Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards Ceremony Reactions

2019 Tony Awards Ceremony Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
adamunc
FreemanGriffin
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know if the producers of the telecast actually tried, but what a missed opportunity it was that the real Cher wasn’t a part of the performance from The Cher Show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

After seeing The Prom’s Tony performance vs. The Cher Show’s Tong performance, I feel so stupid for predicting Beth Leavel.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I knew they would get that damn ape on here somehow.

Also, Scott Rudin is currently having a stroke over them letting a show have a segment from its home theater.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Only 3 more categories. Not expecting any surprises: Santino, Stephanie and Hadestown…

The show has underwhelmed me this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like the universe is just a little bit better now that Stephanie J. Block has a Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    SkyLight
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty boring show this year

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been really lucky to have seen five of the Tony winning performances for Lead Actress in a Musical (Sutton Foster, Jessie Mueller, Cynthia Erivo, Bette Midler, and Stephanie J. Block) from this past decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve now seen the last five Best Musical winners before their Tony wins.

This is why I was privately rooting against The Prom and Ain’t Too Proud, because I didn’t see those and I wanted to keep the streak going, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

I was perfect for all of the design categories, but then things started coming undone for me with Hadestown over Oklahoma for Orchestrations and Ain’t Too Proud over Kiss Me Kate for Choreography.

I really liked the clustering of the play acting categories together, but then making us wait so long for leading actor was rough, as the show then moved onto the musical categories, with so many trailblazers winning, which was great to see.

James Corden is such a great host and I really enjoyed everything he did, especially the Be More Chill tribute with Bareilles and Groban. #Iconiswasrobbed. I did find it odd how some shows had introducers, and strange ones at that (Jane Krakowski for Tootsie? Kristin Chenoweth for The Prom?), and others didn’t. Playwrights talking about their plays is a nice touch to get those shows representation, though.

And while it was rough to see The Prom get shut out, it was still a very entertaining show all around!

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

The show kind of bored me this year. I’m glad I was right months ago, as Jeffrey Kare can attest, about Hadestown (almost) sweeping the Tonys. I’m sad I didn’t get to see The Boys in the Band when it was on Broadway, but I’m happy it won. If only Fiddler transferred to Broadway this season it would’ve been such a worthy Revival winner. I also called The Ferryman’s Tony win after I saw it in London a year and a half ago. Now onto next year where The Inheritance will rightfully sweep the Tonys!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Djoko.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Every year, one of my against-the-mill predictions always seems to come true. Last year, it was SpongeBob SquarePants winning Scenic Design Of A Musical. This year, it was Ali Stroker. After seeing her perform “I Cain’t Say No” on various talk shows, I thought “She’s winning the Tony.” And I was right.

I learned my lesson to stick with my gut after I initially predicted Bandstand for Best Choreography, but then changed my mind, first to Come From Away and then Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet Of 1812. And then, lo and behold, Bandstand won.

ReplyCopy URL
    The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

This year, it was Ali Stroker. After seeing her perform “I Cain’t Say No” on various talk shows, I thought “She’s winning the Tony.” And I was right.

I think those of us still predicting Amber were in denial. Stroker had too many things going for her–in the Revival frontrunner (and the only way they could reward it in the acting categories, since nobody was gonna beat Santino), gave an amazing performance, and is visibly disabled. That last one sounds awful, I know, but it can’t be ignored as a reason somebody could vote for her.

Anyway, I know she and Amber will both have long careers, so I just gotta wait for the queen to get hers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I think those of us still predicting Amber were in denial. Stroker had too many things going for her–in the Revival frontrunner (and the only way they could reward it in the acting categories, since nobody was gonna beat Santino), gave an amazing performance, and is visibly disabled. That last one sounds awful, I know, but it can’t be ignored as a reason somebody could vote for her.

Anyway, I know she and Amber will both have long careers, so I just gotta wait for the queen to get hers.

Ali Stroker is I’m sure great in the show (she was out when I saw it), but Tony voters obviously wanted a moment and couldn’t resist voting for her for it. Amber Gray definitely should have won, but I’m not mad at Stroker’s win. I’m sure it will change the life of at least one disabled person watching and dreaming they could be her one day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Here is Broadway World’s review roundup of last night’s telecast.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-What-Did-the-Critics-Think-of-the-2019-TONY-AWARDS-20190610

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

During last night’s show, I was struck once again by how articulate and thoughtful the acceptance speeches were. You can really tell with theater professionals that they are accustomed to giving clean presentations in front of live audiences, unlike some of the bumbling speeches you see more frequently at the Oscars and Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.