Home Forums Theater 2017-2018 potential Tony nominees for Best Actress in a Play (:

2017-2018 potential Tony nominees for Best Actress in a Play (:

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Alex Meyer
FreemanGriffin
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

So far the list looks like this:

Francesca Annis, The Children
    Laura Benanti, Meteor Shower
    Deborah Findlay, The Children
    Janeane Garafolo, Marvin’s Room
    Glenda Jackson, Three Tall Women
    Elizabeth McGovern, Time and the Conways
    Laurie Metcalf, Three Tall Women
    Allison Pill, Three Tall Women
    Condola Rashad, Saint Joan
    Lauren Ridloff, Children of a Lesser God
    Amy Schumer, Meteor Shower
    Lili Taylor, Marvin’s Room
    Uma Thurman, The Parisian Woman

I think we can eliminate Garafolo, Taylor and Thurman from consideration. So there are ten actresses vying for 5 slots (barring any last minute additions at the end of the season).

I so want great reviews and a Tony award win for Glenda Jackson! (: After all those years as a member of parliament I am so glad she’s back (: I have such happy memories of Myra Carter in the role many years ago – it’s definitely the most memorable of the three roles and the one most likely to win awards imo. Time will tell…

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The first preview has just taken place for Three Tall Women, and early reports say that Glenda Jackson is the one to beat for Lead Actress in a Play.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

If she wins the Tony, she’ll have won the Triple Crown of Acting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

About Three Tall Women, does anybody know which categories the three actresses will be placed in? Are they all in lead or are one or two of them in supporting?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve read some reports thinking Laurie Metcalf could be placed in Featured Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have seen a previous production of Three Tall Women and all 3 women have leading roles; what the committee determining categories decides is another matter. My own view is that Pill’s role is the only one of the three that could at all be moved to Featured Actress.

I want Glenda Jackson to win so much! She was nominated for Marat/Sade (1966), Rose (1981), Strange Interlude (1984) and Macbeth (1988), so it will be her fifth nomination and she has never won. I don’t think she has ever won an Olivier Award either; surprising since she has such a strong reputation for theatre acting. She will complete the triple crown if she wins (she has 2 Oscars and 2 Emmys)

ReplyCopy URL
    MrAmerica
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that it can be annoying when people come on this forum and post bombastic comments like this, but bear with me. Having just seen a preview of ‘Three Tall Women’, it would be truly bizarre if anyone but Glenda were to walk away with the Tony. She will dominate this race with ease.

She is also very clearly the overall lead, though I’m not sure if that is a function of the play, this particular production, or Glenda’s total domination. Metcalf could go Lead or Featured, but I really see Pill in the Featured race.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Jackson didn’t show to pick up either of her Oscars; wonder if she would deign to attend the Tonys? (She did get her Olivier in person.) Of course, her contract could stipulate certain appearances, but the show is only on sale through June 24, just a couple of weeks after the Tonys. I’m not sure what the possibility of an extension is.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Well, for what it’s worth, Katharine Hepburn, who never attended the Oscars on any of her nominations, attended the 1970 Tonys when she was nominated for Coco.

COMING SOON to The Awards Connection: The 100 Greatest Oscar-Nominated Performances

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think it may be too soon to celebrate a Jackson victory. Next month three time Tony nominee Condola Rashad opens in Saint Joan. While no actress has landed a Tony nod in the multiple Broadway revivals of this piece, Rashad is quite popular in the community. We may well see Jackson’s vocal indifference to awards backfire if Rashad wins great reviews.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Such a weak category. Sad.

Jackson, Rashad are problably very likely.

The other slots I’m going with Ridloff, Taylor and… Thurman?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Elizabeth McGovern? Amy Schumer?

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I would think Thurman, especially on the heels of her comments on Harvey Weinstein, makes the cut. The award will be Jackson’s to lose, though.

COMING SOON to The Awards Connection: The 100 Greatest Oscar-Nominated Performances

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

Since Glenda Jackson is gonna have to do a matinee on that day anyway, hopefully she will be attending. She attended when she was nominated for Macbeth in 1988.

Regarding Laurie Metcalf, if her role could go both ways, I think she will be placed as a lead actress in the end, especially since her status has grown bigger as of late (Lead Actress Tony winner, Oscar nom). But if she is placed in Featured Actress, could she give Denise Gough a run for her money? Maybe just a little bit?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Has the Tony nominating Committee ruled already on The Children? I don’t get why Francesca Annis and Deborah Findlay are in the Featured Actress category in the predictions center? I expect Annis to be nominated for Lead Actress. If she winds up in Featured then that will change that category. Personally I think these are the five actresses who will be nominated:

Francesca Annis, The Children
    Glenda Jackson, Three Tall Women (winner)
    Laurie Metcalf, Three Tall Women
    Condola Rashad, Saint Joan
    Lauren Ridloff, Children of a Lesser God

If Annis is in Featured, then Amy Schumer would take her slot for Meteor Shower

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.