Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards nominations: Reactions and predictions

2019 Tony Awards nominations: Reactions and predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
Singsongoflov..
  • Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Next year’s Daytime Emmy winner? http://www.playbill.com/article/watch-hadestown-cast-perform-livin-it-up-on-top-on-nbcs-today

Wow. I love the show but had fears about whether it would translate on television. It seems they did just fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how Jeffrey Kare and I reiterate all the time that the pre-awards like the OCC and Drama Desks have no bearing on the Tonys, but people still go by their noms and wins. When the Drama Desks nominated those two Tootsie actors, Freeman Griffin asked if they’ll be nominated for the Tony and I said NO. Did anyone listen? Of course not. Because no one on here wants to listen to someone who is always right. MEEEEEEE!!!!

Year after year I see all the shows and am right about everything, but that’s ok… keep stupidly going by nonsense like the OCC or Drama Desks. Right, Jeffrey Kare?

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m honestly shocked Michael Musto is predicting Stephanie J. Block to win, even though The Cher Show has no other nominations in the important categories. Is she really that overdue for a Tony? It’s only her third nomination and she’s only in her 40s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Djoko if you’re always right who’ll win in the featured actor and actress in a musical categories? Those are the hardest to call.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how Jeffrey Kare and I reiterate all the time that the pre-awards like the OCC and Drama Desks have no bearing on the Tonys, but people still go by their noms and wins. When the Drama Desks nominated those two Tootsie actors, Freeman Griffin asked if they’ll be nominated for the Tony and I said NO. Did anyone listen? Of course not. Because no one on here wants to listen to someone who is always right. MEEEEEEE!!!!

Year after year I see all the shows and am right about everything, but that’s ok… keep stupidly going by nonsense like the OCC or Drama Desks. Right, Jeffrey Kare?

Yeah, I think it’s important to pay more attention to whatever the New York Times voter poll says. While they don’t forecast potential winners in every single category, they can still be helpful. For example, last year’s survey hinted that The Band’s Visit was going dominate big time over its more family-friendly competition (Frozen, Mean Girls, and SpongeBob).

ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I think it’s important to pay more attention to whatever the New York Times voter poll says. While they don’t forecast potential winners in every single category, they can still be helpful. For example, last year’s survey hinted that The Band’s Visit was going dominate big time over its more family-friendly competition (Frozen, Mean Girls, and SpongeBob).

I’ve seen the voter poll. What about Brantley and Green? I wish they’d leave well enough alone with their will and should win picks until the votes were in (I seem to recall years ago they released those picks right after the ballots were turned in). It seems like they have enough clout to send votes in a particular direction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It is worth noting that neither Ben Brantley nor Jesse Green are Tony voters. There was a time when a lot of members of the press were Tony voters, but they were all kicked off as a conflict of interest in the 2009-10 season. Though the following season, members of the New York Drama Critics Circle (which does not include anyone from the Times) were welcomed back into the voting body.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing I noticed about one of this year’s nominees, Fionnula Flanagan. She has to be in the top 5 in terms of longest gaps between Tony nominations. I know Barbara Cook holds the all-time record of 52 years in between nominations, but Flanagan has to be up there, as this is her first nomination since 1974, which was 45 years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

It is worth noting that neither Ben Brantley nor Jesse Green are Tony voters. There was a time when a lot of members of the press were Tony voters, but they were all kicked off as a conflict of interest in the 2009-10 season. Though the following season, members of the New York Drama Critics Circle (which does not include anyone from the Times) were welcomed back into the voting body.

I remember Paul Wontorek of Broadway.com said in his Show People interview with David Yazbek last year that he was once a Tony voter, but isn’t anymore. He must have been among the press members who got kicked off that season.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Alex Meyer.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Alex Meyer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I know but it seems like their little column has some sway. I really wish they’d hold back for a few weeks. I mean voters read that stuff.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

If you remember, which you should, I predicted The Band’s Visit sweep before the NY Times voters poll came out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

CBS This Morning did an interview with Ali Stroker about her historic nomination. http://www.playbill.com/article/ali-stroker-talks-making-broadway-history-with-her-2019-tony-nomination

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

In Michael Riedel’s latest column, he does a profile on the Tony nominated book writer of Tootsie, Robert Horn.
    https://nypost.com/2019/05/02/tootsie-writer-went-from-garbage-collector-to-tony-nominee/

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

These are my current predictions, subject to change over the next month:

Plays
    Best Play: The Ferryman
    Best Revival: All My Sons
    Best Director: Sam Mendes, The Ferryman
    Best Actor: Bryan Cranston, Network
    Best Actress: Elaine May, The Waverly Gallery
    Best Featured Actor: Bertie Carvel, Ink
    Best Featured Actress: Celia Keenan-Bolger, To Kill a Mockingbird
    Best Scenic Design: Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus
    Best Costume Design: Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus
    Best Lighting Design: Network
    Best Sound Design: Choir Boy

Musicals
    Best Musical: Hadestown
    Best Revival: Oklahoma!
    Best Director: Rachel Chavkin, Hadestown
    Best Actor: Santino Fontana, Tootsie
    Best Actress: Stephanie J Block, The Cher Show
    Best Featured Actor: Andre de Shields, Hadestown
    Best Featured Actress: Ali Stroker, Oklahoma!
    Best Choreography: Warren Carlyle, Kiss me, Kate
    Best Orchestrations: Hadestown
    Best Score: Anais Mitchell, Hadestown
    Best Book: Anais Mitchell, Hadestown
    Best Scenic Design: Beetlejuice
    Best Costume Design: Tootsie
    Best Lighting Design: Ain’t Too Proud
    Best Sound Design: Ain’t Too Proud

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

CBS This Morning did an interview with Ali Stroker about her historic nomination. http://www.playbill.com/article/ali-stroker-talks-making-broadway-history-with-her-2019-tony-nomination

This is another “Glee” alum! How about that? So unexpected yet thrilled for Ali Stroker’s historic nomination! Alex Newell was also from “Glee” and should have been recognized for “Once on This Island” last year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.