Home Forums Television Writing & Directing 2019

Writing & Directing 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 169 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
Riley
Rachel
Luca Giliberti
  • Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t understand why and how Netflix couldn’t handle better all the buzz generated by The Haunting of Hill House and The Disappearance of Madeline McCann and turn it into a more successful award story. Both of those shows are extremely well done.

FYC: Drama Series: Game of Thrones, Succession, Bodyguard. Drama Lead Actress: Emilia Clarke, Drama Lead Actor: Richard Madden, Jeremy Strong. Limited Series: Chernobyl

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

There is a difference though between somebody sitting on his laptop signing petitions to people who’ve done television and it’s their profession and know what was involved in creating such a season.

But there are people who work in the industry who have called it out and that is despite there being pressure not to speak out against a fellow industry project.

I don’t really believe in Succession getting a writing nomination.

Succession is the biggest lock for a nomination in the drama writing category. (And even if it is not, how is You ahead of it?)

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

COMEDY DIRECTING

1)The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – We’re Going to the Catskills! ( I refuse to not predict this episode for the win)
    2) Barry – ronny/lily
    3) Veep – Veep
    4)Barry – The Audition
    5) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – All Alone
    6) The Big Bang Theory – The Stockholm Syndrome

COMEDY WRITING

1) Veep – Veep
    2) Barry – ronny/lily
    3) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Midnight at the Concord
    4) Fleabag – Episode 1
    5) The Good Place – Janet(s)
    6) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Vote for Kennedy, Vote for Kennedy

I don’t get the point of submitting multiple episodes if you aren’t The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Veep of Barry. The Good Place and Russian Doll should have kept it to one episode, especially since they probably know they’re not strong enough to get 2 noms in writing or directing.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Succession is the biggest lock for a nomination in the drama writing category.

Why, though?

(And even if it is not, how is You ahead of it?)

Lack of contenders, and it being at the end of the ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Riley wrote:
    Succession is the biggest lock for a nomination in the drama writing category.

Why, though?

Riley wrote:
    (And even if it is not, how is You ahead of it?)

Lack of contenders, and it being at the end of the ballot.

1. Succession was the ONLY new drama that the Writers Guild nominated alongside the four most acclaimed dramas in the last years and huge favorites of them – The Crown, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Americans and Better Call Saul.
    2. There is no lack of contenders.
    3. The order in the ballot has never been proof to be important or relevant, it is just a speculation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are we talking about You for writing? Seriously? Being last on the writing ballot doesn’t mean anything.

ReplyCopy URL
    LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

Succession was the ONLY new drama that the Writers Guild nominated.

This. I haven’t even seen Succession yet but there is no denying that the support from the industry is there.

While we can’t know yet how the Academy will take to Bodyguard, Netflix very smartly bet everything on the excellent pilot with one of the best and most praised opening sequences ever. Also, the British block (and those who are a fan of British TV) will be familiar with Jed Mercurio.

I honestly can’t see any other serious contenders for Drama Writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

COMEDY DIRECTING

1) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – We’re Going to the Catskills! (either Veep or Maisel gets directing and either Maisel, Veep or Fleabag gets writing. I think Maisel gets the former and Veep the latter)
    2) Veep – Veep
    3) Barry – ronny/lily
    4)Barry – The Audition
    5) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – All Alone
    6) The Big Bang Theory – The Stockholm Syndrome

COMEDY WRITING

1) Veep – Veep
    2) Fleabag – Episode 1
    3) Barry – ronny/lily
    4) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Midnight at the Concord
    5) The Good Place – Janet(s)
    6) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Vote for Kennedy, Vote for Kennedy

DRAMA WRITING

1. Succession – Nobody is Ever Missing
    2. Bodyguard – Episode 1 (Jed Mercurio)
    3. Killing Eve – Nice and Neat (Emerald Fennel)
    4. The Handmaid’s Tale – Holly (Bruce Miller)
    5. Pose – Pilot (Ryan Murphy)
    6. Doctor Who – Rosa (Chris Chibnall and Malorie Blackman)

DRAMA DIRECTING

1. Succession – Celebration (Adam McKay)
    2. Game of Thrones – The Long Night (Miguel Sapochnik)
    3. Bodyguard – Episode 1 (Thomas Vincent)
    4. Game of Thrones – The Last of the Starks (David Nutter)
    5. The Handmaid’s Tale – Holly (Daina Reid)
    6. Ozark – Reparations (Jason Bateman)

LIMITED WRITING

1. A Very English Scandal
    2. Black Mirror : Bandersnatch 
    3. Chernobyl
    4. Maniac – Uttangata
    5. When They See Us
    6. Sharp Objects

LIMITED DIRECTING

1. When They See Us (Ava DuVernay)
    2. Chernobyl (Johann Renck)
    3. Escape at Dannemora (Ben Stiller)
    4. Maniac (Cary Joji Fukunaga)
    5. A Very English Scandal (Stephen Frears)
    6. Sharp Objects (Jean Marc Vallée)

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Michael Sheen ("The Good Fight") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Keeley Hawes ("Bodyguard") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "The Good Fight" and "Killing Eve" in all eligible categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Succession was the ONLY new drama that the Writers Guild nominated alongside the four most acclaimed dramas in the last years and huge favorites of them – The Crown, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Americans and Better Call Saul.

Lol, seriously? You just posted about how others were being delusional. THT doesn’t deserve to be grouped with those shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Ivo Stoyanov wrote:
    Succession was the ONLY new drama that the Writers Guild nominated alongside the four most acclaimed dramas in the last years and huge favorites of them – The Crown, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Americans and Better Call Saul.

