Home Forums Theater 2018 Tony Award Performances

2018 Tony Award Performances

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Alex Meyer
FreemanGriffin
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Now that the nominations have been announced for this year’s Tony Awards, let’s use this thread to talk about what we think the nominated shows should/will perform on the telecast.

The Band’s Visit-‘Something Different’ would be an interesting choice since it is only a duet between Katrina Lenk & Tony Shalhoub.

Carousel-Every musical production Scott Rudin had been the lead producer of recently has only performed one number on the Tonys. Two years ago, Shuffle Along… only performed ‘Broadway Blues’. Last year, Rudin of course was the one held responsible for only having David Hyde Pierce performing ‘Penny in My Pocket’ from Hello, Dolly! instead of a big production number with Bette Midler. As for Carousel, I think it would be clever if they performed ‘June is Bustin’ Out All Over’ since the Tonys have been taking place in June. Plus, that number would showcase the two Featured Actresses nominated, Renée Fleming and Lindsay Mendez. Or they could showcase Joshua Henry’s nominated performance with his rendition of ‘Soliloquy’, though I wonder if that number might be too long for the telecast.

Frozen-Since this didn’t receive any acting nominations, I could see them performing either ‘For the First Time in Forever’ to showcase both Caissie Levy and Patti Murin. Or they could do the obvious, ‘Let It Go’.

Mean Girls-I haven’t really been following this musical, so I guess maybe ‘Fearless’ since that is a big number that closes the first act.

My Fair Lady-Previous Bartlett Sher-helmed revivals from Lincoln Center have performed medleys on the Tonys. South Pacific did ‘Nothing Like a Dame’, ‘Some Enchanted Evening’, and ‘A Wonderful Guy’. The King & I did ‘Getting to Know You’, ‘Something Wonderful’, and ‘Shall We Dance?’. I could see My Fair Lady doing a medley of ‘With a Little Bit of Luck’, ‘The Rain in Spain’, and ‘I Could Have Danced All Night’. Or those latter two numbers followed by ‘Get Me to the Church on Time’.

Once on This Island-For one, it should be interesting to see how the creative re-conceives the staging for Radio City Music Hall. Especially considering how well Fun Home and The Great Comet were both able to in the past. As for what numbers they could perform, they could do ‘Waiting for Life’ to showcase Hailey Kilgore and/or ‘Why We Tell the Story’ to show off the entire company.

SpongeBob SquarePants-Maybe ‘Bikini Bottom Day’ since that is a big production number that opens the show. Plus, it does seem like a great showcase for Ethan Slater.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

As for the other two musical productions this season that are still running…

Escape to Margaritaville-While this show has been struggling at the box office, I’m sure the producers are at least hoping they can make it to the Tonys so they could perform on the telecast for publicity. I could even see the performance beginning with Jimmy Buffett playing guitar, followed by him introducing the number, ‘One Particular Harbour’.

Summer: The Donna Summer Musical-I could see them performing ‘Last Dance’, which is the finale. While I haven’t seen the show myself, I’ll assume that it does feature the two nominated performances from LaChanze & Ariana DeBose.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

One of my friends is really into this season and has seen a good chunk of the shows (but then again he saw all of them last year) and has a whole dream list of performances. I asked him for his list:
    The Band’s Visit: “Welcome to Nowhere”
    Escape to Margaritaville: “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere”
    Frozen: “Love Is an Open Door”
    Mean Girls: “Where Do You Belong?”
    Prince of Broadway (which is his favorite thus far. He was there for one of the early shows but not opening night): “You’ve Got Possibilities”
    Spongebob Squarepants: “Just a Simple Sponge”
    Summer: “Last Dance”
    Carousel: “If I Loved You”

He hasn’t seen the others yet lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt Prince Of Broadway will perform since it closed way back in October.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am wondering if Bette Midler will perform this year on the Tony’s, probably the “Hello, Dolly!” production number. It would be a great way to begin the show!

I hope Alex Newell and Kenita R Miller are prominently featured in the “Once On This Island” number.

I hope we get excerpts from the best play nominees. It would be great to also get them from the five revivals as well.

I can still remember vividly Tim Daly and Annette Bening performing from Coastal Disturbances on the 1987 Tonys; I have seen every single Tony broadcast from 1967 onwards on YouTube. The 1971 broadcast is particularly amazing!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Plays haven’t really performed in recent years given how difficult it is to present a scene out-of-context. Hopefully, the Best Play nominees will once again be highlighted by the playwrights coming out on stage to discuss their work this year. I can already imagine Mark Rylance introducing his wife, Claire van Kampen and J.K. Rowling introducing Jack Thorne.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve always felt it odd that musicals that aren’t nominated for Best Musical or Best Revival Of A Musical are still allowed to perform on the telecast. If they weren’t, that would allow time for more awards like Best Book and Best Score to be presented on-air rather than commercial breaks. So, as a result, Escape To Margaritaville and Summer: The Donna Summer Musical shouldn’t be given slots to perform. They didn’t make the cut; why bother having them?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

For a while, it was just the nominees for Best Musical and Best Revival that would get to perform. But in 2008, the Tonys started including musical productions that weren’t nominated to perform anyway because the producers saw these opportunities as marketing tools.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Which is ludicrous to me because that would be like the Oscars doing a video tribute to a specific film that was not nominated for Best Picture. I remember one time the Tonys showing a performance of Hairspray live at sea on a cruise ship (and the show had already left Broadway), and they made Harvey Fierstein himself introduce it!!! It came across to me as a desperate ratings ploy, and nothing more. But what do you personally think of non-nominees being allowed to perform, Jeffrey? Do you like it or not?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Alex Meyer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

At least when there were so many non-nominees that were still running last year, only 2 of them (Bandstand and War Paint) got to perform. Although I wouldn’t have mind seeing Christy Altomare performing ‘Journey to the Past’ from Anastasia.

Of course, let’s not forget how Harvey Weinstein (whose career at this point shall rest in peace) had Jennifer Hudson preview a number from Finding Neverland a few years ago despite her not being involved with that show. And if I remember correctly, it wasn’t even officially announced that Finding Neverland would be coming to Broadway yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

But overall, do you think non-nominees for Best Musical or Best Revival Of A Musical should be allowed to perform: yes or no?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll say that if the producers would at least like to showcase performances that were recognized like Faith Prince in A Catered Affair, Idina Menzel in If/Then, Nick Cordero in Bullets Over Broadway, or Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole in War Paint, fine by me. Same with choreography that was also recognized like Come Fly Away, Promises, Promises, Rocky, On Your Feet!, and Bandstand.

Though if a musical production wasn’t recognized in any major category, but is still running, I’d say do what 9 to 5 did in 2009, and only perform during the opening number. By the way, that opening to the 2009 telecast is in my opinion one of the best Tony opening numbers ever.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The first performance has been announced for this year’s telecast, and it will be by none other than the Boss himself, Bruce Springsteen.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Bruce-Springsteen-Will-Perform-Live-at-the-Tony-Awards-20180606

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Throw stones at me but I have ZERO interest in seeing Bruce Springsteen perform on the Tony awards. ):

ReplyCopy URL
    jman02
    Participant
    Topics:

Spongebob are doing I’m Not a Loser. They’re rehearsing here.

https://twitter.com/NY1onstage/status/1004740300584177664

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.