Home Forums Theater 2019 Outer Critics Circle Awards

2019 Outer Critics Circle Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
prognosticator
Djoko
  • prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

No.

Given the reviews for Tootsie you might want to reconsider that prediction. I’m of the opinion Tootsie will sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure if Tootsie really can sweep. Tony voters in recent years have championed more originality in terms of staging, content, and material.

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

For Jeff Daniels and Laurie Metcalf to be snubbed here, do we think this means they have no chance of winning the Tony? (Assuming May/Jackson and Cranston are the frontrunners?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

No, because the Outer Critics Circle does not overlap with the Tonys. Three years ago, neither Reed Birney nor Jayne Houdyshell were even nominated at the OCC for The Humans, yet they both still went on to glory on Tony night. In 2014, Lena Hall wasn’t nominated by the Outer Critics Circle for Hedwig & the Angry Inch, yet that didn’t stop her from winning the Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Given the reviews for Tootsie you might want to reconsider that prediction. I’m of the opinion Tootsie will sweep.

Hell no. Tootsie may win book and actor, but that’s it. If there is a sweep, it will be Hadestown.

ReplyCopy URL
    prognosticator
    Participant
    Topics:

Hell no. Tootsie may win book and actor, but that’s it. If there is a sweep, it will be Hadestown.

Book + Actor has won musical consistently for quite some time now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

And the winners are…

OUTSTANDING NEW BROADWAY PLAY
    The Ferryman

OUTSTANDING NEW BROADWAY MUSICAL
    Hadestown

OUTSTANDING NEW OFF-BROADWAY PLAY
    White Noise

OUTSTANDING NEW OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL
    Girl From the North Country

OUTSTANDING BOOK OF A MUSICAL (Broadway or Off-Broadway)
    Robert Horn-Tootsie

OUTSTANDING NEW SCORE (Broadway or Off-Broadway)
    Anaïs Mitchell-Hadestown

OUTSTANDING REVIVAL OF A PLAY (Broadway or Off-Broadway)
    All My Sons

OUTSTANDING REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL (Broadway or Off-Broadway)
    Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish

OUTSTANDING DIRECTOR OF A PLAY
    Sam Mendes-The Ferryman

OUTSTANDING DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL
    Rachel Chavkin-Hadestown

OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHER
    Warren Carlyle-Kiss Me, Kate

OUTSTANDING SCENIC DESIGN (Play or Musical)
    David Korins-Beetlejuice

OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN (Play or Musical)
    Bob Mackie-The Cher Show

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN (Play or Musical)
    Bradley King-Hadestown

OUTSTANDING PROJECTION DESIGN (Play or Musical)
    Peter England-King Kong

OUTSTANDING SOUND DESIGN (Play or Musical)
    Peter Hylenski-King Kong

OUTSTANDING ORCHESTRATIONS
    Daniel Kluger-Oklahoma!

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A PLAY
    Bryan Cranston-Network

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A PLAY
    Elaine May-The Waverly Gallery

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
    Santino Fontana-Tootsie

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
    Stephanie J. Block-The Cher Show

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY
    Benjamin Walker-All My Sons

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY
    Celia Keenan-Bolger-To Kill a Mockingbird

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
    André De Shields-Hadestown

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
    Amber Gray-Hadestown

OUTSTANDING SOLO PERFORMANCE
    Mike Birbiglia-The New One

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/outer-critics-circle-award-winners-2019_88708.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=13may2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

