Home Forums Television Writing & Directing 2019

Writing & Directing 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 266 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
Rachel
Luca Giliberti
  • Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Again, writing is not only dialogue. The Long Night would have been an incredible submission had they actually given us the battle (story-wise) that we’d been waiting for for so many years. A lot of action doesn’t lessen or facilitate a writer’s job; he/she still has to tell a specific story with a battle, has to structure it, and make sure it’s well-paced.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Dialogue or no dialogue, A Knight of The Seven Kingdoms gave the audience a last in-depth look of the characters and was written beautifully as a goodbye note from Cogman. But Luca, I do agree that battle based episodes have to be structured correctly. I.E. Battle of the Bastards, Battle of Blackwater, Hardhome.  Battle of Blackwater was definitely one of their best-written episodes and didn’t even get a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that D&D didn’t even submit THEIR best episode of the season just proves how out of touch they are with audience perception.

Is not with the audience that they have to be in touch but with the industry, Emmy-wise that is.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Is not with the audience that they have to be in touch but with the industry, Emmy-wise that is.

I feel like Emmy voters, many of them, are fans of the show. Especially after they won last year. But I see what you are saying.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I liked whoever predicted YOU for a Writing nomination. Thinking outside the box… and it could happen! Super popular series (ever since it transferred over to Netflix). It could happen for Lifetime in the same way that UnReal was able to score a nom in that category.

Are there any other out-of-left-field contenders that could surprise with a writing nom?

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope RAMY gets into writing. They submitted two great episodes.

ReplyCopy URL
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Emmy voters, many of them, are fans of the show. Especially after they won last year. But I see what you are saying.

There is a difference though between somebody sitting on his laptop signing petitions to people who’ve done television and it’s their profession and know what was involved in creating such a season. I really hope they’ll pull through

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Writing in a Comedy:

1. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    2. Veep
    3. Fleabag
    4. Barry
    5. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    6. The Kominsky Method

Directing in a Comedy:

1. Veep
    2. The Big Bang theory
    3. Barry
    4. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    5. Veep
    6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Globes FYC- Fleabag, Phoebe Waller Bridge, Jodie Comer, Dame Emma Thompson, The Crown

SAG FYC- The Crown, Olivia Colman, Fleabag, PWB

Critics Choice- Schitts Creek, Fleabag, Killing Eve, Bodyguard

BAFTA- Fleabag, Killing Eve

Oscars FYC ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Maggie Smith’

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why I’m predicting Maniac and Hill House for both directing and writing without limited series, but my gut just isn’t able to take either out. I think that Maniac will pull a Twin Peaks, and every day I get closer to predicting Hill House for limited series… Also, yeah, I’m predicting GLOW for a writing nom that probably won’t happen, let me keep my bias for one nomination in one category and move on.

COMEDY DIRECTING
    Barry – “The Audition” (Alec Berg)
    Barry – “ronny/lily” (Bill Hader)
    The Big Bang Theory – “The Stockholm Syndrome” (Mark Cendrowski)
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “All Alone” (Amy Sherman-Palladino)
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “We’re Going to the Catskills!” (Daniel Palladino)
    Veep – “Veep” (David Mandel)

DRAMA DIRECTING
    Game of Thrones – “The Last of the Starks” (David Nutter)
    Game of Thrones – “The Long Night” (Miguel Sapochnik)
    The Handmaid’s Tale – “Holly” (Daina Reid)
    Homecoming – “Protocol” (Sam Esmail)
    Ozark – “Reparations” (Jason Bateman)
    Succession – “Celebration” (Adam McKay)

LIMITED DIRECTING
    Chernobyl (Johan Renck)
    Escape at Dannemora (Ben Stiller)
    The Haunting of Hill House (Mike Flanagan)
    Maniac (Cary Joji Fukunaga)
    Sharp Objects (Jean-Marc Vallée)
    When They See Us (Ava DuVernay)

COMEDY WRITING
    Barry – “ronny/lily”
    Fleabag – “Episode 1″
    GLOW – “Nothing Shattered”
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “Midnight at the Concord”
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “Vote for Kennedy, Vote for Kennedy”
    Veep – “Veep”

