Home Forums Theater 2018 Grammy Award For Best Musical Theater Album

2018 Grammy Award For Best Musical Theater Album

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Alex Meyer
adamunc
  • Kyle Bailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Wasn’t Spongebob eligible for this Grammy cycle since it was released in September? I wish they held off because A. to be in next year’s cycle where the glowing reviews would have helped people to get to listen to it B. To actually capture the original cast on Broadway since some of the Chicago peps didn’t transfer (and their replacement’s sound ten times better).

I love the Dolly recording and I think it could win but I’m still predicting Hansen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It was just announced that Patti LuPone will be reprising her 1981 Grammy performance of ‘Don’t Cry for Me Argentina’ and Ben Platt will perform something from West Side Story in a special Broadway tribute honoring the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Leonard Bernstein on this year’s Grammys…
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Ben-Platt-Patti-LuPone-to-Perform-Broadway-Tribute-at-2018-GRAMMY-AWARDS-20180104

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

It seems odd for Patti to be doing this tribute, given her long-running feud with ALW. Burying the hatchet?

Also, who thinks of ALW and Bernstein in the same breath? Kind of random. Why not Sondheim or R&H for a Broadway tribute?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I know Patti has been generous enough over the years to perform ‘Don’t Cry for Me Argentina’ at various places (including a symphony concert I was in attendance of a few years ago, and it was epic). As for the tribute itself, who knows what’s going on behind the scenes. Maybe there’ll be more than just LuPone and Platt.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Given that Phantom will have celebrated its 30th anniversary just days before the Grammys, it seems even more curious to do something from Evita. But maybe the birthday boy will get a performance too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Since Ben Platt is going to be performing on the main telecast, that has me wondering if this category will also be presented on the main telecast instead of before the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m assuming they will present it as part of the tribute. It would seem silly not to do so.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

And the Grammy went to…

Dear Evan Hansen

Not only are Pasek & Paul now only an Emmy away from EGOT, but their Oscar-winning tune from La La Land (‘City of Stars’) just lost the category of Best Song Written for Visual Media to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s ‘How Far I’ll Go’ from Moana. I guess that is Lin’s consolation prize for not completing his EGOT last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ll probably see Pasek & Paul nominated again next year twice: for Best Visual Media Compilation Soundtrack for The Greatest Showman as well as Best Song Written For Visual Media for “This Is Me.” While I suspect they’ll win the former easily, they’ll probably be in a tough battle with the Lopezes for “Remember Me” from Coco in the latter, for which I could see the Lopezes winning, especially if they win the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

They could also be nominated for the soundtrack to A Christmas Story Live!, in which they wrote two new songs that could get them the Emmy this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.