’s Over”) 10. J.T. Rogers, Oslo

Ok, seriously, why do people keep predicting The Mandalorian getting 3-4 Best Directing nominations and none of them being for The Rescue, which is the most acclaimed episode of the show, the most talked about episode of tv of the year, is directed by a decently big name, and is the buzzy season finale?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Not sure if this means anything for his/the show’s chance bu Dave Filoni was just named Executive Creative Director of LucasFilm

https://www.lucasfilm.com/leadership/dave-filoni/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I predict we will get some of the biggest “WTF?” nominations in the Drama Writing & Directing categories.

Outside of The Crown, I think no drama series is considered safe for a nomination in either category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

I think For All Mankind can surprise in both Directing and Writing

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.