Home Forums Theater 2017-18 Season Rumors and Announcements

2017-18 Season Rumors and Announcements

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Alex Meyer
adamunc
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Starting next year, the Tony Awards will be reinstating the sound categories…
    http://www.broadway.com/buzz/188370/tony-awards-to-reinstate-sound-design-category-in-2018/

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

Grr…I’m glad it’s back, but Hamilton would have tied The Producers’ record if it hadn’t been removed in the first place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Moore will make his Broadway debut in a one-man work, The Terms of My Surrender, directed by Michael Mayer. A 12-week engagement with an official opening on August 10, 2017. At the Belasco.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Following Sunset Boulevard, Michael Xavier will join the cast of Prince Of Broadway. http://www.broadway.com/buzz/188445/sunset-boulevard-star-michael-xavier-joins-prince-of-broadway/

Also, Cate Blanchett will star as Margo Channing in a London stage of adaptation of All About Eve, directed by Ivo Van Hove. The production will open sometime in the spring of 2018. http://www.broadway.com/buzz/188438/cate-blanchett-will-star-in-ivo-van-hoves-all-about-eve/

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Glenda Jackson and Laurie Metcalf to Return to Broadway in THREE TALL WOMEN Spring 2018

Producer Scott Rudin today announced that two-time Academy Award winning actress Glenda Jackson and three-time Emmy Award winner and 2017 Tony Award nominee Laurie Metcalf will star in the Broadway premiere of Edward Albee’s Pulitzer Prize-winning masterpiece Three Tall Women next spring, in a production directed by two-time Tony Award-winner Joe Mantello. Beginning preview performances on Tuesday. February 27, 2018, Three Tall Women will have an official opening night on Thursday, March 29.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I think we have our front runner for Best Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Amazing! If the production is the least bit competent, should be a guaranteed nomination for Jackson, who has been Tony-nominated for every single Broadway appearance thus far.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (1998) – One True Thing

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Shocked The Band’s Visit lost after winning the NY Drama Critics Circle, Outer Critics, and beating Dear Evan Hansen at the Lucille Lortell Awards. Good for Indecent, though.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/ERNEST-SHACKLETON-LOVES-ME-and-INDECENT-Top-2017-Off-Broadway-Alliance-Awards-Winners-Announced-20170516

ERNEST SHACKLETON LOVES ME and INDECENT Top 2017 Off Broadway Alliance Awards; Winners Announced!

by BWW News Desk May. 16, 2017

The Off Broadway Alliance, the organization of Off Broadway producers, theaters, general managers, press agents, and marketing professionals, today announced the winners of the 7th Annual Off Broadway Alliance Awards, honoring commercial and not-for-profit Off Broadway productions that opened during the 2016-2017 season.

2017 Off Broadway Alliance Award Winners:

Best New Musical

THE BAND’S VISIT
    * ERNEST SHACKLETON LOVES ME
    HADESTOWN
    OTHELLO: THE REMIX
    THE VIEW UPSTAIRS

Best New Play

CHURCH AND STATE
    DANIEL’S HUSBAND
    * INDECENT
    SKELETON CREW
    SMALL MOUTH SOUNDS
    THE WOLVES

Best Musical Revival

FINIAN’S RAINBOW
    THE GOLDEN BRIDE
    PACIFIC OVERTURES
    * SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET
    SWEET CHARITY

Best Play Revival

THE DEATH OF THE LAST BLACK MAN IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD AKA THE NEGRO BOOK OF THE DEAD
    * THE EMPEROR JONES
    THE HAIRY APE
    OTHELLO
    PICNIC

Best Unique Theatrical Experience

HER OPPONENT
    PUFFS
    * SPAMILTON
    TAYLOR MAC – A 24-DECADE HISTORY OF POPULAR MUSIC
    VANITY FAIR

Best Solo Performance

Chris Gethard, CAREER SUICIDE
    Marin Ireland, ON THE EXHALE
    Sarah Jones, SELL/BUY/DATE
    * Joe Morton, TURN ME LOOSE
    Anna Deavere Smith, NOTES FROM THE FIELD

Best Family Show

1001 NIGHTS: A LOVE STORY ABOUT Loving STORIES (Atlantic Theater Company)
    * THE COMMEDIA CINDERELLA (Ragtag Theatre Company)
    LOVE THAT DOG (NYC Children’s Theater)
    PIP’S ISLAND
    WONDERLAND: ALICE’S ROCK & ROLL ADVENTURE (Atlantic Theater Company)

Legend of Off Broadway Honorees

Harvey Fierstein
    Athol Fugard
    Israel Horovitz
    Charlotte Moore
    Estelle Parsons
    Paula Vogel

Hall of Fame Award

James Houghton

Some of the past Off Broadway Alliance honorees include HAMILTON, FUN HOME, VANYA AND SONIA AND MASHA AND SPIKE, FREUD’S LAST SESSION, BUYER & CELLAR, SILENCE! THE MUSICAL, Sigourney Weaver, Wallace Shawn, Eli Wallach, Anne Meara, and Terrence McNally.

The Off Broadway Alliance is a non-profit corporation organized by theater professionals dedicated to supporting, promoting and encouraging the production of Off Broadway theater and to making live theater increasingly accessible to new and diverse audiences. The Alliance holds monthly meetings and membership is open to everyone in the Off Broadway theater community.

Among its initiatives, The Off Broadway Alliance sponsors 20at20, the event that runs twice a year for 20 days and lets theatergoers purchase $20 tickets to dozens of Off Broadway shows 20 minutes before curtain. It also produces a free Seminar Series focusing on the culture, business and history of Off Broadway featuring major players from the Off Broadway scene. And the Alliance created the Off Broadway Economic Impact Report, which outlines Off Broadway’s over $500 million annual impact on the economy of the City of New York.

The 2017 Off Broadway Alliance Awards will be presented on Tuesday, June 20th at 4 PM at Sardi’s.

For more information, visit http://www.OffBroadwayAlliance.com.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

A new musical that’s currently running at Berkeley Rep titled Monsoon Wedding is eyeing Broadway, though no timeline has been revealed yet…
    http://www.broadway.com/buzz/188684/berkeley-reps-monsoon-wedding-musical-is-broadway-bound/

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s official, The Band’s Visit will be coming to Broadway this fall…
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Encore-Coming-Soon-THE-BANDS-VISIT-Will-Open-on-Broadway-This-Fall-20170524

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

It looks like it will try the strategy of opening in the fall and showing its strength all the way through to the Tonys. I’m very excited for it in the Fall because all of the buzz will be on Harry Potter in the Spring so I think it’s a smart strategy.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m excited to see it! I have high hopes for it and its star-Katrina Lenk. I think she should’ve been nominated for Indecent as she gives an incendiary performance. I saw her way back in Once and she was amazing. I’m so happy she’s getting these amazing roles. Hoping she’s rewarded with at least a nomination next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    PianoMann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I’m thrilled about this news! I saw it at the Atlantic and absolutely loved it. I’m a big fan of Yazbek (especially his underrated score for Women on the Verge) and I think this one is his best yet. Fingers crossed most of the original cast comes to Broadway, especially Katrina Lenk; she’s easily a Tony nominee next year for this role!

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m planning on seeing this in December. For those who already have, how similar in tone is it to Come From Away? They seem to have similar premises–stranded travelers relying on the hospitality of the locals.

I’ve loved Yazbek’s work in the past.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.