DRAMA WRITING
    The Handmaid’s Tale – “Holly”
    Homecoming – “Stop”
    Killing Eve – “Nice and Neat”
    Pose – “Pilot”
    Sex Education – “Episode 1″
    Succession – “Nobody Is Ever Missing”

LIMITED WRITING
    Chernobyl
    Fosse/Verdon – “Providence”
    The Haunting of Hill House – “The Bent-Neck Lady”
    Maniac – “Utangatta”
    Sharp Objects – “Milk”
    When They See Us – “Part Four”

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Oh god, people are getting my hopes up with Hill House in writing & directing predictions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why I’m predicting Maniac and Hill House for both directing and writing without limited series, but my gut just isn’t able to take either out. I think that Maniac will pull a Twin Peaks, and every day I get closer to predicting Hill House for limited series… Also, yeah, I’m predicting GLOW for a writing nom that probably won’t happen, let me keep my bias for one nomination in one category and move on. COMEDY DIRECTING Barry – “The Audition” (Alec Berg) Barry – “ronny/lily” (Bill Hader) The Big Bang Theory – “The Stockholm Syndrome” (Mark Cendrowski) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “All Alone” (Amy Sherman-Palladino) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “We’re Going to the Catskills!” (Daniel Palladino) Veep – “Veep” (David Mandel) DRAMA DIRECTING Game of Thrones – “The Last of the Starks” (David Nutter) Game of Thrones – “The Long Night” (Miguel Sapochnik) The Handmaid’s Tale – “Holly” (Daina Reid) Homecoming – “Protocol” (Sam Esmail) Ozark – “Reparations” (Jason Bateman) Succession – “Celebration” (Adam McKay) LIMITED DIRECTING Chernobyl (Johan Renck) Escape at Dannemora (Ben Stiller) The Haunting of Hill House (Mike Flanagan) Maniac (Cary Joji Fukunaga) Sharp Objects (Jean-Marc Vallée) When They See Us (Ava DuVernay) COMEDY WRITING Barry – “ronny/lily” Fleabag – “Episode 1″ GLOW – “Nothing Shattered” The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “Midnight at the Concord” The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – “Vote for Kennedy, Vote for Kennedy” Veep – “Veep” DRAMA WRITING The Handmaid’s Tale – “Holly” Homecoming – “Stop” Killing Eve – “Nice and Neat” Pose – “Pilot” Sex Education – “Episode 1″ Succession – “Nobody Is Ever Missing” LIMITED WRITING Chernobyl Fosse/Verdon – “Providence” The Haunting of Hill House – “The Bent-Neck Lady” Maniac – “Utangatta” Sharp Objects – “Milk” When They See Us – “Part Four”

Haunting of Hill House SHOULD get a directing nomination though. Two Storms was one of the best-directed episodes of anything I’ve seen in a while.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Haunting Of Hill House getting directing, writing and series nominations would be amazing.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

The Haunting of Hill House did generate quite a buzz and viewership when it first aired. Don’t get me wrong but it is certainly not one of those obscure shows which we have been unintentionally labelling it. If it had been competing as a limited series back at the guilds season it would perform on par with Sharp Objects and Escape at Dannemora. Netflix did not anticipate that it would be an awards contender prior to its airing, therefore it was not even included in the batch of  screeners it has sent for SAG voters (same applies for Bodyguard). In my opinion, Reaser, Siegel, and even Pedretti with her limited screen time are far more deserving than Farmiga and other filler/name-check contenders like her that is currently occupying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

The Haunting of Hill House did generate quite a buzz and viewership when it first aired. Don’t get me wrong but it is certainly not one of those obscure shows which we have been unintentionally labelling it. If it had been competing as a limited series back at the guilds season it would perform on par with Sharp Objects and Escape at Dannemora. Netflix did not anticipate that it would be an awards contender prior to its airing, therefore it was not even included in the batch of screeners it has sent for SAG voters (same applies for Bodyguard). In my opinion, Reaser, Siegel, and even Pedretti with her limited screen time are far more deserving than Farmiga and other filler/name-check contenders like her that is currently occupying.

Victoria Pedretti deserves all the awards for her performance. She was the heart of the show.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 266 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.