Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards nominations: Reactions and predictions

2019 Tony Awards nominations: Reactions and predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
Singsongoflov..
  • adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Even more stunning than Glenda’s snub is the fact that there are six nominees in her category and she still didn’t get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    BarryMotivates
    Participant
    Topics:

I am not sold on Jackson or Gary, but agree with you 100% on Patrick Valli.

ReplyCopy URL
    BarryMotivates
    Participant
    Topics:

The NY Times review was positive. Almost all the rest…not so much!

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

They did Glenda Jackson dirty.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoa. I actually got 6th in the leaderboards. Wasn’t expecting that. I guess my biggest risks I took were Gideon Glick for Featured Actor, Ain’t Too Proud for Director, and Ruth Wilson for King Lear.

Still, no one could have predicted the TKAM snub for Best Play and Glenda Jackson not being in the Top 6 of her category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

That article made Rudin sound horrible. I can see why he might have turned the nominating committee off from “TKAM” in Best Play (but not elsewhere, as it’s hard to deny both a critical and commercial success outright).

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominations were kind of weird today…

How do you nominate To Kill A Mockingbird 9 times and not in Best Play?? I’m sorry, but the “politics” behind this decision are dumb. Scott Rudin still is nominated elsewhere today, so why hurt the other producers/creators??? I guess they wanted a clear path for The Ferryman to win.

So Beetlejuice is all of the sudden good now? Did they fix its problems because everything I have read about this musical has been mixed to bad??

I feel bad for Be More Chill… I guess deep down inside I knew it wouldn’t connect to the older Tony voters. Feel bad especially for George Salazar who has been playing his role for years only to be snubbed today.

Ain’t Too Proud seemed to overperform today. Any chance it could upset Hadestown for Best Musical??? It’s definitely more commercial. I can’t tell who is in the lead… which I guess will make this a fun race. With the exception of Beetlejuice, any of the Best Musical nominees could win!

Happy for on-the-bubble nominees getting in: Gideon Glick, Eva Noblezada, Caitlin Kinnunen, Adam Driver, Benjamin Walker, Ruth Wilson and Jeremy Pope (twice!).

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Glad I was right as usual. Hadestown and The Ferryman killed it in the noms and Reeve Carney’s snub was not a surprise. Only surprise was To Kill a Mockingbird not nominated in Play. The Tony committee definitely wanted to punish Rudin.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Rudin definitely got smacked down on Mockingbird and Lear. Gary overperformed, but I think that was more about giving a big hug to a beloved cast and to Taylor Mac. I found it hilarious and entertaining, but can definitely see how it would be polarizing, which makes its Best Play nod a little surprising. The set should be a front-runner to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Though nominators were at least kind enough to recognize Rudin’s production of The Waverly Gallery for Best Revival of a Play.

ReplyCopy URL
    RUCookie
    Participant
    Topics:

There was not a lot of surprise in the best musical category.  Be More Chill was juvenile, at best, and completely over hyped.  It played like an afternoon special of the 80’s.  The only stand out performance in that show was George Salazar’s Michael in the Bathroom.  For those passing judgement that Beetlejuice got the nomination that was theirs – they failed to see Beetlejuice for more than just kitchy schmultz and dismissed the layered story of a girl in pain and spiraling depression. Alex Brightman was magnetic in the role, the sets come alive and the cast has fun.  There is nothing wrong with fun theatre.  Aint Too Proud had a fabulous day – it was exciting to see the show shine.  I feel its the best jukebox musical since Jersey Boys.  Tells an honest story and lays the truth bare.  (And that dancing – wow the synchronicity)  The Prom was the biggest given – it had heart, it had laughs, and it left you in a good mood.  It deals with some timely stuff and brings it down to a human level.  I am cheering for this show to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    RUCookie
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the snubs – I have to say that I would have loved to see just a little love for Head Over Heels.  Bonnie Milligan killed it… was a clear stand out this season … from her temper tantrums, to her sultry duos to her insane belting… a scene stealer to say the least!  And the choreography!  That number with the drum sticks was superb and unique and should have been recognized.

I would have loved to see Sophia Anne Caruso from Beetlejuice recognized for her shattered, lost, grieving teenager that connects with Beetlejuice out of sheer desperation.

Then there is Angie Schworer in The Prom that played a pivotal role in helping Emma (Kailen) find her legs and confidence.  She provided heart, pluck and lots of high kicks.

However, all these ladies were in the most insanely jam packed category of talent – Featured Actress in a Musical.  Just damn.

In the Featured Actor category – the Tony’s just plain got it wrong not nominating Christopher Sieber.  Another scene stealer.  There were times he stole the stage from Brooks, and that is saying something… maybe someone went to Julliard.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, I totally underestimated Beetlejuice and Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus and overestimated Be More Chill. I thought the two former would only get nominations in design categories. And To Kill A Mockingbird getting snubbed for Best Play: I have to agree that the nominating committee wanted to punish Scott Rudin for his monopolizing over regional theaters and forcing them to cancel productions of the Christopher Sergel adaptation. I actually took Ivo Van Hove out of my predictions for Best Director In A Play at the last minute and replaced him with Lila Neugebauer for The Waverly Gallery, and she didn’t even get in! Grrr! I know some people were doubting Heidi Schreck would make it into Best Actress In A Play, but I predicted her all along, and I was right!! I was also right one play would get nominated for Best Score, but it wasn’t the one I predicted. I originally predicted King Lear mainly because I thought voters would name-check Philip Glass.

As for the nominations announcement, thank God Bebe Neuwirth and Brandon Victor Dixon didn’t mispronounce too much. But why the hell couldn’t Gayle King just let them say “The nominees for Best….are”? The constant back and forth at the podium like that was very distracting. Also, big time letdown by not actually showing the nominees listed on screen like they did in previous years.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

So much for Gbenga Akinnagbe for Best Featured Actor! Gideon Glick getting nominated instead is surprising!

Hard to know what the frontrunner actually is for Best Revival of a Play – none of them were nominated for Best Director and they were all nominated for only 2 or 3 nominations each.

Beetlejuice doing so well – could it be that it was the last show they saw syndrome?

The only other thought I had about To Kill A Mockingbird is that it is an adaptation rather than an original play… it’s an enormous surprise.

Laurie Metcalf once again is the sole nominee from her production.

Both Kristine Nielsen and Julie White in Featured Actress surprises me.

Andy G for Tootsie? Shocked by that one!

Hadestown is going to win big on Tony night.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.