Lol, seriously? You just posted about how others were being delusional. THT doesn’t deserve to be grouped with those shows.

The Writers Guild beg to differ since they awarded The Handmaid’s Tale as Best Drama, but they never awarded GoT and they never will. All the delusion is coming from you, THT deserves very single praise that has received.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Why, though?

Succession got WGA Drama Series for its Emmy-eligible season and it only submitted one episode, so there is no reason to think that it will miss. Every other contender has a degree of uncertainty. For example, Bodyguard missed writing at BAFTA and was ineligible at WGA, so we do not know whether it would have been nominated or not.

With viewing increasingly fractured, we have seen SAG nominate fewer shows and the same few shows clog comedy writing and directing. I am now very intrigued by the prospect of drama directing being double Game of Thrones versus double Ozark versus double Succession, which is what I expect the lineup to be if Bodyguard flops.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carson Zhang
    Participant
    Topics:

The Directing submissions for Game of Thrones are all pretty bad.

David Nutter didn’t choose Winterfell or A Knight of The Seven Kingdoms, two episodes everyone was pretty okay with. Instead he picked The Last of The Starks, where the show hit rock bottom and made UUU look like Hardhome.

Miguel Sapochnik picked The Long Night, which was super anti-climactic because D&D didn’t let him kill a lot of people and it became awfully apparent in several scenes with Sam, Jon, Jaime, Dany, etc. As much as I don’t like The Bells, his work on that episode was absolutely stunning.

Meanwhile, D&D directed the finale, which managed to end the series without tying together a single story line satisfyingly. That was also their Writing submission, which is just terrible. The dialogue in Season 8 is just horrendous; it was only a cut above Riverdale in several instances, and none of the plotting made any sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

The Directing submissions for Game of Thrones are all pretty bad. David Nutter didn’t choose Winterfell or A Knight of The Seven Kingdoms, two episodes everyone was pretty okay with. Instead he picked The Last of The Starks, where the show hit rock bottom and made UUU look like Hardhome. Miguel Sapochnik picked The Long Night, which was super anti-climactic because D&D didn’t let him kill a lot of people and it became awfully apparent in several scenes with Sam, Jon, Jaime, Dany, etc. As much as I don’t like The Bells, his work on that episode was absolutely stunning. Meanwhile, D&D directed the finale, which managed to end the series without tying together a single story line satisfyingly. That was also their Writing submission, which is just terrible. The dialogue in Season 8 is just horrendous; it was only a cut above Riverdale in several instances, and none of the plotting made any sense.

Fabian Wagner submitting The Long Night over The Bells for cinematography still baffels me.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

The answer to why he submitted The Long Night instead of The Bells is easy: it’s not nearly as controversial. People can make arguments for why the latter is better in direction, effects, etc., but it was one of the worst reviewed of the series. So, I don’t know why his submission was bad, it was a good strategy and still great direction. TB, in my opinion, could’ve lost him the directing award. I can’t speak for the other directing submissions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Unfortunately, I’m not able to follow this year’s race as passionately as before, but I finally went through the drama and writing ballots and here are my predictions.

Drama Directing

01 GAME OF THRONES, D.B. Weiss & David Benioff “The Iron Throne”
    02 OZARK, Jason Bateman “Reparations”
    03 SUCCESSION, Adam McKay “Celebration”
    04 GAME OF THRONES, Miguel Sapochnik “The Long Night”
    05 THE HANDMAID’S TALE, Mike Barker “The Word”
    06 POSE, Ryan Murphy “Pilot”
    07 BETTER CALL SAUL, Vince Gilligan “Wiedersehen”
    08 GAME OF THRONES, David Nutter “The Last of the Starks”
    09 HOMECOMING, Sam Esmail “Protocol”
    10 THE HANDMAID’S TALE, Daina Reid “Holly”

Drama Writing

01 GAME OF THRONES, D.B. Weiss & David Benioff “The Iron Throne”
    02 SUCCESSION, Jesse Armstrong “Nobody Is Ever Missing”
    03 BETTER CALL SAUL, Peter Gould & Thomas Schnauz “Winner”
    04 THE HANDMAID’S TALE, Bruce Miller & Kira Snyder “Holly”
    05 OZARK, Chris Mundy “The Gold Coast”
    06 POSE, Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk & Steven Canals “Pilot”
    07 BETTER CALL SAUL, Gennifer Hutchinson “Wiedersehen”
    08 HOMECOMING, Eli Horowitz & Micah Bloomberg “Stop”

Comedy Directing

01 THE BIG BANG THEORY, Mark Cendrowski “The Stockholm Syndrome”
    02 THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, Amy-Sherman Palladino “All Alone”
    03 VEEP, David Mandel “Veep”
    04 BARRY, Bill Hader “ronny/lilly”
    05 BARRY, Alec Berg “The Audition”
    06 THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, Daniel Palladino “We’re Going to the Catskills!”
    07 VEEP, Dale Stern “Discovery Weekend”

Comedy Writing

01 VEEP, David Mandel “Veep”
    02 THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, Amy-Sherman Palladino “Midnight at the Concord”
    03 BARRY, Alec Berg & Bill Hader “ronny/lilly”
    04 THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, Daniel Palladino “Vote for Kennedy, Vote for Kennedy!”
    05 FLEABAG, Phoebe-Waller Bridge “Episode 1”
    06 RAMY, Ramy Youssef “Strawberries”
    07 CATASTROPHE, Rob Delaney & Sharon Horgan “Episode 6”

Drama Writing looks like the weakest one, bound to have a surprise. I’m feeling the most confident in Comedy Writing. Don’t pay too much attention to the order of certain nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.