Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards nominations: Reactions and predictions

2019 Tony Awards nominations: Reactions and predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
Singsongoflov..
  • pietro_danton
    Participant
    Topics:

Mighty BOOS to the insulting, stupid Tony Nominating comity who always manage to outrage people with some mighty powerful snubs. No different this year. THEY MUST BE MAD overlooking TKAM and Glenda. Shame on them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Just came from seeing Aint Too Proud with Glenn Close. I have to say I freaking loved the show. It deserves all of its Tony noms. I would even give Derrick Baskin the win. It’s skyrocketed to my second favorite of the year behind Hadestown and just ahead of The Prom. Meeting Glenn was the icing on the cake.

ReplyCopy URL
    SkyLight
    Participant
    Topics:

Will Block really win? The last winner of that category that wasn’t nominated for Best Musical or Revival was 19 years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

No, Stephanie J. Block probably won’t win. The Cher Show will probably only win for Best Costume Design.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I will say that if we see a big sweep for Hadestown on Tony night, I would not be surprised if Eva Noblezada gets caught up in it by winning Lead Actress in a Musical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Eva Noblezada can definitely be caught up in a Hadestown sweep, but don’t count out Beth Leavel who is amazing in The Prom. If they want to give the show “something” then I think Leavel will be the best place to do it. If I was voting I would give it to Leavel.

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like the last snubbed play with 3 acting noms inc lead was 1990, Hot Tin Roof, back when revival merged musicals/plays together

ReplyCopy URL
    Dao Truong Giang
    Participant
    Topics:

About Gbenga Akinnagbe, I NEVER understood why he was no. 1 in the odds while he was not in the top 10. If any supporting actor from TKAM could get the nom, it was always Gideon Glick or Will Pullen. So to me, not surprising.

Also about TKAM, maybe, just MAYBE they just don’t like it. We already saw that with the Drama Desk (1 nom overall), and Outer Critics (underperformance).

Gary is sort of like Vice at the Oscars this year, polarizing. But the people who love it LOVE it.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

No, Stephanie J. Block probably won’t win. The Cher Show will probably only win for Best Costume Design.

Aren’t Bob Macki’es costumes recreations rather than original designs? I am predicting William Ivey Long will win for Tootsie.

Best Actress in a Musical is incredibly competitive this year, which is highly unusual: Block, Leavel, Noblezada and O’Hara all could win, the first three more likely than the last though.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

What is the explanation for Andy G’s nomination for Tootsie? Patrick Vaill, George Salazar, and Christopher Sieber all seemed much more likely and OCC nominated John Behlmann and Reg Rogers… This to me is the single most puzzling nomination this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Also about TKAM, maybe, just MAYBE they just don’t like it. We already saw that with the Drama Desk (1 nom overall), and Outer Critics (underperformance).

Well, To Kill a Mockingbird did receive 9 nominations overall, so maybe it actually did come close to a Best Play nomination. Then again, I could see some members of the nominating committee feeling “Well, that’s getting in, but I’m going to nominate something else”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

What is the explanation for Andy G’s nomination for Tootsie? Patrick Vaill, George Salazar, and Christopher Sieber all seemed much more likely and OCC nominated John Behlmann and Reg Rogers… This to me is the single most puzzling nomination this year.

I guess it might’ve been a combination of two things. The first being how much the nominators liked Tootsie. The second probably being the role Andy is playing. I’ve only seen the original film once, and I remember the character of Jeff Slater being pretty prominent.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Andy G.’s role is very prominent and is absolutely filled with memorable one-liners. He opens the second act with a very funny patter song summarizing the action thus far that got huge rolling laughs. He also figures prominently in a funny twist on the film at the end. I had actually predicted John Behlmann because he has a couple of very showy scenes as the dumb hunk, but Andy’s role is bigger and he gets to play a lot of reaction scenes to the lunacy going on around him. I nearly switched my prediction from Behlmann to him and am kicking myself, but it’s not surprising the nominating committee picked him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam Eckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

@adamunc I did the same thing as you! There’s no mystery with Andy Grotelueschen’s nomination if you’ve seen the show. He’s wonderful. I knew a Tootsie actor would take a spot, it was just a matter of figuring out which one. I waffled between him and John Behlmann and ultimately chose Behlmann b/c he has more singing to do and had the OCC nom. But I’m not surprised Andy made it in as he steals every scene in which he appears and plays a likable character.

(ALSO kicking myself for taking Jeremy Pope out of featured actor right before the prediction center closed when I had him at 100/1 odds the entire season. I do that with someone every year and never learn!)

re: Bob Mackie. Yes, many of his pre-existing costumes are featured in The Cher show (like all of Cher’s Oscar dresses). But he also created original costumes as well. If all the outfits were only recreations, he would not have been eligible for nomination.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Sam Eckmann.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Sam Eckmann.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.