Home Forums Theater 2019 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album

2019 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Alex Meyer
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
  • 24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

So its been confirmed that Jesus Christ Superstar has been submitted and accepted in this category… which is interesting. Technically it is a musical theater cast album… but from a TV production so… weird. I think its a safe bet for a nomination and might actually be the frontrunner to win! I mean will the Grammys give up an opportunity to award favorite John Legend again and favorite Sara Bareilles with her very first Grammy win???

Here are my predicts:

1. Jesus Christ Superstar
    2. Once on This Island
    3. The Band’s Visit (I think it will be nom’d but not win! Short album with a lot of instrumental)
    4. Carousel
    5. Mean Girls

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  24fanatic.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

You forgot about My Fair Lady. That musical has been nominated twice before through previous cast recordings in 1977 and 1988.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Mean Girls probably won’t be nominated because most critics hated its score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

And the nominees are…

THE BAND’S VISIT
    Etai Benson, Adam Kantor, Katrina Lenk & Ari’el Stachel, principal soloists; Dean Sharenow & David Yazbek, producers; David Yazbek, composer & lyricist (Original Broadway Cast)

CAROUSEL
    Renee Fleming, Alexander Gemignani, Joshua Henry, Lindsay Mendez & Jessie Mueller, principal soloists; Steven Epstein, producer (Richard Rodgers, composer; Oscar Hammerstein II, lyricist) (2018 Broadway Cast)

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE IN CONCERT
    Sara Bareilles, Alice Cooper, Ben Daniels, Brandon Victor Dixon, Erik Grönwall, Jin Ha, John Legend, Norm Lewis & Jason Tam, principal soloists; Harvey Mason, Jr., producer (Andrew Lloyd-Webber, composer; Tim Rice, lyricist) (Original Television Cast)

MY FAIR LADY
    Lauren Ambrose, Norbert Leo Butz & Harry Hadden-Paton, principal soloists; Andre Bishop, Van Dean, Hattie K. Jutagir, David Lai, Adam Siegel & Ted Sperling, producers (Frederick Loewe, composer; Alan Jay Lerner, lyricist) (2018 Broadway Cast)

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND
    Phillip Boykin, Merle Dandridge, Quentin Earl Darrington, Hailey Kilgore, Kenita R. Miller, Alex Newell, Isaac Powell & Lea Salonga, principal soloists; Lynn Ahrens, Hunter Arnold, Ken Davenport, Stephen Flaherty & Elliot Scheiner, producers (Stephen Flaherty, composer; Lynn Ahrens, lyricist) (New Broadway Cast)

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Jesus Christ Superstar shouldn’t have been eligible for this category because this was a TV production, not a theater production.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I WAS RIGHT I WAS RIGHT I WAS RIGHT!!!! Everyone on this board can go back and see I was the only one saying Jesus Christ Superstar is the frontrunner in the category, but everyone else was saying it would be ineligible. I’M ALWAYS RIGHT AND THE REGULARS ON THIS BOARD KNOW IT!!!!!!!!! I REALLY SHOULD BE THE ONLY ONE LISTENED TO ON THIS BOARD.

Also why wasn’t Tony Shaloub part of The Band’s Visit nomination?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Tony only had a very small singing part on the song, ‘Something Different’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Once on this island for the win!!

ReplyCopy URL
    unbb24
    Participant
    Topics:

Once on this island for the win!!

Same so that Lea Salonga can have a Grammy

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love for Once on this Island or The Band’s Visit to win, but Jesus Christ Superstar has it. The combination of John Legend and Sarah Bereilles will be too hard to ignore plus it was such a huge Emmy-winning success.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Meh, If John Legend is nominated he wins automatically… it’s getting annoying tbh.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

I WAS RIGHT I WAS RIGHT I WAS RIGHT!!!! Everyone on this board can go back and see I was the only one saying Jesus Christ Superstar is the frontrunner in the category, but everyone else was saying it would be ineligible. I’M ALWAYS RIGHT AND THE REGULARS ON THIS BOARD KNOW IT!!!!!!!!! I REALLY SHOULD BE THE ONLY ONE LISTENED TO ON THIS BOARD. Also why wasn’t Tony Shaloub part of The Band’s Visit nomination?

FYC EMMY 2019:
    - Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag): Lead Actress in a Comedy Series and Writing Comedy Séries (2x06)
    - Olivia Colman (Fleabag): Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I sadly suspect Jesus Christ Superstar probably will win this, and while I know many people will be thrilled to see Sara Bareilles finally win her first Grammy, that still doesn’t excuse the fact that this should’ve been nominated instead in Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media, because as a TV production, this was ultimately visual media, NOT real theater. But, who knows? The Band’s Visit shocked everyone by winning more Tonys than most people predicted it to, so maybe it’ll pull off an upset here. Ditto for Once On This Island.

ReplyCopy URL
    Justin Galaxy
    Participant
    Topics:

Once On This Island really deserves this but I would love for Sara to win her first Grammy. Too bad it won’t be for something Waitress-related as that score and cast album were lyrically and vocally stunning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m actually a bigger fan of the cast recordings for Bright Star, The Color Purple, and Fiddler on the Roof from that year, so I’m fine with Waitress not taking it. Plus, how could you not possibly give Cynthia Erivo a Grammy for her powerhouse vocal performance?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.