Home Forums Theater 2019-2020 BROADWAY PRODUCTIONS

2019-2020 BROADWAY PRODUCTIONS

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
14 hours ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
Alex Meyer
  • adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I think there are three shows that have a very safe shot at a Best Musical Nomination:

Girl from the North Country
    Moulin Rouge!
    Six

Mrs. Doubtfire and Flying Over Sunset are total unknowns at this point. I think Tina actually has a pretty good chance–it’s doing well in London and Adrienne Warren is poised to become a major star. There have been complaints about the book, so that’s in the negative column for it. Jagged Little Pill is getting wildly mixed reaction in early previews. It sounds like that kind of show that gets some performance nods, but not the Best Musical nomination, and the nominating committee may not fall into the age group most likely to be nostalgic about it. I don’t see Diana getting any traction and some of the San Diego reviews were–let’s say not encouraging. The Lightning Thief is just out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Then again, this might end up being another one of those lineups where whatever gets the fourth and/or fifth slots in Best Musical is only there as filler like we saw with Beetlejuice this past year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Klawitter
    Participant
    Topics:

Tracy Letts’ Broadway production of The Minutes has nabbed a pretty robust cast:

Tony-winning writer and actor Tracy Letts will lead the cast of his Pulitzer-finalist play The Minutes on Broadway next year. Letts will be joined by Tony winner Jessie Mueller and Golden Globe nominee Armie Hammer in the previously announced production, directed by Tony winner Anna D. Shapiro, scheduled to begin previews on February 25, 2020 and officially open on March 15 at the Cort Theatre.

The Minutes will also feature two stars of Letts’ current Broadway play Linda Vista, Ian Barford and Sally Murphy, along with Tony winner Blair Brown (Mary Page Marlowe), two-time Tony nominee K. Todd Freeman (Airline Highway), Tony nominee Austin Pendleton (Choir Boy), Cliff Chamberlain (Superior Donuts), Danny McCarthy (To Kill a Mockingbird) and Jeff Still (To Kill a Mockingbird).

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/196511/tracy-letts-jessie-mueller-armie-hammer-more-to-star-in-the-minutes-on-broadway/

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow! I remember hearing Tracy Letts talk about in a podcast interview a couple years ago that he would never act in his own plays. Yet, he is getting ready to do so. Also, Jessie Mueller in her first straight play on Broadway coupled with the fact that she and Letts were both in Steven Spielberg’s 2017 Oscar nominated film, The Post. Not to mention that she and Sally Murphy have both played Julie Jordan in two different productions of Carousel on Broadway. Speaking of Sally, she and Ian Barford have now joined a growing list of performers with two major appearances on Broadway this season that already includes Mary-Louise Parker, Marc Kudisch, and Greg Hildreth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Tina: The Tina Turner Musical has just opened on Broadway. While critics have been indifferent on the show as a whole, they all seemed to agree on one thing – a star is born in Adrienne Warren.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-TINA–THE-TINA-TURNER-MUSICAL-Opens-On-Broadway–See-What-The-Critics-Are-Saying-20191107

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Adrienne Warren was always the frontrunner for Lead Actress, but now we know the very mixed to not-so-good reviews for the show almost certainly takes it out of contention for Musical. Very similar to The Cher Show last year.

By the way, Warren’s breakout was her Tony-nominated performance in Shuffle Along so I wouldn’t say a star is born. This just cements her talent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Adrienne Warren was always the frontrunner for Lead Actress, but now we know the very mixed to not-so-good reviews for the show almost certainly takes it out of contention for Musical.

Then again, it is worth noting that Adrienne lost the Oliver Award for the West End production this past year to Sharon D. Clarke for Caroline, or Change. Since that latter production is transferring in the spring with Clarke reprising her role, we could be in for quite a Tony race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

In a recent interview with Vogue, director Ivo van Hove has revealed that his upcoming Broadway revival of West Side Story will have no intermission, meaning it will only run one act. The production will also be cutting the numbers ‘I Feel Pretty’ (which I’m sure Stephen Sondheim is thrilled about) and the ballet sequence in ‘Somewhere’. They’re also going to be using the 1961 film adaptation’s version of ‘America’ as opposed to the original. Audiences will also be further captivated by the use of video.
    https://www.vogue.com/article/west-side-story-broadway-ivo-van-hove

The changes have not only been approved by the creators’ estates but, in fact, reflect the original desires of Sondheim. The article also mentions that van Hove will be rearranging a few numbers. Does that mean the songs ‘Cool’ and ‘Gee, Officer Krupke’ will be switching places? I know that was a change Sondheim himself actually suggested for the 1961 movie.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 19 hours ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 2 days, 18 hours ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I can live without “I Feel Pretty,” not that it’s a bad song it’s just inappropriate given that Maria’s brother has just been killed. But I missed the Somewhere Ballet in the film, and it’s a shame to lose it here. I hope the Steven Spielberg film includes the Somewhere ballet. As long as they keep it and don’t bowlderise the lyrics like the first film did (lousy Hays code), that should be fine. Plus, they should cast actual Latinx people as the Puerto Ricans.

And I’m changing my list of Best Musical predictions–replace The Lightning Thief with Moulin Rouge! Of course The Lightning Thief will receive a Best Score nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

And yet, they still haven’t fired Amar Ramasar from West Side Story and replaced him with, you know, ANYONE who does NOT have sexual misconduct allegations against him. Chris Peterson from On Stage Blog is recommending not necessarily that audiences boycott the show in massive droves, but that those who do go should loudly boo at Amar Ramasar when he comes to take his bow during curtain call. https://www.onstageblog.com/editorals/2019/8/28/why-you-should-boo-amar-ramasar-in-west-side-story-revival?rq=Amar%20Ramasar

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Marc Shaiman is set to write original music which will serve as underscore for the upcoming Broadway revival of Plaza Suite.
    https://www.broadway.com/buzz/197550/marc-shaiman-to-write-original-music-for-plaza-suite-starring-matthew-broderick-sarah-jessica-parker/?fbclid=IwAR1xYzzO9D08bR5WHHTmaLpokYSEExbkb8sPCGnBhmnD0JwFXXSlQLuui14

ReplyCopy URL
    Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

Ever heard of the term cancel culture? Does that apply to Amar Ramasar?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.