Home Forums Theater 2018-19 PRODUCTIONS

2018-19 PRODUCTIONS

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 571 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Alex Meyer
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Just read through the reviews of The Cher Show. Mostly horrible reviews, especially The New York Times. I honestly think it’s only chance at a nomination would be for Stephanie J Block, who is getting the only good reviews, but she will not win the Tony for this performance. All of the reviews remarked on its similarity (and similar failure) to the Donna Summer musical from late last season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Bob Mackie could also have a shot at a Best Costume Design nomination. Though I do agree that while Stephanie J. Block has a good shot at a nomination, a win may be even harder. The last time a show that wasn’t nominated for Best Musical took an acting prize at the Tonys was Heather Headley for Aida back in 2000 (though Katie Finneran did win for the unnominated revival of Promises, Promises in 2010). Not to mention that The Cher Show would really have to overcome the whole industry bias against commodity musicals.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I wonder if it’ll even still be running by the Tonys? I can’t fathom it sustaining 90%+ attendance after crummy reviews.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

If you ask me, I think The Cher Show for now will be critic proof.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it will run until at least the Tonys. If it underperforms in the Tony nominations, then I think it will probably close sooner rather than later.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

But I think for something like The Cher Show, it won’t matter what the critics say, because audiences who are huge fans of Cher will still flock to see it. After all, it especially already seems evident by the fact that it’s already been grossing over $1,000,000 a week.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Bob Mackie I think will definitely win for the costumes. The only other nom will be for Stephanie J. Block. It will probably do well at the box office for a while and then close in a year like Motown.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Network has opened on Broadway, and while critics were mixed on the production as a whole, Bryan Cranston received universal acclaim for his performance as Howard Beale.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-What-Did-Critics-Think-Of-Bryan-Cranston-In-NETWORK-On-Broadway-20181206

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Cranston seems well on his way to a second Tony.

After reading Brantley’s review, I can’t discern what a NYT Critic’s Pick means any more.

Adam Feldman’s review nailed it.

Predicted Tony noms:
    Play (barely)
    Actor
    Scene Design
    Lighting Design
    Sound Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw Network in previews and Cranston is incredible, helped by the fact that is part is just so much bigger than anyone else’s which is not true in the movie. I was actually shockingly disappointed in Tatiana Maslany. She didn’t bring much to the role (she also wasn’t in it that much) and some of her line deliveries seemed off.

The show isn’t amazing. The set and camerawork are interesting but the main attraction is of course Cranston. He’s definitely winning the Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if the uproarious acclaim for The Ferryman will make Best Actor a close race or will Cranston easily take it? I loved the movie Network, but I’m still on the fence about seeing the play since it wasn’t that well received (other than Cranston of course).

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Casting has been announced for the U.K. premiere of Cost Of Living, which will run at the Hampstead Theatre from January 25-March 2. http://www.playbill.com/article/adrian-lester-will-join-katy-sullivan-in-london-debut-of-pulitzer-prize-winning-cost-of-living

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Casting has been announced for the Donmar Warehouse production of Berberian Sound Studio, adapted from the 2012 film of the same name. The show will run from February 8-March 30. http://www.playbill.com/article/cast-set-for-londons-berberian-sound-studio

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if the uproarious acclaim for The Ferryman will make Best Actor a close race or will Cranston easily take it?.

Network is currently scheduled to end its limited run on March 17th while The Ferryman has been extended through the middle of the summer. If the latter play does really well on Tony night, it would not surprise me if Paddy Considine ends up winning Best Actor. Though on paper, that category is looking pretty stacked right now with other potential candidates like Jeff Daniels, Adam Driver, Ethan Hawke, Nathan Lane, Tracy Letts, John Lithgow, Michael Urie, etc.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Considine is great, but he’s very much part of an ensemble and is offstage for long periods of time. Cranston is the centerpiece and nails one monster scene after another.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 571 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.