Home Forums Theater 2019 Tony Awards: Reactions

2019 Tony Awards: Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 161 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Djoko
Singsongoflov..
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are both of the New York Times’ chief theater critics, Ben Brantley and Jesse Green, giving their picks for who should win, will win, and should’ve been nominated.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/theater/tony-awards-critics-picks.html?smtyp=cur

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are both of the New York Times’ chief theater critics, Ben Brantley and Jesse Green, giving their picks for who should win, will win, and should’ve been nominated. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/theater/tony-awards-critics-picks.html?smtyp=cur

These seem a little different and guided more by their preferences imo.

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s hilarious that Brantley thinks Tootsie is going to win musical, book, and score. Book, sure. Musical? Maybe, but I doubt it. However, the score award is already engraved with Anais Mitchell’s name. Though overall their predictions are a little less out of touch than most years.

I hate this business of letting them drag in stuff from off-Broadway in the should-have-been-nominated section. We already have awards that combine the two; why do we have to take the Tonys down that apples and oranges path too?

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Can someone copy and paste the article please?

Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I hate this business of letting them drag in stuff from off-Broadway in the should-have-been-nominated section. We already have awards that combine the two; why do we have to take the Tonys down that apples and oranges path too?

I don’t get it either. It’s completely pointless throwing in Off-Broadway shows when they’re not even eligible. That would be like saying TV shows got snubbed for the Oscars and theatrical movies got snubbed for the Emmys.

Anton Spivack
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t get it either. It’s completely pointless throwing in Off-Broadway shows when they’re not even eligible. That would be like saying TV shows got snubbed for the Oscars and theatrical movies got snubbed for the Emmys.

I agree.  If they were talking about the Drama Desks or some other award for both Broadway and Off-Broadway I would agree with them but someone who reviews theatre for a living should accept that only Broadway shows are eligible.  I do agree that Bonnie Milligan should have been nominated.

montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Ali Stroker really more deserving than Amber Gray? Seems there’s been a mad rush from gray to Stroker. Is it really based on performance or the history that a Stroker win would mean?

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Ali Stroker really more deserving than Amber Gray? Seems there’s been a mad rush from gray to Stroker. Is it really based on performance or the history that a Stroker win would mean?

I happen to think Gray gives a better performance. There are politics here and yes Stroker being a visibly disabled actor helps her (I say visibly because I’m willing to bet someone with an invisible disability has won). Stroker is good but I think Gray is just a bit better. As Jeffrey has pointed out, Gray is the only one in her category without a co-star from the same show nominated. I do wonder if the production of Oklahoma! being as divisive as  it seems will hurt Stroker. Obviously this isn’t the be all and end all for anyone. All of these women are doing exceptional work and will continue to do so. My heart is with Gray, whose performance in many ways is the very heart of her show and who is giving a tour de force performance. However, I’m sure the world will go on if Stroker wins.

And this will be a close race I think. This and musical will probably be the closest imo.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I happen to think Gray gives a better performance. There are politics here and yes Stroker being a visibly disabled actor helps her (I say visibly because I’m willing to bet someone with an invisible disability has won). Stroker is good but I think Gray is just a bit better. As Jeffrey has pointed out, Gray is the only one in her category without a co-star from the same show nominated. I do wonder if the production of Oklahoma! being as divisive as it seems will hurt Stroker. Obviously this isn’t the be all and end all for anyone. All of these women are doing exceptional work and will continue to do so. My heart is with Gray, whose performance in many ways is the very heart of her show and who is giving a tour de force performance. However, I’m sure the world will go on if Stroker wins.

And this will be a close race I think. This and musical will probably be the closest imo.

Musical is not even close. Hadestown has it in the bag and will win a lot come Tony night. I also think Gray should win, but we don’t really know how much sentimentality will play a role in that category. I’d like to think the Tony voters will award the best performance and give it to Gray.

adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve seen all the Featured Actress nominees and I would rank them this way:

Stroker
    Gray
    Stiles
    Cooper
    Testa

Gray is indeed the heart of her show in many ways, but so is Stroker. This production of Oklahoma! is difficult — often fascinating, but also often grim. Stroker lights up the stage and grounds this version in humanity. Her “I Cain’t Say No” is the highlight of the show and her warmth and sparkle follow her all over the stage. I think voters may respond to that and see her as their “way in” to this particular vision of the show. We’ll never know for sure, but I suspect this will be one of the closest votes of the season.

That said, I will be happy whichever one wins. (And I don’t think any of the others has any real chance.)

And why is Featured Actress always the most wrenching category? I had same issue a couple of years ago when I desperately wanted Rachel Bay Jones and Stephanie J. Block both to win. And the year before that with Renee Elise Goldsberry and Jane Krakowski. And so on.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I will say that if Sarah Stiles pulls an upset for Tootsie (which I’m not predicting by any stretch of the imagination), I can see people viewing that as poetic justice for Terri Garr losing the Oscar for that same character in the original film. Of course, Garr lost to her co-star Jessica Lange pretty much because she had an additional nomination in Best Actress for Frances that year.

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

I will say that if Sarah Stiles pulls an upset for Tootsie (which I’m not predicting by any stretch of the imagination), I can see people viewing that as poetic justice for Terri Garr losing the Oscar for that same character in the original film. Of course, Garr lost to her co-star Jessica Lange pretty much because she had an additional nomination in Best Actress for Frances that year.

I think anyone but Cooper who I found bland and uninteresting would be fine. And I do wonder if Gray and Stroker might end up canceling each other out. My heart is with Gray and for the first time in about three years I’ve seen every nominated musical performance. She is on another level. I’d be fine with a tie between Stroker and Gray. I don’t think Stroker carries her show the way Gray does. I saw Oklahoma! and while I did like her performance very much, Damon Duanno really impressed me and I think Mary Testa’s fresh take on Aunt Eller was very interesting too.

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Musical is not even close. Hadestown has it in the bag and will win a lot come Tony night. I also think Gray should win, but we don’t really know how much sentimentality will play a role in that category. I’d like to think the Tony voters will award the best performance and give it to Gray.

Hadestown better announce a tour. Tootsie just did. They need those road votes.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

A few years ago, it was revealed that the road voters only make up about 10% of the voting bloc.

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

A few years ago, it was revealed that the road voters only make up about 10% of the voting bloc.

That could make a huge difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘2019 Tony Awards: Reactions’ is closed to new replies.