Home Forums Theater 2018 Tony Awards Host?

2018 Tony Awards Host?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Alex Meyer
vinny
Andrew Carden
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

So we’re a little over two weeks away from the announcements of this year’s Tony nominations, and no host has still been announced yet. There’s also a pretty interesting track record for when a host is usually announced. Some have been announced a few months before the telecast like Hugh Jackman in 2014 and James Corden in 2016, others have been announced pretty late like Kristin Chenoweth & Alan Cumming in 2015. Not to mention that three of the four years Neil Patrick Harris hosted, he was announced after nominations were revealed.

Last year, the producers struggled trying to find a host, so they ended up with their 15th choice, Kevin Spacey, who was announced about a couple weeks prior to nominations. Though given those circumstances coupled with the mixed response he received, I already doubted Spacey would’ve been asked back anyway. Of course, his allegations of sexual-harassment made things even worse for him. All he’ll pretty much be hosting at this point are viewing parties in rehab.

As for this year, who knows when a host will be announced. Michael Riedel did report back in January that James Corden was offered to return, but we haven’t heard anything since. If he doesn’t return, who do you think should host? Hugh Jackman is just coming off of the box office success of The Greatest Showman, Neil Patrick Harris is either currently filming or just wrapped up the final season of A Series of Unfortunate Events, Stephen Colbert has a hit late night talk show on CBS that films about eight minutes away from Radio City Music Hall.

Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d go with Colbert because I’d like to see some new blood injected into the show, and I think he could brilliantly cross-mix Broadway and political jokes into his opening monologue. Plus, maybe he’ll have Laura Benanti come onstage as Melania Trump so that they can have one of their exchanges.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love to see any of the ones already mentioned host but three others also come to mind for me too:
    1)Lin Manuel Miranda
    2)Sean Hayes
    3)Matthew Broderick

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Bring Rosie back!

THE OSCAR 100 (#100-96): Kathleen Turner, Shelley Winters, Rosie Perez, Lesley Ann Warren and Kathy Bates

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Given the current cultural movements in American entertainment, the Tonys would do well to avoid having a white male host this year. The last female host was Kristin Chenoweth in 2015 and she co-hosted. The last host of color was Whoopi Goldberg in 2008.

The Tonys have had a more diverse slate of nominees and winners in recent years than probably any other major award, but that hasn’t extended to the telecast host.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

This year’s Tony Award host(s) are…
    Josh Groban & Sara Bareilles

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.