Home Forums Theater 2019 New York Times Tony Voter Survey

2019 New York Times Tony Voter Survey

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
True Tenor
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

As we’re now about 4 days away from this year’s Tony Awards, the New York Times’ annual survey with a good portion of voters should be published either tomorrow or Friday. As usual, please expect them to only dive into races for each of the eight following categories:

Best Musical
    Best Play
    Best Revival of a Musical
    Best Revival of a Play
    Best Lead Actor in a Musical
    Best Lead Actress in a Musical
    Best Lead Actor in a Play
    Best Lead Actress in a Play

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

With the New York Times voter poll probably going to be published later today (as it was in at least the four previous years), which of the top 8 categories are you most interested in reading about?

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Revival of a Play, because it could help in two categories. I think each will have some supporters, but it will come down to All My Sons and The Waverly Gallery. If there seems to be love for AMS, then I think Benjamin Walker has a real shot at Featured Actor. If TWG is out in front, then probably Bertie Carvel takes it. Within the other seven categories, I think we have a clear frontrunner. But it will be interesting to see how close some of those races are.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Here is the New York Times’ annual Tony voter poll, where they’ve surveyed about 123 out of 831 voters.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/theater/tony-awards-broadway-voter-survey-hadestown-ferryman.html?searchResultPosition

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, that was spectacularly unhelpful. The only race where there wasn’t a clear front-runner is too close to call.

ReplyCopy URL
    True Tenor
    Participant
    Topics:

It was interesting to hear that The Prom is a more likely runner up than Tootsie (with Hadestown pretty far out front of course). Also interesting to see that revival of a play is more of a 3 way race with a Boys in the Band much more a part of the race than everyone considering.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going with The Waverly Gallery because most of the revivals usually win an acting award or two, and Elaine May is a solid lock, so I can see how Tony voters may finally want to give Kenneth Lonergan a Tony as well to go with his Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Although almost half the time this past decade, the Tony winner for Best Revival of a Play (Death of a Salesman, Skylight, A View From the Bridge, and Jitney) did not take home a corresponding acting prize. I’m predicting The Boys in the Band to win because there really appears to be some sort of rooting factor for the show, especially with all the campaigns going on with playwright Mart Crowley and producer Ryan Murphy. The play has long been considered to be a landmark depiction of LGBT in the American theater ever since it originally premiered Off-Broadway back in 1968, and now there’s really been a resurgence thanks not only to last year’s Broadway premiere, but also to the recently announced film adaptation for Netflix.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I really can’t decide between Boys and Waverly. Last year, the NY Times poll had My Fair Lady a little ahead of Once On This Island, and in the end, Island took it. I’ve been saying Waverly all season since it opened so I’m going to stick with it, but like I said before, with a lot of love for Boys and featured play actor being anyone’s race, look for Robin De Jesus to go along for the ride.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.