And the winners are… OUTSTANDING NEW BROADWAY PLAY The Ferryman OUTSTANDING NEW BROADWAY MUSICAL Hadestown OUTSTANDING NEW OFF-BROADWAY PLAY White Noise OUTSTANDING NEW OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL Girl From the North Country OUTSTANDING BOOK OF A MUSICAL (Broadway or Off-Broadway) Robert Horn-Tootsie OUTSTANDING NEW SCORE (Broadway or Off-Broadway) Anaïs Mitchell-Hadestown OUTSTANDING REVIVAL OF A PLAY (Broadway or Off-Broadway) All My Sons OUTSTANDING REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL (Broadway or Off-Broadway) Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish OUTSTANDING DIRECTOR OF A PLAY Sam Mendes-The Ferryman OUTSTANDING DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL Rachel Chavkin-Hadestown OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHER Warren Carlyle-Kiss Me, Kate OUTSTANDING SCENIC DESIGN (Play or Musical) David Korins-Beetlejuice OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN (Play or Musical) Bob Mackie-The Cher Show OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN (Play or Musical) Bradley King-Hadestown OUTSTANDING PROJECTION DESIGN (Play or Musical) Peter England-King Kong OUTSTANDING SOUND DESIGN (Play or Musical) Peter Hylenski-King Kong OUTSTANDING ORCHESTRATIONS Daniel Kluger-Oklahoma! OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A PLAY Bryan Cranston-Network OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A PLAY Elaine May-The Waverly Gallery OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL Santino Fontana-Tootsie OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL Stephanie J. Block-The Cher Show OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY Benjamin Walker-All My Sons OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY Celia Keenan-Bolger-To Kill a Mockingbird OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL André De Shields-Hadestown OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL Amber Gray-Hadestown OUTSTANDING SOLO PERFORMANCE Mike Birbiglia-The New One https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/outer-critics-circle-award-winners-2019_88708.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=13may2019

These make some sense for a change. I’d be good with this for the Tonys. I think orchestrations might go to Hadestown because they usually go to the winner of best score.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

All the acting winners here may very well repeat at the Tonys. Though I wouldn’t be surprised for Ali Stroker to take Featured Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Amber Gray vs. Ali Stroker is the one that I am uncertain for the Tony. I have Ali in my predictions but am not sure about it at all…

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Amber Gray could be helped by the fact that she’s the only Featured Actress in a Musical nominee who is not up against a co-star.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

All the acting winners here may very well repeat at the Tonys. Though I wouldn’t be surprised for Ali Stroker to take Featured Actress.

I just did some research, and the last time that all eight Tony winners for acting showed up at the Outer Critics Circle Award was 2001. Though that year, there were several ties. Christine Ebersole (42nd Street) tied with Marla Schaffel (Jayne Eyre) for Outstanding Actress in a Musical; Viola Davis (King Hedley II) and Mary-Louise Parker (Proof) both tied for Outstanding Actress in a Play, though they would both go on to win Tonys in separate categories; and Gary Beach (The Producers) tied with André De Shields (The Full Monty) for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Amber Gray could be helped by the fact that she’s the only Featured Actress in a Musical nominee who is not up against a co-star.

And Amber just beat her without Mary Testa being a co-nominee to divert votes. I think featured actor might be the one that’s different at the Tonys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I just did some research, and the last time that all eight Tony winners for acting showed up at the Outer Critics Circle Award was 2001. Though that year, there were several ties. Christine Ebersole (42nd Street) tied with Marla Schaffel (Jayne Eyre) for Outstanding Actress in a Musical; Viola Davis (King Hedley II) and Mary-Louise Parker (Proof) both tied for Outstanding Actress in a Play, though they would both go on to win Tonys in separate categories; and Gary Beach (The Producers) tied with André De Shields (The Full Monty) for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play.

Also this year the OCCs include more of the nominated shows and performances that overlap with the Tonys. The drama desks only allowed Hadestown eligibility in certain categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

This is very misleading because, as you know, the OCCs and Drama Desks most years do not allow off-Broadway shows to be eligible again once they transfer to Broadway. Thus, the discrepancy between these awards and the Tonys. So you can’t go by these figures at all. It could very well be that the Tonys and OCCs match this year because the OCCs smartly let Hadestown compete even though it competed when it was off-Broadway too.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.