Home Forums Television Writing & Directing 2019

Writing & Directing 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 266 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
Rachel
Luca Giliberti
  • Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Any chance the Russian Doll nominees (and how in the living fvck did they get TWO nominations in writing?) cancel each other out, while Veep, Barry and Fleabag split their votes allowing Janet(s) to waltz through with the surprise win?

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Sorry, your picture ridiculing my question didn’t take on my screen. And I reiterate if you can’t actually type words in reply instead of doing immature things like posting pics, it only reflects badly on YOU.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Any chance the Russian Doll nominees (and how in the living fvck did they get TWO nominations in writing?) cancel each other out, while Veep, Barry and Fleabag split their votes allowing Janet(s) to waltz through with the surprise win? I don’t consider Peni5 anything but a throwaway nomination. If anything, Pandemonium should’ve been the other GP nominee.

No.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Sorry, your picture ridiculing my question didn’t take on my screen.

Sorry, fixed link.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

How exactly would Veep, Fleabag and Barry split votes? I’m not sure you know what that means.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It is bad enough that Experts Eric Deggans (NPR), Chris Harnick (E!) Robert Rorke (NY Post) and Anne Thompson (IndieWire) are doing this, but I am personally offended that my fellow Editors Chris, Marcus, Paul and Susan have Adam McKay ranked last after upsetting at DGA. At least put him sixth!

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Game of Thrones is fully sweeping, so “The Long Night” and “The Iron Throne” are winning Drama Directing and Drama Writing respectively. If, if there is to be an alternative it’s going to be Succession in both cases.

I can see GoT winning writing just as a middle finger to the internet from the Academy. I think I said this to Pulp already. I actually may have it in second place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see GoT winning writing just as a middle finger to the internet from the Academy. I think I said this to Pulp already. I actually may have it in second place.

I think writing will be its easiest win of the night besides drama series. It’s basically the same situation, no vote splitting, and no clear alternative.

ReplyCopy URL
    hats-off
    Participant
    Topics:

My gut is telling me Ronny/Lilly and The Handmaids Tale for directing and fleabag and The Handmaids take for writing.

I can’t see the Iron throne winning writing. This is the branch that rewarded START over Game of thrones last year. However this is also the branch that dished it to both Mothers Mercy and Battle of the Bastards so I guess GoT could sweep

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

It is bad enough that Experts Eric Deggans (NPR), Chris Harnick (E!) Robert Rorke (NY Post) and Anne Thompson (IndieWire) are doing this, but I am personally offended that my fellow Editors Chris, Marcus, Paul and Susan have Adam McKay ranked last after upsetting at DGA. At least put him sixth!

The only reason why McKay won DGA was because he was going to lose badly to Alfonso Cuaron for the main categoría at the DGA

FYC: Drama Series: Game of Thrones, Comedy Series: Barry, Limited Series: Chernobyl, Drama Lead Actor: Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul), Drama Lead Actress: Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), Drama Directing: Miguel Sapochnik for The Long Night (Game of Thrones), Drama Writing: Jed Mercurio for Episode 1 (Bodyguard)

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

I managed to get 72/1 odds on him. I’m predicting him for the win for that alone. Plus the DGA win and the Fincher/Scorsese years have me thinking he could actually do it.

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

My gut is telling me Ronny/Lilly and The Handmaids Tale for directing and fleabag and The Handmaids take for writing.

Whew, what a great concept!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think that people are predicting series/writing/directing splits too liberally. There are certainly circumstances in which they can happen (ironically like when I was one of the few to predict a three-way split in drama last year) and our drama situation this year might qualify as unusual, but the default prediction should just be a sweep. I said this last year when the odds incorrectly favoured a split between Atlanta and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in writing and directing and also two years ago when the odds favoured The Handmaid’s Tale to win writing and directing, but lose series. Singular achievements are being overvalued at the expense of sheep mentality.

Veep and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel lead the comedy series odds, but Fleabag is predicted for writing and Barry is predicted for directing. I am simply predicting Barry just to take all three. People say that “ronny/lily” is more of a directing achievement and that is why it will lose writing. The Emmy voters do not care about that, nor can they really. Writers do not vote for directing and directors do not vote for writing. They only get to vote where they get to vote, so they cannot account for whether other branches will do their parts to spread the wealth.

“Battle of the Bastards” was more of a directing achievement, but it beat the Mr. Robot pilot for writing. The episode the year before that is infamous for its “bad pussy” Dorne line beat the Mad Men finale in writing. And if you are not predicting Barry, do not predict “ronny/lily”. We saw what happened to “Teddy Perkins”. The writers go their own way sometimes, like with The Americans and Black Mirror, but the directing splits can be traced back to vote-splitting. It is possible that Fleabag is one of those writer shows, but directing and series should match as a rule.

The same goes for limited series. We might be unsure about whether the voters will go for Chernobyl or When They See Us, but I expect that the voters will come to a decision. Like with Big Little Lies versus The Night Of, voters are obviously very fond of both of them, but they ultimately like one more and without a wildcard like Deadwood in writing, we will revert to a limited series/writing/directing sweep like Olive Kitteridge achieved.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I managed to get 72/1 odds on him. I’m predicting him for the win for that alone. Plus the DGA win and the Fincher/Scorsese years have me thinking he could actually do it.

I was able to get him at 1/100 odds and that is why I’m never going to change that prediction, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

As for Adam McKay, we mustn’t forget he perhaps won an Oscar for a big film, but he is really not in the same caliber as Scorsese or Fincher, so I don’t think it’s much of an indication. They are practically legends in the industry. His Oscar was also for writing if I remember correctly. His DGA win might be of indication, though.

I know it will probably be disregarded as GoT fanboy talk but I will find a win from him over Sapochnik this year very anticlimatic and frankly undeserving. With all the Emmys GoT might or might not win this year, this one is 100% on merit alone. I even think this fact might get Sapochnik over the three way vote splitting, which is normally an impossible situation.But I can totally see McKay winning, I have him in 2nd.

FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, Miguel Sapochnik (“Game of Thrones”) for Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 266 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.